Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
The biggest issue I have with how things are being laid out is the panic behind it. Getting this isn't a death sentence. You're not going to drop dead on contact. It's symptoms are really bad if you're a little older and don't take care of yourself or have other issues. For sure those who are at risk should take extra precautions and be logical :) .
That statement is exactly the problem. For sure most people will get mild symptoms or will recover, but those same people can pass it on to others who won't. You cannot just rely on the elderly (etc) to take "extra precautions", it takes everyone. And not just the elderly can die from it, either. Just because you're young and fit doesn't mean you're immune from danger. AND if the hospitals become overwhelmed by an untamed peak (as in NY now) then younger people who get severe symptoms that would respond to treatment, might well not be able to receive that treatment and die anyway.

There's no need to panic. We just have to realise that there are sensible precautions that everyone can take, and then we can get past this.

Following extract from: Asymptomatic Carriers Are Fueling the COVID-19 Pandemic. Here’s Why You Don’t Have to Feel Sick to Spread the Disease
This week, the White House issued a warning for anyone who recently fled New York City: Quarantine yourself for a full 14 days or risk spreading COVID-19 to a new community — regardless of whether you’re showing symptoms.

Officials say new cases of the disease popping up in Long Island suggest fleeing New Yorkers were unknowingly spreading SARS-CoV2 — the coronavirus strain responsible for COVID-19. New York City is now at the epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S., with more than 21,000 confirmed cases as of Thursday morning. Anyone who was in the city recently could easily have been exposed without realizing it.

This is true across the world, and is part of what has made stopping the pandemic’s spread so challenging. Many COVID-19 cases are thought to be mild, and infected individuals with mild or no reported symptoms are still contagious and capable of spreading the virus. Plus, the virus has a long incubation period, with many people not showing symptoms for an average of five days after infection. Together, these two factors result in a lot of people who are infected and spreading the virus without knowing it. [...]
As for the panic - that's just sensible fear at work :)

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
The biggest issue I have with how things are being laid out is the panic behind it. Getting this isn't a death sentence. You're not going to drop dead on contact. It's symptoms are really bad if you're a little older and don't take care of yourself or have other issues.

Remember this might not be about your health. But about others !

Kind of sucks when your loved one is sick, needs to be in ICU to stay alive and get better, but there is no room in the ICU, so your loved one dies alone without family in the corridor of an hospital. . . .

. . . now that is the main issue we want to prevent. So we need to lower the peak and make it wider by slowing down the infection rate!

PS: Over here. . . . .
Most ICU Corona patients are between 44 and 65 years old. But also in their teens, thirties and forties. Without ICU all these patients would die.
At the moment most patients that do die are above 65 years old.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh I'm absolutely on board with protecting others. :)
A dear friend of mine in her 60's who is a nurse having to go to work in Washington State made note herself that she thought this was excessive but understands.
My concern is the mental health of people and the economy at large. I'm not going to get all "numbery" here but I do wonder how many people are being critically affected by this virus vs how many people are being critically affected by the economy and mental health (i.e. sustainable jobs in 6 months, suicides etc).

ON TO HAPPIER THINGS!

We're all in this together. All us great Solstice-loving folk should me reaching out and SOCIALIZING right now - at a distance. I personally think the term "Social Distancing" is quite toxic; it should be Distance-Socializing as we need to socialize more than ever in a time like this - just at a distance :).
Hope all is well. Be safe. Hope to see you all at a Kappa Car show in the near future :)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
No doubt that this is serious, but the media is hyping it up. The other day, I watched the Whitehouse briefing when they showed a possible 100,000 to 240,000 deaths. Shortly afterward, the CBS evening news stated that there could be "up to 240,000 deaths". Technically correct, but lets ignore that lower number.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I look at worldometer.info twice a day to look at Coronavirus stats. I was perusing the site and found this, which are total fatalities worldwide from January 1, 2020 to April 1, 2020 at 2:00pm for various causes.

46,496 Coronvirus deaths this year
Sorry to drag this up again, but two days later and the death toll is now up to 58,787 -- that's an increase of 26% in TWO DAYS!

#StayTFatHome

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sadly the numbers they are putting out there are about 2 - 3 weeks behind... who knows how many people that don't feel symptoms yet and/or have not been tested? That's why it's so important that we STFAH... the longer people to continue to go out and spread the longer they will keep the order/lockdown... if everyone participated, the less chance of the virus spreading and before you know it BOOM ? ? it's gone and we are back in biz driving in our cars with TP to spare ? ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry to drag this up again, but two days later and the death toll is now up to 58,787 -- that's an increase of 26% in TWO DAYS!

#StayTFatHome
BUT....what's the Per Capita death percentage??
It's about 2%!!!
WHY are we destroying our economy for a 2% death rate when we don't do this for other diseases/pandemic/epidemic that causes a much higher percentage of death??

There's something else going on here.

Also when do we open back up the economy??
If we're closing it for a 2% fatality rate when do we open it?? When it hits 0%? What if it never hits 0%??

BTW....heard a hospital Doc on the radio yesterday say he hasn't had ANY patients die from this that didn't have a high BMI (obese) Diabetic, heart disease ect......
All his healthy patients recovered.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
BUT....what's the Per Capita death percentage??
It's about 2%!!!
WHY are we destroying our economy for a 2% death rate when we don't do this for other diseases/pandemic/epidemic that causes a much higher percentage of death??
Because although the person might still die the medical resources can still cope and your loved one will get the help and treatment they need & deserve and does not need to die in pain and alone in the corridor of an hospital.

It is quite well explained on many websites. BBC News UK has some good articles. You might want to invest a few hours and read up on this important issue on their website. Watching some news broadcasts from Spain or Italy also illustrates very well what other countries are trying to prevent and are afraid for.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Because although the person might still die the medical resources can still cope and your loved one will get the help and treatment they need & deserve and does not need to die in pain and alone in the corridor of an hospital.

It is quite well explained on many websites. BBC News UK has some good articles. You might want to invest a few hours and read up on this important issue on their website. Watching some news broadcasts from Spain or Italy also illustrates very well what other countries are trying to prevent and are afraid for.
So why are we treating this severe cold virus different that other severe virus/bacteria that kill WAY more people??

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
So why are we treating this severe cold virus different that other severe virus/bacteria that kill WAY more people??
Such as what? What other widespread acute and highly contagious virus has a death rate >2%?

Just as a comparison, last info I saw was that Covid-19 is ~3 times as contagious as seasonal flu and has ~10 times the death rate. So, although it's difficult to predict pandemic infection rates you could expect at LEAST 30times the death rate of the seasonal flu. And instead of being spread out at a roughly constant level over the 5-6 month flu season, this will rocket to a huge peak in just a few weeks. AGAIN, and I don't know how many times we have to say this, this will overwhelm the medical facilities we have.

Your anecdotal Doctor notwithstanding, if there are no facilities to treat those non-high-BMI patents with severe infections, then they will die at home or in the street.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How about "If you can read this I am NOT Social Distancing!" instead. :)
Nope.....THEY are reading my T-shirt so if they're that close they are the ones not social distancing. :LOL:

BTW.......I have Diabetes and Heart Disease so I know if I get this there's a good chance I'm checking out.
I still don't think the economy should be destroyed for a 2% death rate even if I'm included.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Such as what? What other widespread acute and highly contagious virus has a death rate >2%?
The common flu every year in the USA kills about 15,000 people from November to March....that's just one.....
I just looked it up....60,000 people die EACH YEAR in the USA from Pneumonia on average......are we going to stay quarantined forever??

It doesn't matter if it's highly contagious, what matters is the death rate percentage.

·
Registered
253 Posts
OK. I give up. You're right.
Oh C'mon, you're supposed to buy the next round!! :giggle:
Yeah, that 60,000 people dieing every year from Pneumonia is a tough one to justify.
Hopefully we'll have a vaccine by early next year for this new Chinese virus.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I greatly appreciate people's correspondence on this topic in a civil matter.
While I personally believe our and several other governments have over-reacted to a degree in regards to this, i most certainly understand people's concern. New viruses are scary, regardless of how "deadly" they are. We have a society now that feeds on sensationalism to a very scary degree. Very few people question authority unless they peg the other direction and go full tinfoil hat - at which point credibility goes out the window.
Do I think we should take this seriously? - absolutely. We need to be SMART in how we handle ANY new disease.
Do I think we should destroy our economy, wreck people's mental health, and leave many many people without a job and possibly homeless in a few months because of it? - not in my opinion.
I simply find it strange that it appears (whether true or not) that people are not taking "the ends justify the means" into consideration, because the "ends" are very scary in the coming months.
Thanks for contributing to this thread in a civil way. I for one have found the backroads in my area to be particularly beautiful to drive my GXP (alone of course) during this time ;-)

121 - 140 of 165 Posts