Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

For fun driving on roads with low traffic volume, which transmission do you prefer?

• Manual

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Automatic

Votes: 6 16.7%
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
798 Posts
A manual shifted auto is perfect and what Im used to....I learned on a std right hand drive mazda way back when the dinosaurs roamed okinawa ,datsun also..and toyota publica...for those who have never heard of it...just think slightly squished vw bug with 1/2 a vw bug engine up front...yup air cooled flat 2 cylinder super slug 4 stroke. the body roll was so bad...( how bad was it?) so bad the rocker pannels could eazely scrub the ground/road when cornering too fast...thats kinda funny "too fast".I miss those days. we were drifting all around okinawa long before it was a thing, IMHO we started it and the local guys started doing it and it spread like wildfire. we had buddies and 4 other cars having a blast every weekend all in a short drifting line. no crashes, just a few yards got a little effed up but very few. what a awesome place for young americans to grow up.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have possiably the best auto trans guy in the world as a friend so..reprogramming should be no issue. he reprogramed anothers friend's gm diesel truck to have an extra gear.....
How does someone reprogram a transmission to have another gear?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe rpm shift points?
The problem with most torque converter autos has to do with programming that favours gas mileage and smoothness. This often time inspires the TCM enacting a Hamlet scene... to upshift or not to be?

An area where I find manual tranny is better is ease of fluid change. With modern autoboxes, you have to change the fluid and the filter pan as well. Some might even call for a TCM reset using proprietary software.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My next car is going to be an F-type jaguar convertible. I have to get one prior to 2020 with a 6 cylinder because it is the only models available in a stick. Kinda sucks not getting a v-8 but its gonna be a daily not a racecar.
I had an e type back in the 70s....4 speed manual. I narrowly missed buying one of the very few xjs 5 speeds produced though I did get to drive it.. very nice

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was reading another forum where the question was asked - what did people want in a sports car to make it fun to drive.

Agile handling came up, as did a good helping of power, but another thread running through almost all of the responses was that such a car would have to have a manual transmission. We aren't talking about what is best for a daily driver - there are lots of reasons for day to day use that get in the way of a manual trans. If I had to crawl through stop and go rush hour traffic every day, for instance, I wouldn't want a manual.

I have noticed the shift (no pun intended) away from manuals since the 1980s - the last year 1988 Fiero GT sold 3799 manuals vs. 3050 autos and it went further toward autos from there.

For fun driving, aside from a winding road free of too much traffic, and regardless of which version you own and why, what do you think the most fun car should come with - automatic or manual?
When I had my car lot I sold a stick to a high school kid why- most car jackers can't drive a stick. His last one was stolen for a football game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have a ‘08 GXP with manual trans. (Brazen orange). It is a sports car and that is why I bought it with a manual. At age 71 still enjoying it. When the second Arab oil embargo in the late 1970’s drove gas prices to the then unheard of price of over a dollar, we newly weds needed a very economical car while my wife was commuting on the PA Turnpike. So we ended up with an ‘81 Buick Skylark, the X-body car. It had no A/C and a 4 speed manual trans coupled with a 2.5 L naturally aspirated 4 cyl. Worked fine in that rural setting. But within a couple of months, I received a job offer in the NYC metro area. My wife went to work for her dad’s company also in NYC and got a cushy company car to drive into the city. Meanwhile, I inherited the econo-box. Commuted in NYC traffic jams for 5 years, no A/C, manual trans! Proud to say I never burned out a single clutch! Drove that car for 140K in that traffic. So, it can be done. Would have wished for A/C before an auto trans however!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I was reading another forum where the question was asked - what did people want in a sports car to make it fun to drive.

Agile handling came up, as did a good helping of power, but another thread running through almost all of the responses was that such a car would have to have a manual transmission. We aren't talking about what is best for a daily driver - there are lots of reasons for day to day use that get in the way of a manual trans. If I had to crawl through stop and go rush hour traffic every day, for instance, I wouldn't want a manual.

I have noticed the shift (no pun intended) away from manuals since the 1980s - the last year 1988 Fiero GT sold 3799 manuals vs. 3050 autos and it went further toward autos from there.

For fun driving, aside from a winding road free of too much traffic, and regardless of which version you own and why, what do you think the most fun car should come with - automatic or manual?
I prefer to the automatic so my wife can drive my Solstice Coupe, but I like to manually shift
the automatic. I plan on adding paddle shifters as soon as I find time to engineer something that looks good. May have to 3D print something.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I would not have bought this car, had it not come with a 5-speed.
All Solstices are 5-speeds! Some are manual and most are automatics.

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I wish it were a 6 speed....and geared for the engine a little better.
The torque curve of the turbo engines is such that an added ratio down below 1.0 (4th) isn't really needed, and a 6th gear above 5th (0.75) wouldn't improve performance - GM tended to do that simply to be able to get better fuel consumption number - the T5 in one of my engine-converted MGs has a 0.63 OD 5th ratio.

For a non-turbo engine, a 6 speed would have 5th gear as 1:1 and an OD 6th, so you'd have a close ratio 5 speed plus a long cruising gear. My Z4M has that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
6 forward gear ratios would be perfect. But alas, this is a parts bin car and IIRC the Aisin AR5 is a manual tranny used in other GM trucks/cars. I don't mind the notchiness too. Will be replacing its fluid for some Redline MT90/MTL cocktail to see if it smooths the shifts a bit.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The point is that with a broad torque plateau like the rubo cars have, there isn't any pressing need for a 6th gear. Getting one that would fit is problematic.

Going to a Tremec T 56 has been done, I believe - talk to DDM.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
In the early days of production Motor Trend sponsored a head to head track comparison of the NA Solstice with a Miata. One of the first comments made was that the Miata's six-speed transmission would give it an advantage. After the Solstice rather convincingly "won" the competition the comment was made that the Solstice actually didn't need the six-speed and that having more gears simply meant that more shifting was necessary.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
in my corvette i had: a wide ratio muncie 4spd, a wide ratio New Process MY6 (a 4spd where 4th is OD), and now a Keisler SS700 5sp where 5th is OD (and it is now an orphan transmission as Keisler is out of business).

The extra gear does nothing for me except pizz me off as it is just one more gear to shift, so i have gotten into the habit of shifting 1,3,4 and 5 after 60.

if i wasn't so old and it wasn't a PIA to do, i would go back to the MY6...

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
I like it how it safes fuel and evey thing runs quieter in an OD. But since you are pissed off by shifting one more gear perhaps an automatic might be a good thing for you.
Few months ago I had a 6 gear rental. Kept forgetting shifting to 6th till I noticed something blinking on the dash. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
Overdrive is great for fuel economy on longer rides.
An interesting fact about most manual transmissions with five or more gears is that the ratio between the lowest gear and the highest gear is the same for all of them. Those that have a tall overdrive will have a tall first gear, and those that have a low first gear have a lower top gear ratio. So the six-speed doesn't necessarily give you a taller overdrive or a lower first than the five-speed, it simply puts more gears between the bottom and the top. For a high-revving but narrow torque band engine more gears will improve performance, but for an engine with a relatively wide torque band the extra gears are unnecessary and simply get in the way.

I like it how it safes fuel and evey thing runs quieter in an OD. But since you are pissed off by shifting one more gear perhaps an automatic might be a good thing for you..........
I don't see how wanting to eliminate unnecessary shifting equates to the automatic being a better choice.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts