Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off I have an 08 GXP with the mesh/fabric seats. (If anyone wants to trade for leather let me know)

I was driving on the freeway doing about 70, and hit an expansion joint. Car sounded like it bottomed out, but I could tell it didn't. It was a strange sensation. When I hit the next joint, I paid closer attention to the feeling/noise.

It seems as though my seat is lifting up, and settling back down. Has anyone else come across this? I checked all the mounting bolts and brackets, which are tight. My electronic height adjust is intact and functional.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I had that issue a few years ago. Changed the seat out to get rid of it but turned out to be just a loose bolt. See my thread over on KP and you'll see the bolt that was loose at post #14. Hope that helps.

My new seat (some assembly required)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I noticed that mine did that any time the height adjust wasn't set to all the way down. So that's where I leave it now :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check for the bolt, but I thought I got them all.

Ill double check to make sure the seat is down all the way.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Mine would not do it if the seat was down as far as it would go but for me that wasn't an acceptable solution.

I don't know that you can tighten that stud without taking the seat all apart.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
To be clear here.... SlyBob's stud (that was loose) was NOT one of the floor mounting studs! It's one of the bolt/studs on the side of the seat.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I don't believe it's the bottoming out, just the seat assembly raising a bit when going over a large bump or train tracks and slamming back down again. There is play in the mechanism.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just posted this in another thread where OP talks about bottoming out could possible be blown strut.
How to check starts at 4:00 mark
how to diagnose blown struts on your car. - YouTube
I don't believe it's the bottoming out, just the seat assembly raising a bit when going over a large bump or train tracks and slamming back down again. There is play in the mechanism.
Bob is correct, suspension is definitely not bottoming out. The feel is similar, but not quite the same. Car only has 38k on the clock, and i looked at the shocks, they are clean like the day they rolled off the assembly line. No telltale shock oil residue, or leaking.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to lower the seat about 1/4 inch, using the height adjustment, but i havent had a chance to drive over rr tracks, or take a trip on my fav lumpy freeway.

I will update if lowering the seat all the way fixes the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts