Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
What kind of plant are you working CW ?
Injection molding. We're in Michigan so a big chunk of our work is automotive. I'm sure we'll see a slowdown but I don't think it will be a "shutdown". Our biggest automotive based customer is behind on several products we mold for them so we'll be able to get caught up on those. Our biggest non-automotive customer has a large chunk of business in heavy truck. So far they're not seeing much of a dip.

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
Even though the OEs are shutting down we continue to run as normal. We plan to reevaluate at the end of the month, and if the OEs extend their shut down we will probably also have some sort of "slowdown".

We are taking what seem to me to e very reasonable precautions. Most meetings have been canceled, and the others have fewer participants in larger rooms. Most meetings are now conference calls with most people calling in from their desks. Breaks are staggered, and chairs have been removed from the breakrooms to encourage "social distancing" so that one breakroom that used to hold 16-20 people, for example, now is limited to 4. We have added janitorial staff to wipe down the breakrooms between each break period as well as time clocks, door knobs, vending machines, and just about every other public surface. We have a dedicated vending machine service person, and she is taking extra precautions as she moves from machine to machine.

·
Super Moderator
16,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Makes sense
Our campus has closed and locked all the conference rooms. Had one youngster come to work sick and sent him to get tested. Everyone in that pod is on watch. Had one building where a meeting attendee went home, different city, and got sick. Tested positive so they shut down tang building, sent everyone home for quarantine and are sanitizing the building.
We have something like 4000 staff in 6 buildings

·
Registered
495 Posts
time to start using home delivery from wally world...!!! me living in a high tourist area kinda sucks most of the time...and now...more, much more. and my wife is manager at a marine retailer...lots of outa towners every day as they have vacation homes/condos&water toys hear for the summers...they just cut back hours, open 1 hour later and close 2 hours sooner...but how do you keep out the outa towners....that may be....or not... you cant. today our county commissioners were having a meeting to close all beaches....no beaches, no reason to go hear.. currently spring break..and beaches are packed, not as much as usual, but we went out for a drive tuesday to have a look.. the commissioners were being addvized by the head health official to close the beaches... but how are we going to collect all the bed taxes was the main thing on most of their minds.... well you cant fix stupid. the entire world is loosing$ and these morons are wining about a fucking bed tax......the restraints are already at 50% and closing early, bars&clubs closed....many things closed... people layed off.. last week I met a couple that had just got hear form Oregon earlier that day. we get people from everywhere to our snow white power beaches. this is a major tourist aera. we have to do something.... WE ALL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S DOING NOTHING BUT SITTING ON YOU COUCH FOR NOW....like Im currently doing.
One of my daughters works for the state dept . currently in DC for language training... currently working from home. and her boyfriend/fiancee.is with her... he can not get a flight back home to Switzerland.. he was hear for work in atlanta for 2 weeks then a week with her...he may be hear a while. this sucks for everybody., deal with it the best you can.

·
Super Moderator
16,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have a friend who is a government SETA. They were told to go home. Then a day later told to come to work. Then told the organization would work half the staff every other week. So everyone can get infected. Classic C students in charge

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Was this a typo? I'm confused?
It's actually from a Chris Rock routine where he's talking about being out on a double date with a couple - the wives are friends and the husbands have nothing in common. They're trying to make small talk while the wives chatter amongst themselves and all he can come up with is "I like baseball."

So yeah, as John said it's like a subject changer or distraction.

Hang around Sav - my stuff gets worse with age! lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have half my office staff working from home this week and expect to start layoffs next week. We have enough work to last a couple weeks in the plant. We have had a couple large campaigns put on hold and the number of estimates coming in are less than half of normal so I expect things to slow down quickly

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
California has just closed... and since my business is 'non-essential', I'm now on vacation. Going to make an early morning supermarket run for supplies and wondering if lining up at Costco would be worth it. My wife works in a hospital and is in contact with patients, so we are prepared to fight this virus if it comes home with her. The Solstice has a full tank of gas, but I'm debating whether to go for a drive this weekend or save the tank incase of a future shortage. Hoping that this will all blow over ASAP.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Doubt there will be a gas shortage as fewer people are driving, but who knows, there might be a supply chain issue.

Friend that went to Costco told me about the 'run' on toilet paper. I could understand it if this virus caused gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea, but it doesn't. Wonder what's up with the TP hoarders?

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
Doubt there will be a gas shortage as fewer people are driving, but who knows, there might be a supply chain issue.

Friend that went to Costco told me about the 'run' on toilet paper. I could understand it if this virus caused gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea, but it doesn't. Wonder what's up with the TP hoarders?
Supply chain is the concern for fuel and for toilet paper. Along with everything else there has been a run on. Cleaning supplies and hand sanitizer are also sold out in most places, and our store room at work got raided by someone who stole all that we had. Interestingly, distilleries are starting to produce hand sanitizer and, mostly, giving it away.

Down south here, whenever a "big" snow is predicted everyone rushes out for milk, eggs, and toilet paper. We have always suspected that the groceries and the weathermen have some kind of deal that a storm will be predicted whenever the milk in the store gets close to its "use by" date.

On a related note, I read yesterday that US bidet sales are at an all time high,

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Seems people here in Florida have the impression this is like a hurricane. I do not understand the hording bottled water but then hurricane mode dictates that, war rations and the TP/paper towel stocking...if you normally only buy one roll at a time.

Going from face to face classes to online works for lecture but not for studio courses like Kate's ceramics art hand building and throwing. Lots of immediate re-configuring the delivery system. I spent hours researching web streaming "video collaboration equipment" and then finding anyone who actually had anything in stock. Ordered direct from the manufacturer and, of course, all this stuff is made in China. Should be here from CA in a week. I hope.

We're all dealing with this massive unknown as best we can in the soup of conflicting information being served daily. Where are Boris and Natasha when we really need them? As one of the over 70 crowd, a benefit is early grocery shopping...if I can get in gear that early. There's Charmin to be squeezed!

Take care,

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Just in for Illinois:
In an effort to curb the COVID-19 outbreak, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker is expected to order all Illinois residents to “shelter in place” beginning Saturday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Like other states, the order will mean residents can still go to the grocery stores, put gas in their cars, take walks outside and make pharmacy runs. All local roads, including the interstate highways and tollways, will remain open to traffic, as well.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My bride and I frequent a local eatery and always ask for the same server - she's a genuinely good "kid". Last night on my way home I bought a "get well" card and dropped a "fitty" in it. Stamped the envelope but left it unsealed so the contents could be examined if needed. Called the manager this morning and asked him if he'd help by putting her address on it and dropping it in the mail for me. Of course he was excited and happy to do so.

Since I was dropping it off at their take out window, I ordered some fettuccine for lunch. (And tipped the young lady at the window 30%) They both were all smiles as I left!

Inside the card I wrote "We know YOU'RE not sick, but my sense of humor IS! This isn't charity, these are the tips you would have earned anyway if you'd been working. Take care and we'll see you in a few weeks."

·
Super Moderator
16,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
We had 10 inches of heavy wet snow Thursday. Mini blizzard. Spent much of yesterday blowing and shoveling. Got my workout. Have a couple more hours to go today. She have TP for 90 days. But only 45 days of paper plates! Then we are breaking out

We simulate normality by my “commuting” to the basement to work online while she goes upstairs to her sewing rooms.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Wylie, TX is mostly closed.

I've been working from home for the last five-ish years. Having the kids home from school for at least the next two weeks (yeah, right) makes that a little more difficult, but I'm fortunate enough to have an office that's separated from the house by about 180 feet. Restaurants, bars, etc. are shot down for anything but curbside pickup and delivery. I occasionally help out my local restaurant / bar hangout with point-of-sale and other computer issues, so the owner said I can keep coming in and hide in corner. It's kind of nice having the place to myself, and having somewhere else to escape to if necessary.

Oh, and Texas is (temporarily?) allowing beer, wine & liquor "to go." You can get a takeout order from your local Mexican restaurant and get margaritas to go. It's really weird.

We've got two school-age kids (10 and 7) on the spectrum. I don't see them sitting still and focusing on their school work at home.

My five-year-old daughter's full-time autism program is remaining open for the time being. We'll see how long that lasts. The providers offered to do in-home service if it comes to that but, with all the other kids here, that's not really going to be effective, either. Considering renting a hotel room a few times a week so that she doesn't lose services for the duration of this debacle.

Bought a bunch of shop paper towels from Autozone as a last-resort TP substitute that hopefully won't need to be used for anything other than cleaning up oil spills. My wife was not thrilled.

AND, my clutch install got bumped due to social distancing rules at my friend's shop. (I've swapped clutches on jack stands before. I'm not thrilled about the prospect of doing that again.)

Stay safe, y'all.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts