• They should provide after purchase service for free

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some comments here about people possibly letting the dealer display their Solstice on the showroom floor for a period of time prior to taking delivery.

My dealer, like others, is considering a PR event to announce the car. Since I am getting thier first one, I guess they will want to use my car. I am willing to allow them to show the car for a while to help build interest so there are more sold here.

I don't want to sound greedy, but I think they should compensate me somehow for the time. I would like to hear your ideas on what it should be worth to let them show it for say 2-weeks to a month. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I actually think they should give you the first 50 or 60K in maintenance, and the life sized banner! But I clicked on banner for now. And make sure they also give you a hat and keychain! Every brand new vehicle I have ever bought, I've always had them throw in a hat, keychain, and sweater.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Primus said:
There's no way I would put my car in the show room so every Tom, Dick, and Harry could drool over it and sit in it.
:agree: Wow, I don’t think I would be brave enough to let them keep it for a while in their showroom! I can only imagine the kids jumping through it, rubbing against it, beating on it, the controls, the seats, etc! Pulling of knobs!

So, to answer the question, I would want something fairly substantial, like free maintenance (which I selected) or a price drop, or something along those lines!

I’d also probably end up at the dealership every day to keep an eye on it, and chase away people who might abuse it! :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Promo

Any thoughts or information on the environmental protection/armor for interior and exterior of the car that the GM dealerships are now offering? I have heard that it costs about $500-700. Last week they had a meeting and were just getting info on a their new product. I am sure that their cost is a l o t less. My car has the black exterior. For *PR on it, that is what I asked for.

*They've said getting this car is going to be a "big deal", pic in paper/article type thing.

(maybe/maybe not) :leaving:

:lol:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
When Vipers first came out, the local dealer had one in his showroom behind a velvet rope with the new owners name on a sign. Asked the dealer what they had to do to show it like that. Salesman didn't know all the details of the arrangement, but did know that the dealer was paying the car note and insurance while the car was on display. And Viper insurance ain't cheap!

It's not uncommon for display boats to be sold at boat shows. More than once have talked to the new owner as they babysat their new six figure toy. All were both highly elated and highly stressed.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I have offered that I can meet at the dealership after work, I work close to dealer, or on weekends every so often to show the car. Then I will be with it and not just walk away from it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
two words.. Extended Warranty

I also like the velvet rope idea... Hands off my car

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd rather take something else besides the extended warranty. I hate extended warranties, because I find it difficult to find a dealer that can actually fix the problems without hassle. I'd rather save somewhere else, and either do my own repairs down the road of pay a trusted mechanic.

I do like the velvet rope idea. Maybe with a couple well built guards around it too!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
No way! They would REALLY have to make it worth my while. Like throw in a cat-back exhaust, suspension kit, wind blocker, and luggage rack/soft luggage for nothin'.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Actually if it doesn't arrive until October, a couple weeks of drive time and then it can spend the winter in a nice heated showroom, might not be too bad after all. Sure it would be my car sitting there but if I wasn't driving it it would not be a lot different than the GTO, SSR or 'vette that was sitting in same spot for 4 months before being purchased.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm very pleased with my dealer and would consider them keeping the Sol for a few weeks as long as no one drives it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
achieftain said:
it would not be a lot different than the GTO, SSR or 'vette that was sitting in same spot for 4 months before being purchased.
For what its worth, GTO's typically last 1-2 weeks 'round here. At least that has been the case with the 2005 model year. Let us all hope that Pontiac does not soil the reputation and percieved value of the Solstice by overporducing the vehicle in its 1st year. As you can see, last year's debacle with the GTO is a difficult stain to get out.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GTO sales are up 81% this year over last year with minimal incentives. It looks like GM is turning around the fortune of the new goat! :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Breeze said:
For what its worth, GTO's typically last 1-2 weeks 'round here. At least that has been the case with the 2005 model year. Let us all hope that Pontiac does not soil the reputation and percieved value of the Solstice by overporducing the vehicle in its 1st year. As you can see, last year's debacle with the GTO is a difficult stain to get out.
I don't think we'll have to worry about that. If the cars are really delayed till Sept/Oct that means the 4 month allotment dealers have is for the last 4 months of the year. I defintely know my dealer I've going to has sold all of that 4 months allotment (15 cars), and then 25+ MORE cars on top of that. Even if the cars did start arriving in June it would be a slow trickle I bet, taking a while to build up the 4 month allotment. I really wouldn't expect the following allotment to come in much faster. Because if Pontiac delivered 30 cars to my dealerhsip over the next 4 months allotment that would be required to meet the current demand that would be a 50% increase in production. Also by then even if they filled those past due orders, they'd still have to then fill all the orders from new customers coming in who've been seeing them on the roads for 8 months now with very limited availability.

Depending on demand it might take a full three 4 month cycles (a full year) to catch up to demand with deliveries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts