Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Shipping Tips?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  easyryderca 
#1 ·
So after a lifetime in Southern California, I was given an offer I couldn't refuse in Nashville. My GXP ships there next Friday along with my C10. Any tips on prepping the Sol for the ride? I've never shipped a car long distance before. Company paid so I don't have a choice of carriers and I can only hope for an enclosed trailer.

The NA is going to take the long distance drive.

#2 ·
and I can only hope for an enclosed trailer.

Hi SolTen, certainly there is a way around that. Tell them you want something better and will pay the difference.

Get a good insurance.

Do not use a car cover on an open trailer.

Also make sure the car is not on a lower level of the trailer. Because when oil from vehicle above drips on the cloth top you might see that stain forever.

#3 ·
Take lots of pictures of the car inside and out. Every panel. Get the driver to inspect the car with you and sign off on the current condition. The issue is how do you prove damage when it gets to the other end if you don't have it fully documented.

if its going onto an open carrier and is not being off loaded prior to the destination, consider getting a roll of shrink wrap at Home Depot and wrapping the car. That will protect it from sand and small rocks but will not flap in the wind and damage the paint.

If its going on a normal car carrier, ask how many trucks it will travel on during the trip. I found that many (most) low to mid range carriers use a zone system. A truck picks up your car along with several others to make up a full load, then travels 1 or 2 states away where it goes to a regional hub warehouse, off loads all the cars and picks up a load going back to its origin. A NEW truck picks up a load of cars and travels to the next regional hub where it offloads and so on. The risk of damage is increased with each cycle. Find out how they will carry your car.

They must provide you with a copy of their insurance coverage. Some is good, some not so much. If you suffer damage and they have crappy insurance you can be forever trying to recover your costs. Know before you put the car on the truck what their coverage is.

A high end bonded carrier will charge $3000 - $5000 to load your car into an enclosed car carrier, transport it to its destination and off load it. But they will not damage the car and have GREAT insurance. I went through this with my shipping to DDM for the conversion. Know before you agree.

#5 ·
SolCal,

Great news on the job offer!

From my experience the open carrier is far less expensive but, car is susceptible to the elements and other items outside of carrier control. I concur that enclosed is the way to go and a reputable company like Reliable or equal would be preferred.

I am having this done as we speak and would not cheap out on the carrier as this could make the experience terrible if something negative were to occur. Most all carriers will walk around the vehicle and document any damage and/or blemishes to cover all parties involved and should be verified at the receiving end...ask about the insurance limits.

Best of luck and keep us posted ~

#6 · (Edited)
Whenever I've sold one of my classic cars, they have shipped out in a semi that took 5 or 6 cars, fully enclosed of course. I think the last one went out with TFX International - you might want to check with them. They wait until they have a load but usually ship within a week or two of booking.

#7 ·
The pricing has a lot to do with the distance it has to travel and the route.

Reactions: Sting Ya
#8 ·
Thank you all for your input, I learned more than I expected to. I feel like I will be much more prepared now. I'm on a corporate relocation program so I have no choice in carriers, unless I want to pay in full on my own, but it is well insured. I have 5 vehicle to move out there so I chose the high mileage (and favorite) GXP and the kabillion mile, 10 MPG, no A/C C10 to take the trailer. I'm not going to bother with photos to document damage on the C10 project, dents may make it look better. Besides, the C10 (El Jefe) is used to being towed, photo below:

Attachments

#9 ·
I imported my Solstice into Europe in 2014. Be aware of all the cost to make the car road legal, customs fees, storage fees, import tax, other tax, land transport, sea transport, et cetera. Also do not forget insurance during the "free" shipping. Depending on what services you need and how honest you are importing a Solstice into Europe can cost as much as 50% of what you paid for the car in the first place. Hopefully it will be a better deal when importing to Australia.

But why shipping to Florida ? Isn't Australia closer to the other coast ?

#12 ·
He can buy my GXP Solstice, is already in Florida. I made him aware of it but have not heard back from him.

#13 ·
After a little bit of research I think that SimonKelly is not a legit user. He has been on the forum three times since posting this and his IP addresses are from all around the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.