Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is driving itself in a slalom - the two guys inside grinning away are computer geeks from Stanford who wrote the drifting program. Wonder when the Solstice version will come out......:giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
WOW!! I remember when I installed cruise control on my Delorean and thought it was hot stuff. How far we have come!

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you were just getting into solo events it would be a real piss-off to have a car with no driver beat you, I imagine!

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
If you were just getting into solo events it would be a real piss-off to have a car with no driver beat you, I imagine!
Soon the "robot" will be able to outdrive even the best human driver, if it can't already..

Just as an automatic will outrun a human-operated manual at the drag strip, the car knows exactly what is happening to it and can react faster than a driver.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Soon the "robot" will be able to outdrive even the best human driver, if it can't already..

Just as an automatic will outrun a human-operated manual at the drag strip, the car knows exactly what is happening to it and can react faster than a driver.
Took my first ride in a tesla yesterday. I am now a believer. It's only a matter of time till gasoline engines are history.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Took my first ride in a tesla yesterday. I am now a believer. It's only a matter of time till gasoline engines are history.
not for me... not until the range and recharge times get significantly better
Bill
I think you are confusing self-driving with battery-electric.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
At the moment there is no autopilot self driving autonomous robot car that can even do something simple as following a hand signal from a police officer. :)

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I wonder if this car is actually reading the road or of it is following a GPS program and they just set out the cones knowing the path it would follow.

Reactions: Saveaux

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
At the moment there is no autopilot self driving autonomous robot car that can even do something simple as following a hand signal from a police officer. :)
I have never seen a solo course, or a race track, with a police officer giving hand signals. In keeping with the theme of the thread, my comment was aimed toward the performance of cars in competition on a closed track.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wonder if this car is actually reading the road or of it is following a GPS program and they just set out the cones knowing the path it would follow.
Might be sensors by each cone. There is something there or it's just a pre-programmed setup and the tape is where to put the cones?

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Might be sensors by each cone. There is something there or it's just a pre-programmed setup and the tape is where to put the cones?
It is following a pre-programmed route using GPS.

The purpose of this branch of research is to develop the car-control algorithms needed to actually execute the maneuvers needed for collision avoidance, since many of those require exceeding the limits of the existing ESC systems.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Wow...just saw this thread... AMAZING! I think the most amazing part is that the car is within mear inches everytime through the turns. Shows you what the future holds for Formula E in phase VI (maybe it's III, can't recall!!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts