Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hell I guess they could install a camera on the dash and anytime you exceeded the speed limit it would take your photo and generate a ticket right then and there. or it could store the info in the ECM and you'd have to settle up when you go to get a new sticker. going one further, they could hook it up to a transmitter and have readers all over like an ez tag on a tollway and get you that way.

Luckily for me, I'm in Texas so until we see this in Cali or Washington I wouldn't even sweat it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If they're trying to acquire information/evidence that would incriminate you, they need a warrant. The courts will smack CARB down if they try this garbage, hopefully.

I've seen people try to whip out their phones, while driving their cars, when I do something they don't like. I'm thinking, really? If you try to present that to a LEO you're incriminating yourself by handing over evidence that you used your phone while you were driving. I'm kinda tired of people thinking they can enforce traffic laws, or dictate how other people on the road drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In addition to red light cameras and traffic zone cameras, etc. there are other speed traps like they have in Canada where they time you between points on the highway and calculate you're speed and send you a citation.
The thing is that how do they determine where you are at various speeds from your onboard computer? What was the speed limit when you hit that speed documented in your on board computer? Is the on-board reliable and regularly calibrated? No way this crap is going to hold up in any court of law and anyone with any common sense will fight it every time and win.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it happens here, it will no doubt come to your state soon.
ehhh that's like saying if it happens in Soviet Russia it will no doubt come to my state soon. Cali is so far outside the normal American experience in so many ways that it's its own bubble. completely beyond repair at this point.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Progressive had (has) a driving monitor they would plug into your OBD II port to check your driving habits. I could see CARB having a bigger say in your Cali driving privileges, don't like it and don't think it's right. DMV, CARB, and big government working hand in hand. Probably end up charging you a carbon tax which would come out of your state tax return.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Progressive had (has) a driving monitor they would plug into your OBD II port to check your driving habits. I could see CARB having a bigger say in your Cali driving privileges, don't like it and don't think it's right. DMV, CARB, and big government working hand in hand. Probably end up charging you a carbon tax which would come out of your state tax return.
State Farm offered to pay my On-Star fee on my Equinox when it expired. I did it for about a month before I realized that they were undoubtedly spying on me.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
In my state, they started plugging into the OBD port during inspections about 5 years ago already. They claim they are just weeding out and catching those who clear codes right before the inspection.

·
Registered
355 Posts
In my state, they started plugging into the OBD port during inspections about 5 years ago already. They claim they are just weeding out and catching those who clear codes right before the inspection.
I thought every state did that... a state inspection is completely meaningless if they don't check for cleared codes...

·
Registered
355 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts