Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

161 - 165 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that you are looking at this wrong, and you have to look at the cost of doing nothing. The stimulus is needed because we shut down the economy to slow the spread of the virus. If we hadn't shut down the economy the entire country would start to look like New York, and it would have shut down anyway. The difference is that we don't have as many sick or dead, and the medical system is being stretched but hasn't collapsed. Yet. We will also have an easier time getting the engine started again, because more people will be here to do it. A controlled crash, however bad it still is, is always better than an uncontrolled one, it just comes down to the degree of bad.
Well said on the whole. It's extremely frustrating, but a controlled crash is better. I do hope we get started back up within the month though. Going for much longer (something I'm hearing a lot a fearful people say they want) may be the straw that breaks that camels back. I know my industry will not survive much past mid-May if it continues (Cinema industry).
My best to you all. We may have our separate opinions on how this could or should be handled but we are where we are now and have to get through it.
Here's to many more years of driving with the top down when this is all over :)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I understand that this is serious, I'm a geezer, "at risk", and I've adjusted my lifestyle. We need to save lives, but I don't think many people understand the economic fallout of the shutdown. Things will never be the same. When I retired, I never imagined that living on a fixed income would be a good thing.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The government payments/bailouts are necessary to keep people in jobs that don't allow them to get further ahead than a paycheque or so (e.g. a lot of waiters and service industry people etc.) but they still have to be paid for somehow. Don't expect it to be carried as government debt forever - it has to result in a rise in taxes sooner or later, and that isn't going to improve the lot of those on fixed retirement incomes.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The government payments/bailouts are necessary to keep people in jobs that don't allow them to get further ahead than a paycheque or so (e.g. a lot of waiters and service industry people etc.) but they still have to be paid for somehow. Don't expect it to be carried as government debt forever - it has to result in a rise in taxes sooner or later, and that isn't going to improve the lot of those on fixed retirement incomes.
amen....
Bill

161 - 165 of 165 Posts