Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem? [clunking sound when shifting]

Has anyone experienced any problems with their Solstice - clunking sound when shifting?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
uh oh...time to start the "trouble" section in the forum!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Need one more for a class action.

·
Registered
49 Posts
clunk sound

Can you describe the area of the sound? Is it a good shift where the speed is increasing from the one gear to the next? Or is it when there is a lull in the shift due to driving conditions? Any vibration associated with it?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is there any feedback in the shifter that goes along with the clunk?
Does it do it every time?
If you shut the car off and shift through the gears does it make the same noise?

·
5,641 Posts
carguy said:
Has anyone experienced any problems with their Solstice - clunking sound when shifting?
Your dealership should be able to evaluate the noise to see if there is an actual issue. Just keep in mind, they will not have anything to compare normal characteristics to. Some amount of driveline clunk is normal due to the design characteristics of the driveline system. In many cases some owners may find a clunk noise objectionable, but it will not adversely affect durability or performance.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
And a point for all of you that are new to the roadster experience.

You are now in a car that has no top.

You will hear noises that you never heard in any car before. Even little pop, creak, linkage movement and clink comes right to your ears. Some sounds may indicated a problem. Others are just normal sounds that you would never hear in a car with a roof unless you drove around with your head stuck out the window all the time.

I agree with SD. Have the dealer check it out just to be sure.

PS. Your go'na smell things like never before also. ;)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That clunk will go away when two things happen. You learn how to drive this particular transmission AND when the car travels for a little distance. Then you will no longer clunk.

What annoys me most is the constant timing out of these forums. I think its time for the mods and ownners to look into the cause of this or get a better host. :brentil:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Excelsior said:
That clunk will go away when two things happen. You learn how to drive this particular transmission AND when the car travels for a little distance. Then you will no longer clunk.

What annoys me most is the constant timing out of these forums. I think its time for the mods and ownners to look into the cause of this or get a better host. :brentil:
:agree:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never seen the forums timeout either.

When I picked up my Solstice my salesman told me that the car clunked when shifting from first to second but that it was normal and that maybe GM would come up with a resolution to it.

That being said, I've never noticed this myself. Maybe I need to listen more carefully or something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No clunking for me, but I blast the Monsoon.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Go drive another car with same brand of transmission, Honda, and compare. Or start in 2nd.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Are u sure the "clunk" isn't this?

Originally Posted by AstroDriver
Could someone please explain the term "Driveline lash"?
It means there is too much free play in the drivetrain.
Your slowing down for a stop light and it turns green. You step on the gas and hear a loud "clunk" as the car starts to accelerate.
Or your traveling on the highway and you let the car coast a second then step on the gas...clunk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds and noises

Ah yes. I continue to treasure a 1973 MGB until the Sol GXP is available. Since the top is nearly never up on the car, the reverse experience becomes true. When the top is up, we hear all sorts of potential warning cries from throughout the old girl. :lol:

Saw my first Sol last Sunday 8/28 east bound on I-80 near Warren Ohio. Pursued to get a better look, but had to back off after the universal joints became more conversational. I have new ones at home in boxes, so it would look particularly stupid to break down about now.

The Sol is a beauty. A bit taller and wider than an MGB. A very few pounds heavier, but over twice the horsepower, with three times promised for the GXP.

Good things come to those who wait.

Try not to let your car's more conversational personality bother you. Roadsters are simply a more imtimate automotive experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tls3028 said:
Can you describe the area of the sound? Is it a good shift where the speed is increasing from the one gear to the next? Or is it when there is a lull in the shift due to driving conditions? Any vibration associated with it?
The noise only occures when torque is applied or taken off the drive train - it is only momentary, there is no vibration - it is at every shift both up and down

·
Registered
763 Posts
come on guys I warned you about this, supposedly they were supposed to detune torque on the shift to reduce this, but I guess it is still audible. It is caused by play in the transmission, not gonna hurt anything though, all this is straight from one of the engineers mouth. SEE SIGNATURE LINK.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts