Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it’s day 3 of stay home and hunker down. My employer directed us to work from home. Then one of our engineers tested positive and they are running around like their hair is on fire.

We go for a fast walk in the afternoon just to counter scurvy! It’s very strange

How is it for you?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Hovering in limbo for the time being. I have customers asking us what we think the impact will be on our ability to supply product to them. I don't even reply. It all depends on what our government decides to a large degree. If we have materials shortages, what difference will it make?

I know many people just want to have some type of reassurance but it comes down to simple facts. We will produce whatever we can produce as rapidly as possible when it is possible. For now every "plan" remains in a high state of fluidity.

Fortunately for me, when I've been the busiest in my professional life, I've learned to become quite adept at juggling priorities. So for now, it's almost business as usual at the job. Wife is disenchanted that our governor shut down all bars and restaurants as we had plans to take the Solstice out to the lake and have some lunch this weekend!

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Last Sunday at 5:30pm Government ordered all restaurant & bars to close within half an hour !!!

Generally people are doing home office when possible, me too. Country not yet locked down. But all is closed, including restaurants / bars / sex clubs / gyms / stores. Basically just Grocery Stores and Pharmacies are open. Only restaurants that have take out window (rare overhere) can be open.

Gathering of people not allowed. Weddings and parties shut down. People keep their distance at the grocery store.

Government urges people to stay home

Schools are also closed for at least 3 weeks.

Most people stocked up are have enough food for a couple of weeks.

Next step would be lock down, but at the moment it is still allowed to be outside. I think we will not get a lock-down until we expect the hospital ICU will be full.

Air travel very restricted and more & more borders are shut.

At the moment I still have a job and on top of that the sky looks great, nice clean air !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Brethern,
Gun stores are open & very busy ! Everything will stay like this until those "test kits" become available & the tents go up at Walmart, Target & Walgreens !
Nervous

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
One of the benefits of living in a semi rural area and having neighbors who pretty much keep to themselves I'm used to self isolation and I have my dogs to keep me company .My wife who is in the healthcare field has had the phone ringing off the hook so this has become an extremely busy time for her .This is a busy time for me now that winter is winding down it's nice to be able to get outside for the day and accomplish things that need to be done ,it gives my mind a break from this madness .I'm in the high risk category but I've always taken care of myself and other than having arthritis I'm in excellent health per my doctor so taking some common sense precautions I'm not really worried about contracting the virus . My friends in the auto community are wondering how long this will last as it has already cancelled a major show in Cleveland ,will it affect summer shows and cruise ins ? Thank God I made my yearly trip to Detroit for the Autorama before the ban so I was able to get my car fix in .Hope fully with all that the government is doing they will be able to get a handle on this and we can return to normalcy sooner than later .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I have returned to the classroom after retiring (only part-time), but now have been asked to work from home. Kids are all on-line. But, that causes all kinds of issues. However, I am not busy and have time to work on my Solstice, play with dogs and grandson, and generally be lazy....err, I am retired after all.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I work for city government ... so no working from home for me. In the office every day. My bride is a teacher, so she and the kids are at home as the school wrestle with what to do with the rest of this school year. Rumor is that they'll go online. Not sure what that does for bride's job as she is an ESL teacher ... not a regular classroom teacher. My oldest is a college freshman, so no big deal to her. Youngest is a HS senior ... so she's missing out on a lot of memories that could have been made.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Not much traffic on the road up here, but lots of activity in the food stores stocking up on who knows what. The libraries have closed and the concert series we subscribe to have cancelled performances.

I'm OK, I have around 4,000 vinyl LPs and a similar number of bottles of wine. I figure play both sides of a record, pull a cork - repeat as necessary until this settles down. Plus some gardening, working on projects and the odd drive on the now open roads. Got depressed reading The Economist telling me how bad this will likely get.

Hopefully this situation will sort out sooner rather than later. Until the next pandemic hits....

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I've been instructed to work from home by my employer. I've heard many rumblings of huge layoffs happening in the supplier network as Honda, FCA and Ford are starting to close plants. And my company isn't financially stable at all. The dealer world has already began ravaging it's employees and it continues with many techs, service advisors and sales people losing their jobs. We are about to see something far worse then most of us have ever seen. The death rate is about 1.6% from this virus, but with the impending recession, more then that will starve. We will soon see something that will rival the Great Depression. (I was listening to the radio and one station reported that we could see 10M unemployed by the end of next week!! Not good!) There's radio chatter of "shelter in place" coming for Detroit very soon.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Restaurants closed, movies closed, schools closed. I am 80 and have a lung disorder so I am closed too. Been through worse and I'll make it through this. It's going to be in the seventies tomorrow and my top is down and ready to go. I figure that if i am alone in the car, I am still in quarantine, so life is good.

I just noticed while I was typing this that I got my star back on my avatar!! Life is now even better!

·
Registered
371 Posts
We live in Washington State where everything is shutting down.

We are in the risk age but fortunately, we are retired so we can self quarantine for how ever long it lasts. We do run out and pick up essentials.

We live out in the sticks so social distancing is easy.

The US will get through this. We are a tough, resilient country and the virus is just another issue that we will overcome together.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Anyone that went on a 3 week wilderness vacation a week ago would sure get a surprise when they got home.

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Anyone that went on a 3 week wilderness vacation a week ago would sure get a surprise when they got home.
People "locked-up" in the Big Brother TV Show in Germany were informed yesterday that there is something like the Corona Virus going around Europe.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
I read this rather interesting review of "Outbreak": (Highlights are mine)
Wolfgang Petersen’s film, which premiered in 1995 and shows its age, is not a subtle movie, or even a terribly thoughtful one. For a movie whose subject is epidemiology, Outbreak features a shocking number of explosions: Its genre, fundamentally and unapologetically, is Action. But the film’s utter lack of nuance is itself revealing: Its bluntness manages to capture some of the extreme contradictions of this moment—a situation some are treating as an emergency and others are treating as a Monday. Outbreak gets a lot wrong, but it gets one of the broadest things right. It understands that, in America, one of the biggest threats to public health can be American culture itself.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts