Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made the mistake of thinking I could farther than I actually could. Stopped at a gas station and now she won’t start despite having a full tank. What gives?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Does it crank at all?
I've read that the fuel pump can overheat and malfunction under sustained low fuel conditions. Were you on fumes?

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
A good question: What exactly do you mean by "won't start"? Did you actually run out of fuel to the point that the engine quit? Did anything else occur at that time?

A single, or even multiple, instance of low fuel is not going to damage the fuel pump. Consistently keeping the tank at a low level (like below a quarter) may. I frequently run to near-empty and haven't seen any problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A good question: What exactly do you mean by "won't start"? Did you actually run out of fuel to the point that the engine quit? Did anything else occur at that time?

A single, or even multiple, instance of low fuel is not going to damage the fuel pump. Consistently keeping the tank at a low level (like below a quarter) may. I frequently run to near-empty and haven't seen any problems.
She turns over just fine and doesn’t sound like there’s anything grinding or whining. I her towed to a tire discounters and their taking a look at it while I’m here at work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it crank at all?
I've read that the fuel pump can overheat and malfunction under sustained low fuel conditions. Were you on fumes?
The needle was pretty low but I’ve had it down to that level before. Not a lot, but hadn’t had any issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like speculation at this point. It may have nothing to do with low fuel.
Well they just called and apparently they got it start but it was spewing oil out the tailpipe, sounded weird and shut off. There’s no compression at all now and said that the engine is probably blown.
Now I’m at a loss…

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Well they just called and apparently they got it start but it was spewing oil out the tailpipe, sounded weird and shut off. There’s no compression at all now and said that the engine is probably blown.
Now I’m at a loss…
This appears to be the culmination of the problem you were having seven months ago.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The low fuel overheating the pump in the tank is a myth. Our pumps sit in a fuel bowl that takes in fuel from the bottom through a Venturi. Excess fuel press is dumped back into the bowl which is about 6” high, keeping it full all the time. Unless you physically run it down to where it stalls, there is fuel and cooling.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
399 Posts
The low fuel overheating the pump in the tank is a myth. Our pumps sit in a fuel bowl that takes in fuel from the bottom through a Venturi. Excess fuel press is dumped back into the bowl which is about 6” high, keeping it full all the time. Unless you physically run it down to where it stalls, there is fuel and cooling.
If I give you .y wife's email, will you tell her this? Been nagged about it for 15 years because of something her father told her when she was a teenager.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If I give you .y wife's email, will you tell her this? Been nagged about it for 15 years because of something her father told her when she was a teenager.
Might be true for the older pumps. Definitely not the case for the pumps in the kappas. The actual pump is inside the white bucket
Gas Composite material Engineering Flooring Science

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,935 Posts
Now...The whole fuel myth being busted and all. You almost certiantly will cook the HPFP if the LPFP sucks up too much air. the HPFPs and air don't play nice nice with each other.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Might be true for the older pumps. ...
The older pump/tank designs certainly made it easier to suck air, but - it was the carb that really led some substance to this. The car would run quite happily off fuel in the bowl while the pump was sucking air through more and more corners as the fuel level dropped.

Considering that setting a battery on concrete hasn't mattered since the 1930's but that myth still persists, I think we have some time for the fuel pump one to die out yet.

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
There some validity to the "don't drive around with an empty tank" rule, but it has more to do with condensation in the tank than overheating the fuel pump. A nearly empty tank is much more likely to end up with water in it, and water not only tends to freeze but also does not burn very well.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
399 Posts
As was demonstrated by my son's Deville. The burning up the pump thing, though, is what I've been hearing for 15 years, from a person who mostly declined to prevent such an event.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We endurance race our base solstice and have run it out of gas multiple times without issue. Sorry to hear that the problem seems to be much bigger at this point.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
When fuel injection became the norm, the reservoir and venturi design was implemented which made it highly unlikely that the pump would overheat.

I remember the molding company I worked for was going to start molding and assembling the new reservoir for Chrysler at the time they went fuel injection across all models The plastic resin maker did a computerized mold filling simulation that was completely inaccurate. (This happens when you hire a person with a degree in computer science to run the analysis but has NO experience in molding so he doesn't know if he's looking at erroneous data.) We had two guys take one of the molds to a shop in Detroit to correct it and I and another guy took one to the shop in Traverse City MI that built it for correction.

Just as we were getting ready to launch production, DuPont came to us and told us they had 20,000 pounds of the material that was off-specification so they just cross-blended it with another 20,000 pounds and it "should be good". Within one week of Chrysler hearing this they had another maker on board with a replacement material that worked just fine. Not surprising when you realize that if we didn't start making these, Chrysler would not be building ANY vehicles at all!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sad Update::😢
Well good things come to an end I suppose. I had a her towed to a buddy’s shop and they said one of the timing chain guides came loose. Not sure how this happened as she was purring fine before she shut off on me, but broken guide and loose chain is a disaster waiting to happen…
What should I be asking to part with her. I don’t have the time to have her sitting in my garage. $3kish??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts