Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is possible. I just wanted to see something being done on it. I was a big Fiero fan and would have love to see that car being built. Has anyone seen there new car being built? I have friend that told me that when he bought a new corvette he could see something being done to it. Is this true? :grouphug

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know if it is possible, but it would be really neat to see done. How bout it GM, if we order a solstice can we drive it off the assembly line?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have done work in the truck plant in Oshawa so I have seen truck come together which was cool since I also have a GMC Ext Cab
It was were different then I thought how they were made
The plant was as clean as a food plant

·
Registered
667 Posts
As far as I know the only GM plant that can be visited and your car driven away from is the Vette plant in Bolling Green. I believe it is a $800-$1000 extra cost option though. I understand that the QA/QC team on final inspection all sign the frame. That's pretty cool!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome onboard fellow Solstice fan and Fiero enthusiast! :D

Chip said:
As far as I know the only GM plant that can be visited and your car driven away from is the Vette plant in Bolling Green. I believe it is a $800-$1000 extra cost option though. I understand that the QA/QC team on final inspection all sign the frame. That's pretty cool!
Maybe plant delivery is something GM will look into for the Solstice too. I think it is a cool option for buying a Corvette. If I were to buy a new Corvette, I would definitely consider taking delivery at the plant!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I imagine that $800-$1000 charge would be offset by not having to pay a delivery or dealer's make ready charge.

My father tells a story of taking a train from LA to Michigan in the mid-thirties to pick up a new Plymouth when he was a little boy. Got to watch the car being built through a plate glass window. His parents saved enough money to pay for the trip as well as get it fully loaded (instead of stripped) including dual side mounted tires and dual tail lights! That trip made a big impression on a eight year old kid!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would gladly pick up my car at the factory and drive it back to California! It would be a great experience seeing friends along the way back. Top down (or up) and tunes blaring... It could be a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Even if we can't see the car being built, I'd love to see a video or still photos of the assembly line. Many years ago you used to be able to tour just about any GM plant, but my understanding is now the insurance companies discourage it. I remember going to the plant in Van Nuys CA to see Cameros and Firebirds being built in the 70's. Not so many robots then and they used to hand lead the C pillar joint! When the tour group came through, the bored leading crew were hamming it up for us by setting fire to their coffee cups on the roof of the cars with their torches. Love visiting factories.

Maybe they can have a Kappa home coming like Saturn did.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd be all about that!! That could be pretty cool! Get a deal worked out for members on the message board where we could all order them and meet there and drive them away on the same day! Where's GTOJ?? Maybe he could work something out for us since he was going to take orders for anybody on the board.

Maybe he could do something where if we all order from him they could build those orders on the same day and have a special tour/lunch/celebration and we could already have the payments worked out with GTOJ and his dealership and then drive them away that day! I would definitely be on board for that. I would think since this has created so much excitement that they would want to keep the enthusiasm as high as possible. Imagine the PR they would get from such a thing! It'd be really cool to get to meet a bunch of people from the board as well.
:party

1 - 9 of 9 Posts