Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
On the topic of practicality, you can force anything to work. IMHO this car's practicality is a touch higher than a motorcycle or a Slingshot. There are some idiosyncrasies that you will either find it charming or irksome overtime. I am finding bothering me is accessing the trunk when the top is down. It's quite the circus for something so benign.
I agree, but beyond "forcing" something to work, a car that is totally impractical for one person perfectly suits another person's situation, and that can change drastically over time for any individual.

I assume with the trunk you are referring to the need to lift the top out partially to put something under it, and this is definitely a nuisance that we have been complaining about for almost 16 years, although 99% of the time it makes no difference whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Living in a big city, this car is my “motorcycle”.
Fun and mildly impractical for many “car chores” but I have another larger vehicle for that.
I still daily drive as much as I can and every morning and walk out to choose my vehicle for that day, the solstice ALWAYS gives me a smile.
this is a car for those who love driving for driving’s sake :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
But in all seriousness, I think $16500 is a bit steep for a 2006 no matter the condition. The parts you mainly need to worry about are body/interior parts. Most mechanical parts are still available as that little engine was/is used in a lot of GM models.
I paid 11,900 for mine on EBay with about the same mileage. It was full of paint chips ( I swear to Christ they previous owners must have gone out every Saturday in the car and followed a gravel truck ) and some serious neglect that the owner didn't disclose but after I had it buffed and did a really good job on the interior it's a pretty good looking car.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice - basic
26 Posts
I bought my basic 2006 in 2009 with 21k-22k miles (don't remember exactly) for a bit under $15K at Carmax. Have only ever done routine maintenance, replaced the tires once, battery a couple of times (we live in Phoenix now, hard on batteries), turn signal switch (of all things). Drives as well as ever, AC works, kept in the garage, so the roof is still fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought my basic 2006 in 2009 with 21k-22k miles (don't remember exactly) for a bit under $15K at Carmax. Have only ever done routine maintenance, replaced the tires once, battery a couple of times (we live in Phoenix now, hard on batteries), turn signal switch (of all things). Drives as well as ever, AC works, kept in the garage, so the roof is still fine.
Hey thank you for getting back to me
What do you think is a better buy
2007 34k miles $13
Or
2007 11k miles $16500

please help?
And how can I ask the entire forum group? I’m new to this and not sure how to use it

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
2007 34k miles $13
Or
2007 11k miles $16500

please help?
And how can I ask the entire forum group? I’m new to this and not sure how to use it
Ask yourself this; is it worth paying $3,500 more for car that has 23,000 less miles? Also, you need to establish if either owner is willing to be flexible on the price. At the end of the day only you can determine if you feel you paid a fair price.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Would also have to see both cars. Alot of value is how they were maintained and loved and not mistreated by the previous owner. That would matter to me much less than mileage. Also the considition of the top and the paint as those "can" be pretty expensive repairs....

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
26 Posts
Mine is an 06, lo km. When I bought mine, I only knew about the research I had done. Problem was, if the dont ask the right questions, you dont get the right answers. I lucked out and I love mine. A lot of these cars are owned by enthusiasts who adore and care for their cars.....give them everything they need. That's the one you want. A differance of a couple thousand one way or another, in the big picture, wont make a lot of differance. You can drop a couple grand pretty quick if there is deferred maintenance, or if it has been mistreated. When you see it, meet the owner, if private sale, see if it has documented history, take the plunge. You wont be sorry. The forum will be your friend. A solstice obsession seems pretty common on this forum.......myself included.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice - basic
26 Posts
2007 34k miles $13
Or
2007 11k miles $16500

please help?
I'd have to see them and drive them, but my instinct would be to go with your second choice. When I bought mine, it was 3 years old and mint. Kind of an impulse buy since I knew 2009 would be the last year, but I didn't have the $$$ to buy a new Solstice at that time.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts