Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know, but I sick of people referring the Fiero as a piece of crap. In its time is was a great car, and a big bang for the buck. Because the 84's has fire issues, the whole production run was labled as failures. My Fiero runs like a top and corner and stops on a dime. In its day, its performance numbers beat everyone else in its class.

Most people didn't take care of them at all and thats why most of them on the road run rough, look like crap, and you see kids driving them for first cars rather than something they saved up for because they wanted one real bad. Most of them look like beater cars, what a shame. Drive them in salty winters watching them rust apart. No respect for car at all.

When look through threads of people talking about the Solstice, they are always referring back to the Fiero and how worthless they think it was. Tell ya what, most of these people never even driven one. They don't even know that the Fiero even got 5 out 5 stars in a front impact collision test regardless of the motor in the back. Many people don't it was one of the first ever cars to use a spaceframe. Its body is so strong and adaptable, that why its a kit car builder's choice car with bolt on body panels.

The Fiero gave me my first thrills of driving a car. Still gives me a big grin when I start it up and here that exhaust rumble and the viabration sensation on my back from the motor running less than a foot behind me.

For what car is and can be, I don't understand why so many people look down on it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Still have my second Fiero, an 86 V-6 SE with manual trans. First one was an 84 that wasn't..

Yes, when they burn it produces toxic gas just like a Trabant but then a TranSport and a Reatta have the same plastic fenders so wasn't just a Fiero thing.

Fire issue can be blamed on the bean counters but was a Rube Goldberg happening. The Fiero was designed during the economy craze and anything that could save a few pennies was tried.

Now the 2.5l "Iron Duke" was never noted for a robust bottom end but it had been a reasonably reliable engine in the Sunbird and J-2000. However the bean counters (might have been the designers seeking more ground clearance, only the general knows) decided to put in a smaller oil pan for the Fiero. One less quart. And there was no oil pressure guage in the 84s.

What happened is that the American public rarely checked the oil since many American cars never used any between oil changes. Besides, in most cars two quarts low was no big deal. Not in the Fiero. Despite being sold as a "do it yourself" car, many people didn't.

Anything over about a quart and a half down and you could be sucking air. Not good. Do it enough and the bearings get very very hot. Then some seize and the rod breaks. And due to the way the engine rotates the rod remnant exits the block to the front, not the rear. Which dumps the half-quart or so of oil that is left which is pretty hot to begin with onto the catalyst which is Right There. (At the time GM warned people not to park over dead leaves because they might cause a fire.

So the hot oil ignites next to the wiring harness and the starter (its pretty crowded back there) and as soon as the starter cables get hot enough (hot oil by itself might have been sufficient, rubber melts at a pretty low temperature) and shorts out the battery. Have seen the result but is difficult to say exactly what happened in what order.

Various other things may ignite or melt in short order, the most serious being the body itself which emits a particularly noxious gas when burning.

Now this did not happen very often and when it did could be ascribed to terminal stupidity on the part of the operator but still it was Not Good and reminded people of the Vega (another time for what happened there and why - I had a number of Vegas and Astres and the only problem I had was one head gasket and a vacuum modulator on a transmission). All did have temp guages even when not stock and I run cars cool anyway) and the more recent Diesel disaster (which may be why Olds 350 gas engines are so hard to find).

The result was a formal DOT Recall on all 84 Fieros. When so serviced the Fiero received:
1) assorted baffles and shields to keep oil from spraying on Hot Things.
2) a different oil filter(PF 47 was replaced by a PF 51 which is about a quarter quart larger (I always use a PF-52 which superceeded the PF-51 on mine)
3) A new dipstick with the FULL mark about a 1/2 quart higher
4) A new owner's manual listing the new oil filter and cautioning the owner to check the oil often
5) Assorted stickers in various places.

After that later cars were designed to hold enough oil and the problem went away with the cars improving every year until they were cancelled in 88 which had finally gotten the promised Lotus designed suspension.

Reason for cancellation was simple: they were not selling and which makes the 88 the rarest, arguably the best design, and the hardest to get parts for.

Not that the earlier design was bad, just that the lawyers would preferred that an non-judicious manoever which left all four tires and the driver screaming would cause the Fiero to leave the road facing front rather than backwards. Can you say "terminal understeer" ? Like ignorance, it is curable.

Today the Fiero is a cult car and I enjoy mine even though it is not really suitable for today's city traffic (had a number of instances where a SUV tried to share my lane because my roof was lower than his window sill & I was invisible. All of my cars have air horns).

That said my daily driver (we are off topic here) is a Reatta which is large enough to be seen and with nine on-board computers, a touchscreen CRT, and its own LAN is the ultimate geek car. However, at the moment, all of my vehicles have roofs since I sold the 67 GP GALB and the craving is coming back which brings us to the Solstice (unless I find a convertable kit for the Fiero...)

Weasle words: the above is how I remember it. To be 100% (why I did not give the exact oil capacity of the original 84) I would have to dig through a bunch of records and am in the midst of trying to make the den passable without walking on a foot or so of papers so YMMV & Notary Sojack y'all.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Not sure where it comes from, but there is a mis-conception that the 88 fiero suspension was designed by lotus. This is simply lore - I know some of the individuals who work with the individuals (I know that sounds like FOAF, but it is accurate) that did development and design work on the front and rear suspension back in 1985-86-87 and 88, and Lotus had nothing to do with it.

Lotus was and still is very careful with the cars they are associated with, and would have wanted a sticker on any vehicle they "designed" or "developed".

This mixup/misunderstanding was probably the result of the "Electro-Hydraulic-Power-Steering", which was prototyped on the 1988 Fiero but never made it into production (carline was cancelled first). This type of steering uses a motor to drive the power steering pump (instead of driving off a belt from the engine). Lotus ended up using a lot of the parts for the Fiero EHPS and that is essentially the steering system in the Lotus Esprit. However, the front and rear suspension were fully internal GM-designed geometry and components.

On a tangent, the 88 has better brakes than the 87 and older. With sticky tires, the stopping power is really quite amazing.

-Fellow Fiero 'Enthusiast' of sorts...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mea Culpa. Shall we say "designed as if by Lotus" ? There was a lot of cross pollination between the Colin Chapman works and GM at the time (and the "Chapman Strut" was derived from the "McPherson Strut" designed in the '50s for the general who canned that line of development (yet another interesting evolution).

·
Registered
281 Posts
wish i had never gotten rid of my 86 GT fastback. sweet little car.

let me preface this by saying: I AM A GOD AMONG MORTALS.

I had lots o' sex in my GT. yes, its true! in numerous states, i might add. indeed, i lost my virginity in that passenger seat. and many a teenage girl was dissappointed (REPEATEDLY!) in my feeble, 16 year old sexual prowess thereafter. i miss my lil GT.

i miss the girls, too.

aaaaanyway, i too am tired of the bad rep the car had. mine was just a lowly 3-speed auto, but nothing less than a vette could take me up to 60mph from a stop.

Fire-o: hate that name

"its a deathtrap, one little accident and they total it": actually had a very high survivability rate. it was just expensive to repair and depreciated enough that insurance companies wouldnt pay.

interestingthings about my car:

would fit under a semi trailer on the highway (wasnt by my choice)
car is invisible to anyone driving a ford, especially an F-150
car was mistaken as "someting new" as late as 96 when i sold it.
sample conversation:
"man, nice car!"
"thanks!"
"thats...what is that? is it european?"
"naw, its a pontiac"
"REALLY?! i didnt know pontiac made cars like THAT!"
"well, they dont anymore."
(confused look)
"its an 86 fiero"
"NO WAY! it looks like something new. i never knew they made one that looked like that."
"yeah"
(pausing...a moment of reflection and appreciation)
"hey, you know ive had sex in that car."

:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bizz said:
wish i had never gotten rid of my 86 GT fastback. sweet little car.

let me preface this by saying: I AM A GOD AMONG MORTALS.

I had lots o' sex in my GT. yes, its true! in numerous states, i might add. indeed, i lost my virginity in that passenger seat. and many a teenage girl was dissappointed (REPEATEDLY!) in my feeble, 16 year old sexual prowess thereafter. i miss my lil GT.

i miss the girls, too.

:D
lmao, On an attempt to "do it" in the car on prom night, turned out to be a total disaster. There was like no way in hell that this was going to be accomplished. I ended up getting hurt when the hose got kinked. It was so funny and embarassing at the same time. lol I just kept in the back of my 85' Regal. lol

I have a black on silver 85' Fiero GT 4-speed with all the goodies even though I ripped the A/C out of it. It has 134k miles on it, never winter driven, always garaged and the car looks like new inside and out.

Pretty much everything said is true about the car expect for the Lotus thing, that was just a rumor that turned into myth.

When I can afford it, I drive my Fiero hitting alot of Fiero shows. Last one I went to was Dells Run In Winsconsin. My Fiero got 4th in its class as a stock daily driver. I mad when I missed the 20 aniverasy in Pontiac Michigan at the old Fiero Plant.

Funny, I always wanted a Buick Reatta as a daily driver, lol

I still debating in my head whether to save up for a Solstice and keep the fiero (which means I will have to go without driving the Fiero to save oin the insurance) or not get the Solstice and all the money I saved get a semi racing suspension, paint job, get the rims chromed, and look at doing a 3.4 DOHC swap job or 3800 S/C swap. I have also thought about just keeping the motor in it and try to get the HP around 240-250 which would be bitching wich the original motor. Although lately I have been finding it alot harder than just two years ago to find engine performance parts. I would like to stick forged high compression pistons on the car, but I can no longer find any. The Fiero Store used to have them but they don't anymore.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Parts for a 2.8 are hard to find because everyone has gone to at least at 3.1 or 3.4. I would stay away from the "Twin Double Overhead Cam" 3.4 as it is a nightmare to work on (think about doing a valve job on a Quad-4. Now double it. If you haven't had the experience of working on the top end of a Quad-4, don't. Only engine I ever saw that it takes a over an hour and major disassembly to replace the air cleaner. Even GM never figured out the right way to do it). Stock cam in block 3.1 is good for 6 grand.

Still have my Fiero just normally drive the Reatta (and prices are in the toilet - know of several in reasonable (#3) shape in the $2k-$3k range. - even recently passed on a complete 86 V-6/4spd Fiero for $300).

Think just about every engine imaginable except for a big block V-8 has been stuffed into Fieros, lots of SBC versions around and all manner of GM V-6 engines both s/c , t/c, and NA. Even saw one incredible conversion involving a 215 aluminum Buick installed endways and feeding a Subaru transaxle.

Amazing what happens on a rainy day with whatever is sitting around (friend also has a Reatta but with 3800 s/c and five speed Getrag. Redesigning the PROM program is an ongoing experience particularly since he is in Canada and I live in Florida).

Of course the cars my wife also drives are all automatics but my toys are manual. Nothing like 450 hp and a Muncie to cure the Blues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, 3800, Northstar and SBC 350's are pretty popular in Fiero swaps. see www.v8archie.com

Yes Big Blocks have been installed in Fieros too, both in the front and the back. I was almost serious in buy a front motor fiero with a 454 with rollers that was race prepped for the drag strip and it ran like low 10s for $6000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts