Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 07 GXP with trifecta tune if any of that matters...i may have put some cheep gas (Go Mart) for the past 2 fill ups...its 92 octane, and i have normally been putting 93 as thats what the tune says to do...i have a gas station right down the road that is 91 with zero ethanol, and i have used that before and the car seemed to love it....but anyway, i have noticed its running a little rough lately, maybe a little loss of power, and when i come to stop lights, it idles kinda rough....soo i was just thinking of what i used to do to my old car, but it wasnt turbo and i dont know if any of those are bad for tubo....

...what do you guys recommend? how do you use seafoam (i have heard its not the best for adding in the fuel) ...and will it hurt the turbo? i have heard there is a foam aerosol version that may make it easier for me (as i really know nothing about cars or mechanics) ....also does MMO (marvel mystery oil) added in the gas tank help clean stuff up? , is there better options? ...i also read on here that running the car hard, WOT at high RPM could help clean up some carbon? I havnt "played" with the car much recently, maybe i should take it out today (its really nice out here)
....sorry for all the questions, hopefully someone can help me out...thanks guys -Jesse B

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
(as i really know nothing about cars or mechanics)
Use the proper 100% synthetic oil, premium gas and an occasional gas treatment such as Techron (to get water out). The rest is hype.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i always use Mobile 1 Synthetic, and normally always get 93 octane...but at the gomart here in town the premium is 92, and my car seems to be running rough now...do u think techron would help out?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Might, and I would stick with major brand premium. Off brand stuff is from who knows where.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good man, thanks for your help! also, my oil life reading is 41% what do you normally change yours at, i was thinking 40ish is about the right time to change it?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
That's all well and good, but if you recently bought your car and haven't changed the oil yourself, my opinion is $50 for oil and a filter would be money well spent and you'd know what you have.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both...TS, can I ask at what % reading do you change yours? ...and also I have changed it before and it has Mobile 1 Synthetic

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Well, my car isn't a daily driver and so is low mileage. I've changed mine at roughly 12-15 month intervals so far - but the OLM still probably had 50% or more left on it.

If it was a high-mileage daily driver though, I personally wouldn't change before 15-20% or so. But YMMV :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is a high mileage daily driver...my one way drive to work is almost 2 hours...all highway :)
...its just new to me not to change the oil every 3k ...it makes me feel like im not taking care of it...

...thanks for your help, both of you!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I change mine (myself) at 20% on DIC. I change filter (so easy!) at 60% and 20%.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Yes - the oil article was one of those "wow" moments for me after I joined the forum!

Jesse - I'm with Glake on the "change it yourself if you just bought it" approach. That's exactly what was going through my mind - thinking "I don't know what the hell was left in this thing when I bought it, nor do I know the last time the filter was changed." Buying the right size socket to get the filter off was the most difficult part of the change. The second biggest challenge was finding a drain pan shallow enough to fit under the car. It was truly one of the easiest oil changes I've ever done.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
The socket is really not that hard to find. Any Sears or HarborFreight has them. You just need either a 32mm (metric) or 1 1/4" (SAE) socket (regular or shallow - not deep).

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
lol! I should have been more specific and stated that the socket was "off the shelf" almost anywhere tools are sold! That's my sarcasm saying shelling out a few bucks for a socket was the only "hard" part about the change. Everything else was pretty much a cake walk.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
lol! I should have been more specific and stated that the socket was "off the shelf" almost anywhere tools are sold! That's my sarcasm saying shelling out a few bucks for a socket was the only "hard" part about the change. Everything else was pretty much a cake walk.
My bad :)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
A BG Induction cleaning and fuel flush!! (or something similar at your dealership)

I can tell you that I have owned my other car, a 98 Mustang GT for 11 years. When I bought it with 58k on it, I noticed that I had engine knock with anything less then premium...and I was getting about 14mpg in the city and 18 highway. I had a BG fuel flush done at the dealership where I worked. (The actual pressurized one where they bypass your fuel pump and the car runs off of the stuff in the can) My Mustang went to 18mpg in the city and 23 highway and no engine knock on regular!! It also made an improvement with acceleration.

Will it do the same for a turbo car??? I don't know. All I can tell you is what it did for my Mustang. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on my GXP if it can be done. Find out from your dealer! It's not cheap... $89-$139 depending on dealer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I made my own filter wrench for my NA. Bought a cheap 1.25 in wrench heated and bent it in the right spots-perfect fit. Now that I have a GXP, it is not needed. A normal 1.25 socket can reach it no problem.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Wow I am amazed at what people post, there is very little difference between synthetic oils, you don't need to use Mobil 1, you do need to use synthetic I prefer 100% synthetic there are only a few. Full synthetic does not mean 100%.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts