Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, visited a home today here in michigan. Husband and wife both work at GM. Wife was initially in charge of the Solstice project. The delay is due to leaks and some other technical terms I didn't understand.

I was told that upon my routine trip to the dealership I should make them aware that I know there is a Secret Service Bulletin (SSB) regarding the leaks on the earlier Solsti.
The dealerships are supposed to urethane coat the entire inner body from the beltline down at no cost to the owner.
I imagine that they would also retro-fit the necessary gaskets and seals.

I was told that some drainage system doesn't work properly by design and you could end up with inches of water inside the car under a worst case scenario. I will e-mail my salesman an inquire about this. The man told me that the trick is to find a dealership that can properly do this procedure. So I may wait until spring, hopefully they will have some experience or have been trained by then. I don't plan on really driving my car in the winter anyway.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
OZ40 said:
Ok, visited a home today here in michigan. Husband and wife both work at GM. Wife was initially in charge of the Solstice project. The delay is due to leaks and some other technical terms I didn't understand.

I was told that upon my routine trip to the dealership I should make them aware that I know there is a Secret Service Bulletin (SSB) regarding the leaks on the earlier Solsti.
The dealerships are supposed to urethane coat the entire inner body from the beltline down at no cost to the owner.
I imagine that they would also retro-fit the necessary gaskets and seals.

I was told that some drainage system doesn't work properly by design and you could end up with inches of water inside the car under a worst case scenario. I will e-mail my salesman an inquire about this. The man told me that the trick is to find a dealership that can properly do this procedure. So I may wait until spring, hopefully they will have some experience or have been trained by then. I don't plan on really driving my car in the winter anyway.
We needed a new deck seal. Had it done at the dealer and they fixed it great. No problems.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I told them

I told them mine was Vin 1236 and supposedly I'm in that group as well as the group still in Willmington in the lot. As long as you drive only on dry days you'll have no leaks what-so-ever unless you go nuts at the quarter car was and really pepper the seal area's.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
OZ40 said:
I told them mine was Vin 1236 and supposedly I'm in that group as well as the group still in Willmington in the lot. As long as you drive only on dry days you'll have no leaks what-so-ever unless you go nuts at the quarter car was and really pepper the seal area's.
The vins go( about) into the early 4000's with the bad parts.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
deluke said:
I wonder if this is correct. Why then have many newer VIN #s been released long before the older ones. I would think cars like mine went through production with the corrections in place and therefore were available to ship. Mine survived a hand wash ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
PubliusE said:
I wonder if this is correct. Why then have many newer VIN #s been released long before the older ones. I would think cars like mine went through production with the corrections in place and therefore were available to ship. Mine survived a hand wash ;)
I'm glad to hear your sol stayed dry. I'm vin 3918, and when I look under the car I see lots of caulk -- gray and orange -- around the seams of the heat shields beneath both doors and also both sides beneath the trunk. Mine hasn't seen any water yet, and won't unless it's coming from a hose.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
debz said:
I'm glad to hear your sol stayed dry. I'm vin 3918, and when I look under the car I see lots of caulk -- gray and orange -- around the seams of the heat shields beneath both doors and also both sides beneath the trunk. Mine hasn't seen any water yet, and won't unless it's coming from a hose.
I did see the same chalk under my door. I didn't get under to inspect the whole car, but I'd imagine it is the same.

·
2,574 Posts
deluke said:
I thought your original post indicated much earlier than that. Your post indicated that you heard on wed the 26th that the parts were in for the waiters that had been diverted. If one assumes that they had replacement parts for the ones going through (why wouldn't they have cleared this supply first rather than continue to make more bogus cars) the problem would have been corrected earlier at least down below the mid 3000's if not earlier depending on when the line got squared away. ;)

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
birdliver said:
I thought your original post indicated much earlier than that. Your post indicated that you heard on wed the 26th that the parts were in for the waiters that had been diverted. If one assumes that they had replacement parts for the ones going through (why wouldn't they have cleared this supply first rather than continue to make more bogus cars) the problem would have been corrected earlier at least down below the mid 3000's if not earlier depending on when the line got squared away. ;)
It sems that the 3000s were shipped to dealers without being held up.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
PubliusE said:
They are almost up to vins in the 6000 right now.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
birdliver said:
I lose track of time, it could of been almost a month ago. But remember they are now in vins close to 6000. I'm pretty sure the vins were close to the 4000 mark. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
deluke said:
I lose track of time, it could of been almost a month ago. But remember they are now in vins close to 6000. I'm pretty sure the vins were close to the 4000 mark. But I could be wrong.
from all the message traffic..though the vins..impacted were the early production..up to early 3000s....uuuuuummmmmmm might be an interesting research project for someone!!!

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
My vin is 4098 and the car is at the mecca. Thanks for the tip. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
PAO said:
from all the message traffic..though the vins..impacted were the early production..up to early 3000s....uuuuuummmmmmm might be an interesting research project for someone!!!
Good job for Gizmo. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
PAO said:

hmmm my vin is 607 and so far so good. Haven't noticed any leaks yet but I will monitor the situation much closer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
My VIN# 1068 was one of the lucky ones to make it out before the lock-down. So far I'm completely water free on the interior either from rain or washing the car. I wonder why my car hasn't shown signs yet?

·
2,574 Posts
deluke said:
I definitely checked back to the post in which you referenced "last wednesday" (which would have been the 10/26) as being when you had heard the parts were in for the "waiters" so I figured what was moving through the normal line at that point were post problem cars. Who knows. But the big news really was that the fixes were easy and the line started moving again. Doesn't really matter which one we had. ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts