Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 Slingshot (Pontiac Solstice drivetrain) with 4200 miles on it. I have only driven the vehicle about 20-30 miles and now I am having trouble with it shifting into 1st gear and also reverse, very very hard to get into reverse. I have the pedal pushed all the way to the floor and cannot get into 1st or reverse without extreme difficulty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK prez, I'll take a stab at it. It is a hydraulic clutch. I had MG's with hydraulic clutches. So if it is installed on a different vehicle it might fix your problem to simply "Bleed" the system and fill it with fresh hydraulic fluid to get the air out. Plus usually a hydraulic system is actuated soething like a brakes master cylinder with a shaft tha comppresses the fluid. You know what I mean. If there is an adjustment on the shaft move it about 1/4 inch. dont try to sneak up on it a few turns at a time you'll be there all day. I am not an expert on Solstices!

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 Slingshot (Pontiac Solstice drivetrain) with 4200 miles on it. I have only driven the vehicle about 20-30 miles and now I am having trouble with it shifting into 1st gear and also reverse, very very hard to get into reverse. I have the pedal pushed all the way to the floor and cannot get into 1st or reverse without extreme difficulty.
Reverse is frequently an issue with the Aisin transmissions. I sometimes have to shift into third, then neutral, clutch out then in, and then go to reverse. Sometimes multiple tries. No problems with first, though.

If all of the other gears are working the clutch is probably OK. There isn't anything I can think of that would make a difference there. When my master cylinder was failing all of the gears were equally difficult to engage from stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! Found that the small reservoir was low on fluid and after filing up heard a slight vacuum sound coming from the underside of the reservoir when disengaging clutch pedal. going to replace the hose first and see if that fixes problem also check the neck on the bottom of the reservoir to see if cracked or broken. but that seems to be the leakage problem. There appeared to be a slight bit of moisture around the master where the clutch rod inserts into it. The local shop said with infrequent use of the machine (4200 miles in 3 years) that the seals could have dried slightly and could rework themselves back into seating fine with more frequent use

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
Glad you found what appears to be a simple solution.
I hope that your seals re-seat, especially the slave cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts