Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
A brief note on helping out our neighbors:

If you're in one of the places where eating out is still allowed, or you're getting food deliveries, or servers have been re-tasked to handle pickup orders:
Tip well. Those in the service industry are among the hardest hit. Even if they're still getting their normal (non-tip) paycheck, that's only around $2.25 per hour. Dropping in an extra $20 or $50 won't cause most of us financial distress. For others, it can make the difference between them being able to buy diapers & groceries.

·
Super Moderator
16,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I have been working from home now for two weeks with very limited fourays out of the house except for walks daily and a couple of trips to the store. Now the governor has declared a lockdown for the state until April 11. Since I am in what is considered essential national defense industry most of my peers are working at the company campus in closed areas. To meet the social distancing criteria they are going to two shifts. Some fun. At least I keep getting paid.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
FYI. Can't find hand sanitizer anywhere so I did some research, thanks to google, and found that almost all are made from alcohol, aloe vera gel, and sometimes a little peroxide. Grocery stores here are out of all this stuff but you can buy 190 proof grain alcohol (everclear), which has the same antiseptic qualities as isopropyl alcohol at any liquor store and aloe vera gel from amazon. 65% alcohol and 35% aloe vera gel and you have instant hand sanitizer! Don't even think about drinking the alcohol, it is some nasty stuff!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Brethren,
I just finished an on-line gathering via Zoom with our "Breakfast Bunch". We had 7 members in it & it worked pretty good, to my surprise !
The Zoom website download is free & is a good alternative during the calamity

Nervous

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
FYI. Can't find hand sanitizer anywhere so I did some research, thanks to google, and found that almost all are made from alcohol, aloe vera gel, and sometimes a little peroxide. Grocery stores here are out of all this stuff but you can buy 190 proof grain alcohol (everclear), which has the same antiseptic qualities as isopropyl alcohol at any liquor store and aloe vera gel from amazon. 65% alcohol and 35% aloe vera gel and you have instant hand sanitizer! Don't even think about drinking the alcohol, it is some nasty stuff!
The distilleries around the country are doing exactly this, and most are giving the product away. Drug and grocery stores also sell aloe vera gel.

I dated a girl in college who drank Everclear, neat. She was 5-2 and weighed 97 pounds, so she said she had to drink "efficiently" to keep from getting too full. I miss JoAnn......

·
Super Moderator
16,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
From the "people are stoopid" file. Here are observations from Michigan.

Governor announces the "stay at home" order and assures the good people of Michigan that they will still be able to buy groceries, go to the bank, buy gas, etc. Which is good, no need to stress out people who are already hoarding toilet paper and such.

However, "non-essential" businesses must close down. The definition of "essential" is a service or product that is necessary for government or infrastructure support. About 35% of my employers products are used on brake systems for heavy equipment and semi-trailers, controls systems that are used in industrial equipment and medical equipment, pumps for off-loading tanker trucks and in fuel distribution, etc.

Now that Michigan has approved recreation marijuana, those shops are allowed to stay open. Now you might ask yourself if that is truly an "essential" business, you'd have to consider that liquor stores would have to be closed if the pot shops have to close, right? Well, that wouldn't set well with the chicken man. Thought I rarely drink liquor, I do enjoy my beer!

About a week ago a local TV station gave up on listing closures with the crawler on the bottom of the screen. It just said "go to our website for a list of closures", which made me chuckle. A few days ago my bride and I were watching a local news broadcast and the crawler cracked me up. "Attorney General vows to crack down on violators of the stay at home order". This was followed by "State police assure there will be NO random stopping of vehicles to check for compliance with the stay at home order."

This is followed a few minutes later with "A.G. requests people report individuals that are not complying with the stay at home order." And the next message? "State police request you do NOT use 911 to report non-compliance with the stay at home order."

All I know is that if a police officer should pull me over and ask me what my business is, I'm just going to tell him "I'm going to buy some WEED. Now get out of my way!" lol

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
While self isolating we can work on our cars. Rob the Elder has a list of about 50 items to check on a Kappa. I have probably done only half of them. Time to finish the list, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
While self isolating we can work on our cars. Rob the Elder has a list of about 50 items to check on a Kappa. I have probably done only half of them. Time to finish the list, I think.
I started with my door handles. replaced both with new handles filled with epoxy to strengthen the attachment points. Just in time too! all the the old handles were cracked at the attachment points and could have gone at any time.

Am now repairing the old ones and will probably paint them to match the car.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I need Rob's garage to do most of what I'd like to do with my car. Right now mine is in storage at a friend's barn but I'm thinking of going to get it since the weather is so nice and the time to play is available.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac Solstice, 2.4L base model.
74 Posts
In Minnesota we are ordered "to stay at home" by the governor from March 27th to April 10th. I work at Digi-Key (an electronic parts distributor) as an engineering tech and I am still heading to work as one of the "essential employees". I am not able to do my job from home, as I maintain electronic equipment for the company. We have about 3500 people that work in Thief River Falls (northwest Minnesota) and around 2000+ are all working from home now. We have been told we won't be shutting down, and I have my "traveling papers" in case I am stopped on my work commute. Where I work, we have been fortunate to have become very busy with orders. We live in a town of less than 200 people in a rural area and usually have very little traffic thru here. So kind of used to the isolation and we have become to enjoy that. But with the snow starting to melt, I am getting the urge to pull the cars out of hibernation (2006 Solstice and 1997 BMW Z3). Hopefully things start settling down in the country.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
In Minnesota we are ordered "to stay at home" by the governor from March 27th to April 10th. I work at Digi-Key (an electronic parts distributor) as an engineering tech and I am still heading to work as one of the "essential employees". [...]
As a many, many-time customer of DigiKey, I appreciate your work. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
So I heard there was a rather large business in Austin, Texas that said they are docking the pay of their employees, the amount they are going to receive as part of the stimulus to better help them with their payroll...I also heard a large restaurant chain is going to do the same.... I have verfied this, but I'm unable to find out which big business and which restaurant chain...

I have noticed that a news anchor or 2 may need their upper lips waxed here in MI. And I have noticed 1 unibrow starting to appear as well....

61 - 80 of 165 Posts