Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching through the archives, looks like the JPM shifter assembly will be the best bet in order to change out the shifter knob. Mighty expensive, tho! Yesterday, I was trying to see how hard it would be to remove stock unit. Using a 4.5 mm bit, I could not get the set screw to budge. Looks like the factory has used some sort of loctite on the screw. I finally snapped the bit in two. Assume it is normal thread...lefty loosey, righty tighty. So...what can I use to loosen the set screw? Not feasible to use heat. Would a penetrating oil work on loctite?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I snapped one off also. It seems some are on much tighter than others. Heat is your only hope. Use a mini 2 gas tourch to keep the flame just on the set screw. I insulated well but scorched the padding also, but all went well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

Yes, there is thread sealant on the set screw. Heaven forbid it ever gets loose and starts an annoying rattle in the interior :rolleyes:

I didn't need to use heat, fortunately. If you're in that situation, it's a good excuse to go buy a mini butane torch, or a butane soldering iron with a torch attachment. As an aside, a butane soldering iron is a pretty handy tool to have for automotive electrical work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts