Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Service ESC, Traction, Reduced Power Messages?

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
It finally warmed up a little today, so I took the GXP out for a spin.
Turned the ESC off for full power fun.
When launching the car, it spun the tires when the boost came in, got the rearend out a little (as usual), but, not "out of shape".
In the past, I've seen the message something about "reduced traction", flash the ESC triangle warning light, and with the ESC disabled it has never interferred with car.
This time, when the car was spinning the tires, the DIC flashed the message "Service ESC", then the message "Service Traction" came up, & the ABS light came on. So, after coming to a stop, with the coast clear, I thought I'd see if the car would do it again.
This time the DIC gave the message "Service Traction", "Service ESC", "Service AirBag", ABS light came on, the lights went out in the gauges, the needles fell to 0, then message "Reduced Power" came on, and the car fell on it's face...barely running.
It took the car about 5 seconds to finally allow the gauges to recover & turn the lights back on in them.
So, I pulled over, shut the car off and let it sit for ~5 minutes.
Started it back up, and tried it again, Got all the same actions again (except the airbag message).
So, I went home, pulled the fuses, swapped the stock ECM back in and tried it again.
With the stock ECM, I left the ESC & traction ON, & as soon as the tires started spinning, the "Service ESC" came on.
So, I turned traction control off, and put in "Competition Mode".
Still got the "Service ESC" message.
Then, turned the ESC off, and got the same message.

Anybody got any ideas?
Bad wheel sensor maybe?

See less See more
#2 ·
This happened to me once when I launched through an intersection. The intersections surface was a lot rougher than I thought ti would be and shook the rear end alot and caused the issue. Corrected itself when I restarted the car and it hasn't happened again since.

I'm thinking that it jarred the sensors around from the rough road, so you may be right about a lose sensor.

#3 ·
Did yours kill the guage's needles & lights too?

#4 ·
No, I just got all the service messages. My guess is the guage and lights were just a result of the ECM trying to reset. Mine react like that everytime I disconnect the battery until the system resets.

#5 ·
Well, took the car out the next day....the problem is gone.
But, the 'ol saying I live by:
"Problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves":yesnod:

#6 ·
Mine happened back in July/Aug time frame so so far so good by I agree and I cross that particular intersection much slower now.

#7 ·
I know this is an old thread I just wanted to share my experience I had the service traction service ESC and only a click to start and no power to my fuel pump. I bought an ecm on eBay they flashed it with my vin and it solved the problem. My battery was not full strength and must have shorted out my ECM or something like that.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for searching the forum for your problem and then adding to the knowledge base with your solution.

I'm glad you were able to get it fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.