Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GXP
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing to short shifter and noticed these little bushings/washers removing the old shifter..they appear to come from each side and were located in the groves on the old shifter (at least some of the pieces that where left). Has anyone seen/had problems with these coming out in pieces and what they are?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
That don’t look good. I installed my short shifter a couple years ago and don’t recall any broken pieces like you’ve shown.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Those pieces are nylon washers/spacers that go over the 2 nubs in the cradle the shifter ball sits into. The shifter ball has 2 groves in it that the nubs and nylon spacers ride in. The spacers are there to reduce friction for one, and for 2 to break like what they have done in this photo. It will absorb the impact due to slamming the shifter into gear, it has a cost... they will break.

No worries tho they can be purchased at any hardware store.

I did let the OP know this, I do not know if they were able to get new ones and got the shifter installed properly.

·
Registered
2007 GXP
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those pieces are nylon washers/spacers that go over the 2 nubs in the cradle the shifter ball sits into. The shifter ball has 2 groves in it that the nubs and nylon spacers ride in. The spacers are there to reduce friction for one, and for 2 to break like what they have done in this photo. It will absorb the impact due to slamming the shifter into gear, it has a cost... they will break.

No worries tho they can be purchased at any hardware store.

I did let the OP know this, I do not know if they were able to get new ones and got the shifter installed properly.
I installed the ddm short without them...seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
OK cool. I hope you lobed it up really good.

I don't remember if the DDM shifter was made to allow the use of them or not. I really can't remember.. I would have to pull my shifter apart to look. which I will have to do because I did forget to put that piece of white insulation on.

while I do like the DDM short throw shifter it didn't do 2 things. it didn't shorten the actual height of the shifter, and it didn't shorten the throw enough to allow me to shift the car comfortably without having to lift my arm off the console. If you take the shifter knob off and look at the bottom of it you will see that the connection point actually comes out of the knob. This piece I shortened by 1/2 - 3\4" I didn't need any parts to do it, tools needed are a grinder, measuring tape, metal files, 80 and 120 grit sand paper, drill, drill bits, flat head screw drivers, either picks or snap ring pliers and a bunch of patience.
The patience is needed because that knob stem is hardened steel and it is going to take some time to grind it down so it's shorter. You also have to make some nylon spacers that are up inside the thing shorter as well, that's what the sand paper is for.

I still have to measure the height of the handle and also how far the throw is now and maybe get a comparison. I would be interested to know what the difference ended up being.

If you would be willing to you can measure it by putting the car in 3rd gear and resting a block of wood across the console so it is just touching the front of the shifter ball, then shift into either 2nd or 4th and do the same for the back. then measure between the 2 boards where the shifter makes contact with them. to measure the height put a level across the top of the shift knob and get it as close to level as possible, then measure from the level to the round chrome ring on the shifter boot, do this with the car in neutral and in a relaxed position.

·
Registered
247 Posts
doesnt shortening the handle or upper part of the shifter significantly reduce your mechanical advantage and conversely increase the amount of effort required to shift? I swapped out to the short shifter and it was enough for me. Use to it now, but I wouldn’t want it to put any more effort into shifting, but it’s personal preference and your driving type.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Went with the DDM short shifter many moons ago & their heavy ball knob. May try to put the oem leather shifter handle back on as i find the ball hot or cold at times & i also miss the look of the oem. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
865 Posts
it does reduce the mechanical advantage when the shifter is made physically shorter but so does moving the pivot point like what was done with the DDM works shifter. 3/4 of an inch don't make a huge difference in the mechanical advantage. I will take some photos of it today and also measure it to see how much different it is.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I have never understood the desire to fit heavy shift knobs. I have the short shifter and a lightweight wooden knob and I can shift with two fingers. The ratio is ideal.

·
Registered
2007 GXP
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the ddm with the ball nob so far. I didn't put the ddm adapter on the short shifter. I used the stock shifter, cut the oem ball off used the oem boot and purchased a 8 buck adapter from Amazon. So far I like it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts