Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kappasphere designed a wire frame that fits inside the seatback map pocket to support a guide that moves the seatbelt forward - making it easier to reach. A great idea, but the Kappasphere design has two problems.

First, it restricts belt movement, meaning that the spring in the belt mechanism is not strong enough to overcome friction of the belt against the wire frame. That can leave the belt (and worse, the clip) in the sill when the door is closed. That's potentially $$.

I solved that by means of some inexpensive brass tubing used as a bearing, in accordance with the photo below. It's self-explanatory.

The second problem is that the original design is $50 for a pair. It took more than 10 minutes to bend my own with 3/16" steel rod (Home Depot), but it was another 30 minutes before the friction problem was solved. I can do it more quickly next time - and so can you by looking at the photo.

Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I polished a hard steel rod, and there was too much friction for the retractor to "work" properly. Adding the brass tube bearing did the trick.

You can try powder coating. Remember, though, that one tube must go on before the last bend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The second problem is that the original design is $50 for a pair. It took more than 10 minutes to bend my own with 3/16" steel rod (Home Depot), but it was another 30 minutes before the friction problem was solved. I can do it more quickly next time - and so can you by looking at the photo.

Works great.
I looked at them and thought the same thing: I can buy the rod from the hardware store for a few dollars and bend my own. It would be cool if you could post up some rough estimates of what dimensions you have on yours. :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "map pocket" tells you the shape of the frame. I made a (solid) cardboard model, then inserted it and cut it to put the loop in the proper location. Use my photograph to determine position and angle for the loop. With that guidance and some decent tools, it's only a few minutes' work.

I was thinking about this before learning about Kappasphere's product. Though we arrived at the solution independently, it's really their commercial product. I just improved it - though it seems to me that at $50/pair a teflon guide or rolling brass bearings might be ok. In fact, I'm looking for some teflon tubes with >3/16" inner diameter...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3/16th Steel? think I would need to go smaller for the powder coating?

I picked the stiffest rod at Home Depot that can be bent with reasonable tools. You do NOT want flexibility.

I bought two lengths of rod but built only one belt extender so far. Today I'll try to find appropriate teflon tubing - that's probably a better solution, though it will change the dimensions of the loop.

Note to Kappasphere:
We arrived at this solution independently, but any "rights" I may have are hereby transfered to you without royalty or consideration.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Nice idea... personally from a pure aesthetics standpoint, I prefer the JMPCoachworks solution:
Yes, smaller, lighter and better-looking. But, I've heard that they, too, suffer from the seatbelt non-retraction problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must be missing something here. How hard is it to reach over your shoulder?
How young are you, and how many back surgeries have you had?

Seriously, a lot of people see it as a minor problem, and I like to fix things...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The seat moves?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Nice idea, that was an issue for me with them as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
OK. My seat has the electric adjuster. I'm 5'10" and need it all the way back. I quess if your shorter you would need the seat up farther. My bad. P.S I'm 55. No back problems yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm 5'7" and have been thinking about installing blocks under the seat rail bolts to raise the whole thing an inch or two. Looks easy to do.

In my case, having that belt a few inches closer to my left shoulder makes a lot of difference.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I grab hold of the seatbelt BEFORE I shut the door, therefore there is no bending backwards to grab it. JPM's solution looks good but I'm not sure how to get the stationery snap on the seat. Looks complicated to me.
Ya can't teach an ole dog new tricks..

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
JPM's solution looks good but I'm not sure how to get the stationery snap on the seat. Looks complicated to me.
I believe it's just a thread and nut. Lean the seatback forward, unzip the outside back zip and reach in behind. Make a hole in the pleather and affix. Not difficult at all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No holes. The heavy wire "frame" is just inserted into that pocket, and gains rigidity from a good fit.

After a week or so, I like this more and more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts