Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local dealer I have been emailing with just sent me a note saying that he still has one opening out of the thirteen Solstices he was allocated.

Here is my problem:

1) The car I am driving is still a nice car and has no mechanical or cosmetic problems.

2) I have not had to make a car payment for several years now.

3) I really like the Solstice but I have never sat in one and I would hate to buy a car that I did not like after driving it for a few days.

4) I have never owned a convertible car and I am addicted to AC (I live in Houston) so would I end up driving with the top up all the time? My current car has a sun roof that I never open.

5) I sold my Honda CRX and bought my current car because I was tired of driving a manual trans and I was tired of lowering my self into and climbing out of the little car. (I am a fit 6'2")

6) Have I said how much I like the Solstice?

7) I have a gut feeling that a first year Solstice will be worth something in a few years. Like a 1964-1/2 Mustang or a 53 Corvette.

8) Should I just buy the Harley and get the same thrill?

9) I really like the Solstice.

10) Am I just having a mid life crisis? (most likely)

What should I do?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wait to see & drive one...it's an emmotional buy.
If it doesn't move you to buy immediately, then your happy with your current ride!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wouldn't overplay the fact the car might be worth something in a few years. That is no reason to buy a brand new car. A lot can happen between now and 20 years from now to affect the price. Besides, if you are going to drive it daily it won't be a mint, undriven example anyway to really command a high price.

Sounds like you are on the fence about whether you really want to get this car for a few reasons. So go ahead and wait. If you prefer automatics, one should be available by next spring. If you are unsure if you really will like it, certainly wait to see one in person. That is just his last spot in his first 4 month allocation. Your dealer will get more cars, and you will have plenty of more opportunities to order one.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Sounds like you would waste it. If you don't even use your sunroof then I don't see you putting the top down very often. Maybe wait a couple more years and get a coupe! Same good looks, more practical.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think it would go to waste, but I would be blasting the AC the whole time. :)

I am not looking at the potential investment of the 2005 Solstice as a collectors item, just the bragging right of saying "I bought one of those new back in 2005" :devil:

What I really want is the XLR, but just have the change to get one.

But I do have a lottery ticket for this weekend so who knows... :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
To buy or not to buy???

I have a black fully loaded "first 1000" for sale that I have in my possession. I want sticker price plus a donation to the charity of my choice ($2500). You can make the $2500 check out to the charity, so you are entitled to the tax credit.
So, have you mid-life crisis, drive a hot car and help a charity!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.