Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has politically correctness reared its ugly head in this forum? I guess so. Please add to list of things not allowed to be typed: word "spinners", the word bro,b's, the idea of spoofs, hip-hop talk especially if done by white people (what about vanilla ice) , comments using metaphors for race car wings like chicken wings, anything a person may be offended by whether intended or not. Aren't some people taking this way too seriosly- how about lightening up a little. Maybe its the stress of waiting for your Solstice. Reality check- its a car, not a ticket to heaven!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Unfortunately your comments broke forum rules, and were removed by other moderators due to your comments breaking those rules. Just because you think it's funny and a joke, doesn't mean you didn't offend others.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Zolsol, your posts certainly could have been construed as offensive by some members. Please review the link Brentil left you to review the forum rules on offensive posts.

I understand you were trying to be funny, but the content of the threads was not in really good taste and therefore they were removed. We try to be as liberal as possible on the forum, and allow whatever someone wants to contribute stay. However, we cannot let things stay that are inappropriate or potentially inflamatory.

Also, here is a link to the site "user agreement" which everyone agreed to when they signed up to the forum:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/faq.php?faq=legal#faq_agreement

Excerpts from the agreement include

Restrictions on Use. You shall use the web site for lawful purposes only. You shall not post or transmit through the site any material that (i) violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, (ii) is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable,

·
Registered
288 Posts
You know that the word is "Censorship", right?

Mispellings make you look ignorant. You might command a bit more respect if you took the time to spell-check your politically incorrect rants! :lol:

Flagg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow... I spent the weekend skipping stones with my 3 yr old at the lake, and never logged onto the forum... Seems I missed all the action! What was the offending remark? And can anyone actually tell me without repeating said remark! (scratching head curiously).

·
Registered
18 Posts
just think of what racist comment can be used with the word chicken and you would know what this guy said in 2 different topics that got erased.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Zolsol,

Not to pile on here, but just wanted to inject another way to look at it. As a mod, many times what seems acceptable many times ends up not being acceptable.

I know I've let things go quite a while, but we all recieve any of the comments forwarded on to us by the "report bad post" button (
). Usually it is nothing serious, and minor edits are all that's required.

Sometimes we make changes or edit potentially offensive material because someone actually reported it as offensive. We don't normally disclose who or how many may have reported the post, but if someone has gone through the trouble of reporting it, then it only makes sense that we need to do something about it.

Danno, the offensive posting/thread removed referred to "stereotypical" comments on certain car styling features. As are most stereotypical posts, this overgeneralization, after reading it, was wholly incorrect and based on very bigoted assumptions.

The styling choices in question (like dubs and spinners) are certainly not attributed to one race or society - and THAT is the danger of stereotype comments, they can quickly degrade into racial comments. I have seen MANY people of different backgrounds and ethnicity that have put such features on their cars.

The point is that Zolsol's comments don't pass the "say it in public" test.

From Guidelines/Rules/Etiquette - post #5 said:
...Regarding Post Appropriateness

Keep in mind that many people of both genders and different religions, backgrounds, occupations, sexual orientation, race, etc. read what you post. Sometimes it's funny to post something that may be a bit borderline for appropriateness.

The best test that can be used is this:

When you are just about to submit your post, think about these questions:

"Would you be willing to stand on a podium and read aloud your post in front of a room full of strangers, knowing that everyone can hear you well, even record and re-listen you what you are about to post, realizing that the thousands of folks in the room come from all different backgrounds, religions, races, etc.?

Are you fairly certain your post wouldn't be extremely offensive to anyone (not whether everyone will agree, would they find it offensive)?

Are there no stereotypical groups that you would be uncomfortable saying these things to if you were around a group of just those folks?"

If you can answer yes to these questions, your post is likely not offensive. And if you still answer yes but find your post modified or deleted by the Administrator or Moderator in the future, don't be offended - just respect that it's possible your post may have been offensive and been reported, or was borderline enough to warrant action.
Zolsol - It's not that everyone is being way to sensitive, it's that you posted something that was over-the-line enough that removal of the thread was warranted. Please read the last paragraph and don't be offended by it. You would never hear a politician, a CEO, or even a celebrity talk like you posted.

Thanks for everyone's time in reading this - I don't want to spend the next eighteen posts talking about censorship, etc. There really is no "judgement" here - and no need to continue this discussion. I am sure that when/if Troy takes the time to read this, he will fully agree - and he owns the site. End of story.

I also wanted to explain that since Zolsol decided to post a public thread on this matter to take issue with it, I felt it necessary to address it in the same public thread.

If you have questions or comments regarding this matter, please do it in PM with one of the mods or the administrator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.