Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 2008 GXP started having issues today on way home.
The idle has been sort of off a bit for the past couple days... noticed a periodic drop in the sound in the morning, but the needle didn't show anything. Today the compression went out at a stop light and things started sputtering. Managed to keep it cranked with the idle, but couldn't get it to move. First thought it was in 3rd gear and checked the gear and managed to get it to move up a bit. I reved it a bit to try to get it cleared out (if it was bad gas). Got through the intersection and drove it with compression acting in and out until I got to a driveway and tried to go up the driveway(uphill), it would not go and finally the engine light came on. I watched the engine temps which were always below 200. I checked the oil and it appeared fine. There was a burning smell under the hood. I kept trying to rev the engine to make it move as it was acting like I wasn't giving it enough gas.

Any ideas? It's at the dealer now so I guess I will find out int he morning.

Any ideas? I kept waiting for a cel but there never was one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, that should be covered under the power train warranty since it's a 2008 model. If that is the correct diagnosis. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if there is no code, will the code reader help?
There was no code in the DIC
Maybe I misunderstand what these are for :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can pull codes with no engine DIC being displayed

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm curious as to how he knows the compression is down or out. Did he check cylinder compression with a gauge? Either way I agree, time to buy a code reader or have the codes read is the first diagnosis step.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the confusion... I am not the most learned auto mechanic out there. I would give it gas, and the engine would almost die? Press the clutch back in, and it would run normally for a bit, then drop and come back up (rpms). Maybe I am confusing that with compression. Push more gas in to rev up the engine and let the clutch out slowly and it may or may not go and half way through the acceleration, it will drop rpms and almost die. I was thinking the clutch was going out, but that shouldn't cause the idle to act odd or the engine to almost die.

Dealer read the code and there was a -5 volt drop that they cleared. Seems to run fine now for short distances, and they are gonna try it for longer distances shortly. Almost seemed like there is water in the gas?

Code reader is a good idea. It was raining too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I see you have the GMPP tune.

The connectors for the new sensors could be part of the issue.
A lot of people have had trouble with them and had to cut out the butt connectors the dealer used and solder the wires.

Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
What elff says... need them soldered. It that is not the problem now it probably will be in the future. Then at least you could rule that out in your troubleshooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts