Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just received word that my Solstice being converted will be displayed at this year's SEMA show in Las Vegas. This is a first 1000 Solstice which made it attractive for the show. :willy: :willy:

Show specs planned for this show car:

LS7 with Vortec supercharger (over 700 whp)
275x19" Front tires
345x19" Rear tires
6-speed transmission
upgrade brake package
adjustable suspension
Mallett Interior & Exterior upgrades

The car will be at booth 22853, Vortec & Paxton on the SEMA main floor. These are the only details I have right now. Once the car is delivered to Mallett Cars (hopefully in August) I will post pictures of the upgrades and more details. I'm so excited about having the car showcased! :party:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Holy cow! LS7 with the Super.

As soon as I get a real job I'm definitely having them do that mod to my Solstice, it may not be 1st 1k, but it'll be first year at least :)

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Great news Delnari. Can't wait to see some pics of this conversion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i cant wait to see what this looks like. surely theyll need to make special body panels to fit those huge rear tires?? also, do you haven any idea what kind of interior mods they will be doing?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
godspeed06 said:
i cant wait to see what this looks like. surely theyll need to make special body panels to fit those huge rear tires?? also, do you haven any idea what kind of interior mods they will be doing?
I was told the interior will be seats with "Mallett" monogram on them. Since the transmission will be a 6-speed out of the Corvette a new short-throw shifter with a "Mallett" shift knob. The door panels may get a new leather treatment, but that will depend whether the design team can come up with a good pattern for it in time.

Mallett Cars is trying to build this as a "full tilt shoot out car". Waiting to hear if SpeedTV, Spike TV, or Discovery Channel are going to do a documentary on the building of this show car. If so, I will not be allowed to show any pictures of the process until the car has been presented at SEMA. I will keep up to date of the progress and any details I can release before then.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shabby said:
345's in the rear? How the hell will they fit those, fender flares maybe?
Price? Probably another 10-20k depending on engine, wont be cheap thats for sure... unless you maybe source the block/tranny/rear end your self and just get the engine mounts.
The front rims are 10" and the rear rims are 12". A CTS-V rear differential unit is being used with modified drive axles. No word from Mallett whether fender flares are required. Worse case would be the fender flares on the rear like the ones used on the new Corvette Z06. The front wheels fit without any body modifications.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
goalscore247 said:
So basically you're buying one of the first 1000 solstice bodies lol. Everything else will be different
It will look like a Solstice, but run like a "bat out of hell". Its amazing when you start putting a showcase car together how most of the manufacturers will give you their parts for a SEMA show.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
goalscore247 said:
lol...how do i sign up for that?
Well, you need to get someone who has a booth at SEMA (the rental cost is $18k - $90k depending on floor space). Be a well known builder of specialty cars. And sell the booth owner on how special your car is going to be in their booth and bring tons of lookers into it.

Checklist:
Car (2006 Solstice 1st 1000) - check
Booth a SEMA (Vortech Paxton)- check
Expert car shop with a well-known reputation (Mallett Cars) - check

Having a 700+ whp 1st 1000 Solstice - PRICELESS!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good luck Delnari, hope it makes it to TV.

Something about killing a first 1000 for this project makes me cringe :cryin: but heck you gotta do what yo gotta do right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
SeaBayR said:
What color car are tehy do ing and what interior? any sample pics from other Malletts
SEMA will have at least 10 Solstice cars put on display, and 2 Sky's from what I'm hearing. My car is Mysterious (Black) with black leather interior ordered from the factory. When the design teams get through with it who knows what color the exterior and interior will be.

Don't expect any more information to come out of Mallett Cars until September timeframe. He has enough orders right now to start production when the owners can deliver their cars. Expect to see some photos on the website when the first couple are finished.

The orders for these conversion are adding up. As you know, the future owners of these cars are playing the waiting game from Pontiac to deliver the goods. If you are lucky enough to be getting a first 1000 Solstice and don't mind waiting for a regular order then you could work out a trade with someone waiting for a Mallett conversion. Maybe make enough on the deal to buy a Solstice GXP version instead. Just a thought.

·
Registered
905 Posts
We can get a conversion done at a later date right? Let's say I manage to get an extra $20k some how next Summer and I wanted to get it done, could I if I take delivery this Fall on my Solstice?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Adrenaline said:
We can get a conversion done at a later date right? Let's say I manage to get an extra $20k some how next Summer and I wanted to get it done, could I if I take delivery this Fall on my Solstice?
By next Summer you should have your pick of conversion companies. If you are brave enough you can buy the parts and follow the do it yourself instructions and save some bucks! Its all hype right now! Being the first with a 400-700 plus hp kappa car is mostly for show and it was cost a lot of doe. Couldn't resist the white boy rhyme :lol:

If you only need to have 250 hp than buy the GXP version next summer, the upgrade will cost less than $4k from Pontiac after you purchase the 1SB package though. If you want 300 hp than buy a turbo upgrade kit from the numerous aftermarket companies now working on the kit, should be under $7k. If you want 400 hp than an LS2 conversion only with supporting parts as a do it yourself kit; expect to pay $10k or so. It depends on what you have to spend and what you are going to be happy with.

I thinking about ordering another Solstice late next year with the barebones coupe race package (oops, was I not suppose to say that). I would love road racing a hard top Solstice racer in the SCCA.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's really up in the air, I'm writing a couple movie scripts that I think are really unique and well written, but I have no idea if an agent will pick it up and send it to a studio or if they're any good. If that happens I may go the Mattlet LS7 route and just go all out with my Solstice. Otherwise I am just going to get an aftermarket Turbo next summer and install it myself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If Mallett knows that those wheels fit, can we assume that they have a pre-production car in-house? Or they've at least had their hands on one for a day.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
$300,000 Yenko Nova's no slouch...

mceb said:
Good luck Delnari, hope it makes it to TV.

Something about killing a first 1000 for this project makes me cringe :cryin: but heck you gotta do what yo gotta do right.
Actually, the Yenko Chevy Novas are not really killed--they're quite valuable. The Mallett may also be equally valuable. To quote myself from: link to: Mallet 2.4L Supercharge 300HP, post: Well, then there's the $300,000 Yenko Nova:
Crimson Avenger said:
...It turns out that properly modified cars can have an astounding asking price. The biggest example that I can think of is the 1969 Yenko Chevy Nova. This was featured in link to: Dream Car Garage Episode 1. Here's the notes on the segment:
Segment 9 – Classic Dream Car, a Nova with a 427

Peter gets his chance to take us on his first dream car ride and he picks a real rare automobile with an estimate 7-10 left in existence. It’s also a car with a rich legacy that’s in near mint condition! We’re talking about the ultimate Yenko, which is actually a little Nova with a 427 stuffed into it! This little car is rarer than the infamous Yenko Camaro’s and the ’69 Chevelle and Peter feels in the next 6 months this little car will break all the sales records and should be worth over $300,000.00. An awesome price matched by an equally awesome performance. Due to the lightweight package of this car (it was a compact car for its day) with the 427 and 450 horsepower output this car was by far the fastest of the bunch! Peter takes the car to 60 mph and at a 4:10 gear ratio running around 3000 rpm this car will cap out at 125 mph. Which to Peter is just great because getting to that speed is where the fun begins!
The point is that the Mallette Solstices could wind up fetching a premium at auction some 30 years from now. Then again, we've seen on this forum stories of Corvettes up on blocks that were less fortunate.

If you want the power, and you've got the green, get it--this car is about driving. There's that old racing addage: "Speed costs money son. How fast do you want to go?" Worrying about the resale value at some future auction will simply dampen your enjoyment of your personal chance at a dream come true.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts