Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know where I could get one of the shifter plates with the shifter positions on it the chrome and the chrome ring that goes around it?

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
If your asking about an OEM replacement, then they pop up on eBay quite often; 2 have sold in the past week.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I looked at making a gated shifter plate but I don't think it's realistic. (Or, at least *I* couldn't figure it out.) The distance from the pivot to the area around the shifter is so small that there's not really enough room between the position of the shaft in different gears. The short shifter (which is awesome) exacerbates the issue.

Many of the cars I've seen that have OEM gated shifters have cable-driven shift mechanisms with a pivot that's much lower in the car, resulting in a lot more left-right movement of the shifter between gears.

It'd be great if someone has figured out a way around this, but I've got nothin'.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I think he means the auto shift plate
Could be. I don't tend to think in terms of "auto".
I looked at making a gated shifter plate but I don't think it's realistic. (Or, at least *I* couldn't figure it out.) The distance from the pivot to the area around the shifter is so small that there's not really enough room between the position of the shaft in different gears. The short shifter (which is awesome) exacerbates the issue.

Many of the cars I've seen that have OEM gated shifters have cable-driven shift mechanisms with a pivot that's much lower in the car, resulting in a lot more left-right movement of the shifter between gears.

It'd be great if someone has figured out a way around this, but I've got nothin'.
Another significant problem is having the shifter mounted to the transmission (which is a good thing except in this instance) and the gate mounted to the chassis, since the transmission can move relative to it.
I thought he was looking for a liver appetizer type thing...
I don't actually laugh out loud when reading things, but I did after this. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Be aware that a gated shifter plate will make shifting more "difficult' , but it looks cool though.
In the couple of cars I've driven with gated shifters - I'm specifically thinking of an F355 - you couldn't really hit the gate with the shifter. The key to its operation was just to not look at the shifter. As long as I kept that in mind, it shifted just like any other manual, though without a lot of the slop that you get in lower-end cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
You could make one by hand and get it etched up still look pretty good. Seems like the main purpose would be down shifting making super sure you didnt hit first while clipping pretty good
Is that a photoshop or actually someone’s solstice ?

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
I broke my chrome ring when I replaced my last headunit. I bought a new shifter (automatic), boot, and all the chrome for $70 including shipping about a month ago from eBay. The unit had more miles on it than did than my garage queens assembly and yet there isn't a single blemish on any of the chrome. I'm incredibly impressed!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Must be someones. That was the dream/ auto show car
So then it could be done? Or did the dream show car have a different transmission/shifter setup so the Ferrari style plate worked?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
So then it could be done? Or did the dream show car have a different transmission/shifter setup so the Ferrari style plate worked?
The distance that the shifter moves (left-to-right) at the height where the plate would be isn't really sufficient for this. If the bearing was lower in the car, you could probably make it work.

To illustrate: put the car in first, then third, then fifth. Just eyeball how much space you have between the gears, and that'll tell you roughly how thin the piece between the gates would have to be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still looking for the automatic shifter plate that has the shifter numbers on it and the ring that goes on the outside of the automatic shifter. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts