Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to clean my headlights. Gonna buy the kit but I don't think there is anything to seal them when I remove the haze. What would you guys recommend using to seal them? I thought about some clear coat paint that you can get for rims but don't know if that will hold up to the heat.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a new 3M kit now, that includes some kind of sealant. Not sure about the efficacy, but may be worth a try first. Amazon.com: 3M 39045 Headlight Renewal Kit with Protectant: Automotive

Also this: Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive. Again, no experience, but this one apparently comes with a paint-on sealant too. Though it doesn't include the drill sander that the 3M ones do.

Otherwise, regular clear coat should work. Doesn't get that hot.
Thanks for the advice and the sources. I'm leaning towards the 3M now. They have a very good reputation in the auto industry, so I trust their products.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I recently cleaned my wife's lights, I used the 3M which does comes with a sealant that goes on like a liquid wax. Her LW300 (Saturn) is 10 years old this year and the 3M brought those lights back to darn near OE clear.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently cleaned my wife's lights, I used the 3M which does comes with a sealant that goes on like a liquid wax. Her LW300 (Saturn) is 10 years old this year and the 3M brought those lights back to darn near OE clear.
That seals the deal for me. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Back in the day my brother bought me this kit to use on the plastic on our dirtbikes. Plastic renew or something. came with fine sandpaper and a sealer to make them shine. I used it on a plastic lense and it worked awesome. I'm sure it's the same thing but that concept has been around since the 80's. I've cleaned them and then shot a fine layer of clear lacquer on them too and it came out great. wouldn't do it on a headlight though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I recently did my daughters car with some 1500 grit wet-sanding, followed by a power buffer with some polishing compound. Came out looking very good, although did not coat it with anything afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.