Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GXP
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing to short shifter and noticed these little bushings/washers removing the old shifter..they appear to come from each side and were located in the groves on the old shifter (at least some of the pieces that where left). Has anyone seen/had problems with these coming out in pieces and what
Short shift install .png

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would need to see the entire shifter assembly and maybe point to the "grooves" where you believe they came from.

I do not recall having anything of that size in my shifter assembly when I did a short throw.

This is the shifter assembly and I am not seeing anything like those pieces in the diagram either.

·
Registered
2007 GXP
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would need to see the entire shifter assembly and maybe point to the "grooves" where you believe they came from.

I do not recall having anything of that size in my shifter assembly when I did a short throw.

This is the shifter assembly and I am not seeing anything like those pieces in the diagram either.

View attachment 110555
Picture...also here is link to the shifter install on a sky...if you watch real close around 9:15 area on video, youll see one fall off his with a piece landing on rubber boot....
Youtube link;

·
Registered
597 Posts
OK I know what they are. I do not recall if mine had those bushings or not....

If you look inside of the shifter mount (the metal piece that bolts down onto the transmission) there is going to be 2 nubs that stick out inside of it. Those nubs ride inside of the grooves on the ball of the shifter stem. Those nubs are smaller in diameter then the width of the groove. So there are nylon bushings (washers) that slide over the nubs and when the shifter stem is in place the nubs and bushings are in the grooves.

While it is not going to immediately cause any damage not being there, the bushings purpose is to prevent the metal numbs from wearing off and to also provide a smooth movement to the shifter. nylon sliding across metal is going to be a smoother movement then metal sliding across metal. If you leave them out you will eventually wear the nubs off the mount. Plus the shifter is going to have a sloppy feel to it. Which it probably already had because the bushings were broken. when you replace the the bushings the shifter is going to feel completely different. So you may want to put the stock shifter back in only for the purposes of knowing what it feels like. This way you have some kind of a reference to be able to asses the changes the short shifter makes.

If you take the pieces that you have and go to your local home improvement/hardware store head into the isle with all of the nails and screws. in that isle look for the spot that has the drawers. In one of the drawers you will be able to locate the nylon bushings/washers.. you should be able to size something up from the pieces that you have.

The most important thing to have correct is the hole size. try and get something where the hole is the right size, the outside diameter is the same or larger and the thickness is the same or larger.
If it is larger you can use some sand paper and sand it down to size. You should also grab some graphite grease so you can grease up the grooves and bushing as well as the nylon shifter seat when you install everything.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You might not need the bushings. You will no longer be using the OE pins to hold the shifter. You will be using the riser that came with the new shifter and that riser has the pins in it. The new shifter and riser does not use bushings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts