Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks...need an explanation

Scenario....my sister was in town and wanted to drive Merlin ...so off we go.
Immediately she says to me " the engine light is on" ...what do we do?
As I had just gassed it up the previous afternoon I knew it was the gas-cap sensor (I was right...and the light has since gone out) HOWEVER
I told her to pull over....I manually released the door lock on the passenger side...walked around to the gas cap...opened it up and re-closed it.
The car was in neutral at the time .
My sister then noticed that the security warning light (Bottom right of the screen...car with the lock thru it) had just come on.
We drove it home and I consulted the manual. Anyway once the car was off , the security warning went off too. It can also be turned off by the fob.

QUESTION IS .....what set it off...the manual release of the passenger door lock....or opening the gas cap while the car was running...or something else??

As there is a learning curve here .I called XMM...he tried to get the security light to come on...but it didn't.
So...before anyone else panics. What set off the security warning. Any suggestions. Has this happened to anyone else.
Discussion please !!!

·
5,641 Posts
Did the security light "come on" or did it flash?

Did it go off when you got back in the car? Or only when you finally shut the car off?

These things were not clear in your post.

If it flashed and went off when you returned to the car, it was a normal function to indicate a door open.

Pontiac On-Line Owner's Manual said:
If the security light is flashing twice per second, this means that a door is open.

If it came on and stayed on then the Theft Deterrent Module may have issues. Since it also involves the Engine Control Module, it could be tied in with the engine light. May want to swing thru your dealership's serivce department to have any stored trouble codes read.

Pontiac Service Manual said:
Security Indicator Illuminates when Engine is Running
If the TDM is unable to measure the ignition key transponder value or the ECM loses communication with the TDM while the engine is running, the security indicator will be illuminated.
Or the car just dosen't want to be driven by your sister.

·
Registered
155 Posts
druid-2 said:
since gone out) HOWEVER
I told her to pull over....I manually released the door lock on the passenger side...

The car was in neutral at the time .
My sister then noticed that the security warning light

Anyway once the car was off , the security warning went off too. It can also be turned off by the fob.
Believe it may have been your unlocking the door while engine was running, Try it by Driving and then while engine is still running have someone to unlock it to see if you get the security code, bet you do.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Believe Xmm Tried That With No Light Coming On

Will Go With Sd And Report Issue With Dealership

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SD light came on and stayed on till car ignition was turned off
When started up again the warning was not showing

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just talking out of my a** here but didn't I read that the trunk is tied in with the security feature as well? Could it be that you accidentily popped the trunk when you went to fix the gas cap? Maybe you hit the trunk button when you went to unlock the doors.
Again - just talking out of my rear as I'm nowhere near having mine in the driveway yet.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry...fob Was In The Ignition

Touched Nothing

Will Contact Dealer Tonight As A Cya

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
druid-2 said:
Sorry...fob Was In The Ignition

Touched Nothing

Will Contact Dealer Tonight As A Cya
A little off topic, but your discussion made me think of it. The other day, I locked the passenger door with the manual door button rather than the key fob. When I used the key fob to unlock the car, the manual lock button on the passenger side would not pop up. Anyone else experience this or have an explanation?

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
official statement

THE LIGHT WILL BE TRIGGERED BY DOING 3 THINGS (SO DON'T DO THEM)

1. Do not open cap with engine on
2. Do not fill tank with engine running
3. Do not overfill the tank

There you have it folks !!!

·
5,641 Posts
druid-2 said:

Are we still talking about the security light? Or have we switched over to the engine light?

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer Said This Was The Security Light

·
5,641 Posts
druid-2 said:
Dealer Said This Was The Security Light

No, those are actions that could cause the engine light to come on.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Small Dealer said:
No, those are actions that could cause the engine light to come on.
If the fuel door has a sensor, then fuel door, or car door, or trunk could light a security light. The three mentioned items definitely would be a light as in "check engine". Agreed that they should not be done:

Originally Posted by druid-2

Reasons are related to 1. & 2. oxygen sensor and safety. Same reason do not talk on cell phone while filling unless you want to be frontpage news. 3. Charcoal canister for emissions, will eventually cause engine to not run right. When the automatic nozzle clicks off, stop filling the tank, resist the urge to top off as this sends excess vapors into canister and when is the last time anyone serviced their canister like the book says?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts