Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never driven a manual transmission before, but i have allways liked the look of a gated shifter like that found in a ferari or in the concept pictures over what is going into production. is there any benefit to one style over the other, and do you think after market shifter gates will be available?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Whether you see it or not, all shifters are gated and external gates aka Furry are very difficult to keep in alignment with the shifter if mounted on the trans (and you want the shifter mounted on the trans if serious).

I do not care if the gates are external or hidden by a boot so long as the throw is short, the feel is positive, and nothing bends when I lean on it. I do like a positive reverse lockout though. If first is as low as I suspect it will be given the general's requirements, a first/reverse lockout would be acceptable. An H is hard to miss.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you have an exposed gate or boot as long as the shifter is not mounted in or on the transmission. Pagetts right, for performance the ideal situation is to have the shifter mounted directly to the transmission. However I think that this is unlikely given that they will want the opening in the floor pan to except multiple transmission choices. If you like the look of an exposed gate, I'm sure someone will sell you a kit to do that, or it would be pretty easy to have one made at a machine shop. Again though, it makes no difference in performance.

What does matter to people is the pattern used. For a 5 speed, I like 1st down and to the left with reverse up and to the left with a lock out. I have no real expeince with a 6 speed, but I would guess I would like a set up like a standard 4 speed (1st top left) with a lock out for reverse on the lower left. Some people like paddle shifters, and they do have their advantages, but for me they are too much like a video game. I'm old fashion and like to feel connected to the car, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Anyone know the pattern of a S2000? As they're supplied by the same manufacturer, there's a good chance they will have similar patterns. Most FWD Hondas have first up and to the left with reverse under fifth, far right and down (back). Not too bad but never had to rock one out of a mud hole.
1 3 5
2 4 R

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Anyone know the pattern of a S2000? As they're supplied by the same manufacturer, there's a good chance they will have similar patterns. Most FWD Hondas have first up and to the left with reverse under fifth, far right and down (back). Not too bad but never had to rock one out of a mud hole.
1 3 5
2 4 R
Well, do your best not to get your Solstice into a mud hole :jester

Doesn't the S2000 have a 6-speed? Is the Aisin gearbox in the Colorado a 5-speed?

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is why many fivespeeds use:
R | 2 4
1 | 3 5
with a lockout (the bar) on reverse/first since first is just used to get started and 2-5th are the driving gears. First and Reverse are also usually the same ratio so you can use the same gears for both and just slide in an idler for reverse.

The nice thing about an H pattern is that no thought is required, just left-right and up-down. This is why for more gears either a ratchet shifter or paddles are nice.

And if you want to see a really weird pattern of less gears check out the AH 100-4.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What about this:
R 1 3 5
_ 2 4
Go for the European shifting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
padgett said:
This is why many fivespeeds use:
R | 2 4
1 | 3 5
with a lockout (the bar) on reverse/first since first is just used to get started and 2-5th are the driving gears. First and Reverse are also usually the same ratio so you can use the same gears for both and just slide in an idler for reverse.

The nice thing about an H pattern is that no thought is required, just left-right and up-down. This is why for more gears either a ratchet shifter or paddles are nice.

And if you want to see a really weird pattern of less gears check out the AH 100-4.

I've NEVER seen a layout like that. What cars have it?

Whatever pattern they use I hope it's not like the Vibe GT's
R135
_246

Wouldn't be too bad but there is no reverse lockout, just an annoying beep-beep-beep when in reverse.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Well, do your best not to get your Solstice into a mud hole :jester

Doesn't the S2000 have a 6-speed? Is the Aisin gearbox in the Colorado a 5-speed?

2004 Honda S2000:

1 3 5
2 4 6 R

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was poking around for info on the manual found in the colorado/canyon and this is what i found.

OVERVIEW
The Aisin 5-speed transmission is a conventional two-axis manual gearbox, with a through shaft and a counter shaft, spaced 82 mm apart on-center. It is cast in aluminum and weighs 107 pounds, which is 5 pounds heavier than the New Venture Gear 1500 (MW2) 5-speed manual available in the previous compact pickup line. It has been certified for 225 lbs.-ft. of torque when used with the uplevel inline five-cylinder engine. The gear selector pattern is conventional for a 5-speed manual transmission, with the reverse gate on the far right side and rearward. The shift lever connects directly to the top of the transmission.
http://media.gm.com/division/powertrain/products/transmission/2004/MA5.doc

Basically it states that reverse will be on the right rear, that leads me to believe that the pattern will be 135
24R

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Because of the springs inside the transmission, I guess I should have shown the Honda pattern as:
1 3 5
2 4 - R
It's imposible to go from fifth to reverse. When you pull back from fifth, it pops you into the 3-4 slot. You really have to push hard right to get it into reverse. Since fifth is overdrive, most spirited driveing is in 2 through 4. This pattern allows for so fast a shift from first to second that, unfortunatly, it's not uncommon to beat the syncros. I thought it was just me until I went to the strip and heard the other Hondas.

Whatever the Solstice pattern, after a little bit, we'll all get used to it. And,even with Honda's rod linkage, I'm looking forward to a having a car where the shifter's ON the gearbox and not three feet behind it! At stop lights, I miss having the gearshift move when you bump the gas.:thumbs

Just read your link, Brian and it all sounds good except I have a question. Is it common to have sycro's on just first, second and third and not the other two gears?

·
Registered
284 Posts
mstorace said:
only 5 speed i drove was my mr2 spyder and i loved it
it had this setup

24R
This is primarily how American 5 speeds are arranged.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as we know they will not all be manual, there will be automatics offered. If memory serves 60% of the market for sports cars prefers automatics so not to have one would be crazy. However, to my knowledge there has been no info on what type of auto tranny they will use, or when it will come out.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Courtney3D said:
I absolutely love this car, but are they all going to be manual? I've never driven a standard before! :rolleyes
To keep things simple I was under the impression year 1 would be all manual. Auto trans would come year 2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i dont think any production cars (trucks with granny gears excepted) today have the:
R 2 4
1 3 5

It was common on old porsches and some other sports cars. It's good for racing, but thats about it in my opinion. Driving around town you need to make that 1-2 shift all the time, on the race track you should only need first when you start or spin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They Are Going To Be All Manual The First Year...don't Worry About Never Driving A Standard Before I Learned In Two Days...i Assume You Are Young Like Me So You Never Drove One Before....but When I Bought My Mr2 Spyder I Was Forced To Learn And Now I Love Driving Standard

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have also never driven stick before, while i am not intimidated by learning stick and i am sure i will pick it up quickly, is there a possibility of really f---ing up the transmission when you are still learning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts