Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has been looking at 'Cudes lately
Some of the prices are like over $50,000
Would it be great to buy a Solstice and store it for 30 years!
But I would be 80 then, naw I will buy and drive

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Buy two. Use the second to supplement you Social Security! Looks like maybe soon you can use part of your SocSec to pay for it!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Locking a car away hardly ever is economical, unless you get lucky and end up with an ultra rare vehicle in extremely high demand. Since your going to have essentially 20,000 identical Solstices produced in the first year alone, I’d take a pass on storing it for 30 years. The production number is kind of high to create an ultra expensive collectible

Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying it won’t be considered collectible in 30 years. I just wouldn’t bet on the fact that you could recover your investment to buy it and store it for that long, accounting for inflation. It doesn’t happen with many cars, and those that do are usually made in very low numbers (musclecars with special HO engines with hundreds made, not thousands, etc).

·
5,600 Posts
Of course Fformula88 is right. But I know what you mean. The Solstice is such an exciting vehicle above and beyond what the 1st year Miata brought, you almost feel like keeping one pristine for future use or investment.

No, it wouldn't be worth storing one. But your even mentioning one with 'Cudas drives home the point how popular this car could become. I'm thinking Pontiac are going to have to build more than 20k a year, at least for the first few years.

The Fiero sold like 100k their introductory year. So what happens if the latent demand for the Solstice and Sky is 50k or more? Could GM drastically increase production in subsequent years, or would they have to settle for 20k per year knowing they lost massive sales?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea lower volume or having something rare is where the collector value seems to come from. Watching those auctions on TV it seems like some of those 60's cars had low volume runs (limited editions etc.) that something special that now makes them more valuable. There was a rumor that the first 1000 Sols off the line would have a special numbered plate, if that's true that's soemthing that would be collectible. Who knows maybe we will be seeing a Solstice on Barrett-Jackson in 2040 :D

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You all have to remember though this is a mid year introduction. With product ramp up probably occuring during the begining of production I'm betting there wont be 20,000 Solsti the first year. If 20,000 a year is their target sales, then we'll probably be lucky to see half, if not less then that depending on if 'Summer' means June, July, or August. If it's August there's only really 5 months of selling time, 4 if it's late August. So if they get production up to full level from the start, there might be at best 10,000 Solsti in year one if they start Selling in June. If it's late August we might see fewer then 8,000 in year one. Especially with all the people who know the hydroforming process fairly well saying it's going to be slow going as is.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
You all have to remember though this is a mid year introduction. With product ramp up probably occuring during the begining of production I'm betting there wont be 20,000 Solsti the first year. If 20,000 a year is their target sales, then we'll probably be lucky to see half, if not less then that depending on if 'Summer' means June, July, or August. If it's August there's only really 5 months of selling time, 4 if it's late August. So if they get production up to full level from the start, there might be at best 10,000 Solsti in year one if they start Selling in June. If it's late August we might see fewer then 8,000 in year one. Especially with all the people who know the hydroforming process fairly well saying it's going to be slow going as is.
Very true, but I'd like to argue that this is an early introduction, and not a late one. Most 2006's will go into production late summer to fall, where as this one will be rolling out the door in just a few months. Although calender year production for 2005 may not get real high, the 2006 model year production could easily exceed 20,000 units if they produce 2006's all the way into next summer, holding off the 07 model year car until late next summer into fall.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Very true, but I'd like to argue that this is an early introduction, and not a late one. Most 2006's will go into production late summer to fall, where as this one will be rolling out the door in just a few months. Although calender year production for 2005 may not get real high, the 2006 model year production could easily exceed 20,000 units if they produce 2006's all the way into next summer, holding off the 07 model year car until late next summer into fall.
I wonder if they'll get a 5 or 6 VIN number then. If some of them get 5, then those will be the rarest.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jimbo said:
The Solstice is such an exciting vehicle above and beyond what the 1st year Miata brought...
You sure about that? To my recollection there was a substantial amount of hype when the Miata first came out. Even people who weren't "car people" were talking about it!

As a basis of comparison, do you guys think a never-driven first year Miata would fetch much $$$ in 20 years?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I wonder if they'll get a 5 or 6 VIN number then. If some of them get 5, then those will be the rarest.
If they are all 2006 model year cars, they will have to have the same model year digit in the vin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts