Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
We just finished a scheduling meeting and were told that the Big Three are following Honda's lead and shutting down production through the end of the month. They are concerned about the virus in their plants, but mainly about the lack of parts as some suppliers are unable to deliver, for a variety of reasons.

The key thing to remember here is that this is temporary. Unlike the other crises that have been mentioned, the economy was strong before this hit, and there is no reason to think that it won't be strong after it is over.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
in NJ, I now see gas prices of $2.19 for regular. Yet, where are you going to drive to? ( Rusty Boltz posted $1.69 in Ft Worth, Texas. ) I am annoyed at the stock market. When is someone going to suggest that this disease is really a Chinese bio-weapon ? :eek: I have to believe that this thing is way over-hyped.

grumble.... :mad:

car shows for the end of April are already cancelled...

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
in NJ, I now see gas prices of $2.19 for regular. Yet, where are you going to drive to? ( Rusty Boltz posted $1.69 in Ft Worth, Texas. ) I am annoyed at the stock market. When is someone going to suggest that this disease is really a Chinese bio-weapon ? :eek: I have to believe that this thing is way over-hyped.

grumble.... :mad:

car shows for the end of April are already cancelled...
Gas was $1.79 here this morning, and with the current price of oil I am expecting to see near $1.50 before long. I have a lot of friends who have gone to the beach, are staying in condos, and "shelering in place" with sun and salt water.

The Chinese bio-weapon theory has been mentioned. If it is one it is the worst excuse for one that has ever existed, for a variety of reasons.

While I believe that this is serious I also believe that it is seriously over-hyped.

·
Super Moderator
16,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Restaurants closed, movies closed, schools closed. I am 80 and have a lung disorder so I am closed too. Been through worse and I'll make it through this. It's going to be in the seventies tomorrow and my top is down and ready to go. I figure that if i am alone in the car, I am still in quarantine, so life is good.

I just noticed while I was typing this that I got my star back on my avatar!! Life is now even better!
Im jealous. I don't have a star!

·
Premium Member
10,364 Posts
I do not understand why trying to take a pause for 2 or 3 weeks to bring the infection down and under control is a bad thing. Yes is a big disruption but think or imaging the other side, where the medical community is over run and not capable of treating the sick. Look at China where the epicenter of this virus start it and how the curve is now flat and will start to go down.
We as a nation will only get through this, if we collectively understand that our future is at stake, so do the right thing.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
This is pretty normal for me this time of year. Once the ski season is over I go into a period of self isolation to decompress and relax after 6 months of long days surrounded by insane crowds. It all tops off with Spring Break at the end. This season just ended two weeks early. It's raining outside now and supposed to turn to snow later. I have a fire going and a cat in my lap. I'll watch a bunch of movies this week and then start working around the house next week.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
I believe about 70% of my coworkers are working remotely. Unfortunately, I cannot work from home due to the nature of my units work so I've been going in everyday. All I can say is that life seems to be getting crazier each day. The daily emails meant to keep us informed of the fluidity of the situation are also having the side effect of making people feel more anxious & stressed at work. I talked to one coworker who told me they felt that their lives weren't being valued as much as those employees who have been allowed to work from home. I do see her point but the only thing I could suggest was for her to email her supervisor (because he's working from home) and ask about using her annual leave. I received a major eye roll for that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Seattle area here. Traffic is like 1992 when we moved here. My work is considered critical (IT-related) so I've been out at client sites as required to get employees setup to work from home. Had three Comcast-related outages yesterday. Most of what I've been doing has been from home-office, though.

My hands are dried out from washing them so much. I'm glad to see people out walking, biking, hiking, and talking (at the proscribed distance) in the neighborhood. I rather wished they'd coined it "physical distancing" as most humans do better with social connection, especially in strange times like this.

If work lets up a bit this week and the sunshine continues, I'll get the Sky out for a top-down drive. I'll go for another hike. I'm making extra effort to make eye contact with others, wave, smile, say 'hello'...connect. We all need that and even a little bit helps melt fear.

It's going to be a good bit different from what we've come to call 'normal' for a while. That doesn't mean we can't laugh and connect and have fun.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Easiest left turns out of the plant parking lot since I've worked here - 28 years now!

I wasn't going to go "here" but I feel I need to vent a bit more.

HR is walking through the plant yesterday, meeting with each employee individually. She approaches me and tells me that she is telling everyone that we don't know what is going to happen with our production schedule. One of our largest customers is putting several "policies" into place . .

I interrupt and tell her that one of the owners has already had this conversation with me this morning.

She continues anyway . . telling me "we don't know if we're going to have a material supply issue, we don't know how long we may have to shut down, we don't know how busy we will be once we get started back up . . "

I think to myself "Good lord woman, if I have stand here and listen to you tell me everything you "don't know" I'm going to die before you finish. In fact, I know more things that you don't know than you know you don't know!" I waived her off and walked away.

Later that afternoon another employee finds out a member of previously mentioned customer is coming to our operation to review one of their projects in production. I end up with 3 people in my office, including the HR manager, asking me what we should do. Well, because, after all, THEY have restrictions on meetings and interactions at THEIR place...

"Are we going to their location?"
"No."
"Then what's the issue?"
"Well, should we ask the visitor if they've been out of the country?"
"Sure. We know the guy, his role doesn't involve travel, but go ahead."
"Well I want him to sign and affidavit anyway!"
"And what the hell difference is THAT going to make?!?"
"Well, it will cover my ass in case OSHA wants to come back at us!"
"OSHA is going to 'come at us' over a natural disaster?"
"Well, (customer) has quarantined ALL of their employees!"
"NO, they have NOT quarantined ALL of their employees!!"
"Well, they had TWO people that just returned from a cruise!"
"I know, and they are self-quarantined. That is NOT all of their employees!"
"Well I'm going to make him sign something."
"Go ahead..."

I stood up and walked out.

Today I find out she flew across country, connecting through Chicago at the end of last week. And she's meeting face to face with every employee to discuss our "measures" to keep them safe. When questioned about it she replied "Well, where we went is way out in the boonies - there was nobody near us."

Yeah, and I'm sure O'Hare was vacant when you connected through there.

Just another example of the idiocy.

Oh, and truck drivers are not allowed to use our restrooms anymore because of the "risk."

The vending company driver, who interacts with hundreds of people every day in dozens of companies all over the region is allowed to waltz through our plant, into our break room and fill the vending machines. That's not a problem because she "called the vending company and they assured us there wouldn't be any problems."

I told everyone here I'm going to self-quarantine so I don't end up smacking someone.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
If work lets up a bit this week and the sunshine continues, I'll get the Sky out for a top-down drive. I'll go for another hike. I'm making extra effort to make eye contact with others, wave, smile, say 'hello'...connect. We all need that and even a little bit helps melt fear.

It's going to be a good bit different from what we've come to call 'normal' for a while. That doesn't mean we can't laugh and connect and have fun.
I'm sharing this sentiment with EVERYONE I connect with! It's "physical distancing"! Let's keep the social part of our interactions intact!

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Hope everyone stays healthy. Very scary times. I am retired and always busy with our two Jack Russell’s. The wife is now working from home so the dogs and I are trying not to get yelled at too much. Yesterday I put the Mean Machine on the road. Today, I took her to the dealership and had the transmission fluid changed. They have already closed the sales department. I suspect service might be next. Windsor, where we live is a ghost town. Border is closed ( except commercial traffic) so no more trips to Belle Isle on Detroit side. Lots of hand washing etc. Let’s all get through this.
Be well.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts