Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it may be awhile until I get my car I hope I'm not the only one thinking ahead to mods. One change I'm determined to make is a stereo upgrade. The Sol looks to have a double Din slot and there are several nice double din units out now that have a LCD screen that takes up the whole slot. One such unit is the Pioneer AVIC-D1. It has XM radio, Ipod control and built in Nav all in one unit so it saves on space. It looks alot like a stock Nav unit might look but has no security features like a detachable face. The idea of relying on a thief to mistake it for stock makes me more than a little nervous. So I'm looking for other ideas for security. The stereo dealer said he could rig up a cover to place over it, even using the face of original radio. That would provide camoflauge but no real theft prevention. Any one have any ideas to offer?
I also wondered if anyone had any experience with car alarms for convertibles, things that could sense someone reaching in the cab when the top is down. Are they effective?
Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
heres an interesting idea: my friend did this with his convertable. he set up a little security camera below the stereo, next to the shifter. it was pointed towards the headrests. the camera was small, somewhere between a golf ball and a racquetball. that worked so well! the camera was cheap (relatively) but nobody would even reach into the car to pick anything out if they knew that they would be on camera. i plan on doing the same with mine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like that. That's just the sort of idea I was trying to solicit. Was it set up to take pics or just for show?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should be able to find a camera that can be hidden completely. Hook it up straight to the battery so it can run when the car is not running. Stick a little sticker on the door windows stating hidden camera is active, and that should be enough deterrent for most and should at least give the police something to go on if it doesn't deter.

If you do that, be sure to wire a hidden switch somewhere so you can turn the cam off when you don't need it. I'd still have an alarm active, though.

Another thought is a motion activated camera, and a shock sensitive alarm, so if the car shakes the alarm goes off, or if someone gets too close the camera starts recording.

Just some ideas.. =)

·
Registered
381 Posts
And after they steal your car, they'll have photos or video to share with their scumbag friends! :(

Just kidding, it's an interesting idea to perhaps deter the casual sunglasses-grabbing thief.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Currently using a Cobra Alarm system in both my 97 and 05 GT Mustang convertibles. Using their "micorwave" alarm (along with their other security accessories) any motion from the side or approx 1 ft above interior / windshield line sets off the alarm. Have been running in my '97 fro about 5 yrs with no problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
And after they steal your car, they'll have photos or video to share with their scumbag friends! :(

Just kidding, it's an interesting idea to perhaps deter the casual sunglasses-grabbing thief.

Well, his post read as though he was only concerned about the petty theft aspect...

Sounds like, however, the alarm mentioned by Ridgeback would be a good bet, too.... Combine both, and you'd be reasonably sound... =)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The whole idea sounds pretty silly to me. To have a camera that actually records what's going on would require some form of recording equipment to actually capture the images (taking up trunk space) and also probably use a significant amount of power that would drain your battery if you left the car parked too long. Also, most crooks would probably feel it's B.S. and ignore it. So even if you went to the trouble of hooking up a working version and they didn't throw their baseball cap over it or rip it out, you'd just be left with footage of them taking your stereo. And on such a low-priority crime, you'd be lucky if the cops even bothered looking at it. Interesting idea, but I don't think it would be worth the trouble personally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99% of the time the car will be in my garage. My goal was to try and prevent someone easily yanking out the radio when It's parked in a lot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
SlySol said:
The whole idea sounds pretty silly to me. To have a camera that actually records what's going on would require some form of recording equipment to actually capture the images (taking up trunk space) and also probably use a significant amount of power that would drain your battery if you left the car parked too long. Also, most crooks would probably feel it's B.S. and ignore it. So even if you went to the trouble of hooking up a working version and they didn't throw their baseball cap over it or rip it out, you'd just be left with footage of them taking your stereo. And on such a low-priority crime, you'd be lucky if the cops even bothered looking at it. Interesting idea, but I don't think it would be worth the trouble personally.
well, the idea is to use it as a deterrant. the only time the video/photos might be needed, would be if the police napped a suspect, but needed evidence. honestly, i would only be using it as a deterrant. and for my own use. for example, im parked at work, and someone takes a cd or sunglasses or whatever. this way, i know who did it and i can go get them. in a grocery store parking lot, this wouldnt matter as much.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well, since the police won't deal with this "petty" crime, I'm thinking:

1. FANCY fake radio front coated in flesh-eating virus. :lol:
2. Release tabs wired to an old solonoid at like 20,000 volts.
3. A terantula or coral snake cage that snaps on the front of the radio.
4. Or, like pickup drivers do here in Texas, LARGE vicious dog in car!!

Just a few more creative ideas for you! :willy:

·
Registered
397 Posts
solsticeman said:
How 'bout a taser that stuns unauthorized vehicle users?
Funny you should say that - they actually make a product like that!
It's similar to the club but once armed, it will shock the thief with 20,000 volts - YIKES!

As far as the intrusion sensing alarms go, I had one on my '97 Wrangler and it would go off with the slightest breeze - even at a low sensitivity setting. Now, that was on a car with no top and no doors. Maybe a regular convertible would fair better.

Personally, I'm looking into setting up a laser grid system. :glol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Even though it does come with an anti-theft alarm, which doesn't seem to deter the average [scum bag], I usually wind up "beefing-up" my alarm systems with... say... a few pounds of C4 explosive! That way using DNA testing on what's left of the person's remains you can usually find out who it was that tried to steal it! :yesnod:

·
Registered
381 Posts
The best thing is.... a good insurance policy. If they want it, they're going to get it, and a convertible is inherently less secure. Take reasonable precautions, but if you find an empty parking space, try not to cry too much. You're getting a new one!

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMPORTANT: make sure you purchase "GAP" coverage, also known as "loan lease" coverage. that way, if you owe more on your car than it is worth, the insurance company will still pay off your loan. ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
swatthefly said:
that way, if you owe more on your car than it is worth, the insurance company will still pay off your loan. ;)
That usually only comes into play if you finance a car to the hilt and then it depreciates rapidly. With such high demand for this car and low production numbers, the depreciation factor should be very small for quite a while. Certainly something to consider though and keep an eye on down the road if you start with a small down payment.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Will a solstice carry enough food and water for a pit bull tied to the steering wheel? (Dog is NOT in the car however...)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts