Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was a good idea to split this off from "wanted to buy" as it will deal with getting this version off the ground and separated it from the group by from the molded lens source.

When it comes to 3D CAD I've always been a "right angle" kind of guy - more of the functional than the fashionable. The swept surfaces of bodylines are just not anything I've had a great deal of experience with, but I think I understand about half of what I know about that area of the software that I can make it happen. Kind of like trying to create a sculpture with a jackhammer - it's possible, but it ain't always pretty.

First thing I need to know is if anybody active on the forum has taken the lens off of the housing? If so, how did you do it? At first blush Mine appears to be solvent bonded (glued) or possibly ultrasonically welded. I ask because I can model the outside surface and estimate wall stock thickness and internal geometry, but I'd rather get exactly what is needed (or as close to it as I can get.) I have the driver's side lens and housing assembly off of my Solstice but I don't want to mess it up taking it apart because, well, the boss will be very pissed at me!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
I just had my side marker lights out to have them spray tinted along with all my rear lights. You can have it out in about 10 seconds once the hoods up. Take a flat head screwdriver and depress the tab at the top of the picture. Once the tab is depressed the light will tilt outward from the top. There was no double sided tape or anything else on my 07 GXP.

Edit: It was easier for me to remove the wiring harness once I pulled the light.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,978 Posts
First thing I need to know is if anybody active on the forum has taken the lens off of the housing? If so, how did you do it? At first blush Mine appears to be solvent bonded (glued) or possibly ultrasonically welded. I ask because I can model the outside surface and estimate wall stock thickness and internal geometry, but I'd rather get exactly what is needed (or as close to it as I can get.) I have the driver's side lens and housing assembly off of my Solstice but I don't want to mess it up taking it apart because, well, the boss will be very pissed at me!
Duh! You had to ask? OF COURSE I've done it! :)

Yes, they are welded together, I used a Dremel with a fine rotary saw blade. Info and pics here: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/kappa-side-markers-42137/

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that's exactly what I thought I "saw". Solvent bond on the mating faces and the top edge is overlapped. I could tell it was solvent bond by the "haze" along the mating surfaces.

It's also intriguing How there's a slight baffle on the housing near the bulb location and the prisms are different in a stripe near there. It's obviously designed to project the light further up the lens from the bulb location. I can't and won't spend any brain power on that at this point. I'm going to just try to get a reasonable replication of the lens that can be printed and tested.

The refinement will be refined when it's fine to refine it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already know that I have a "tail" at the bottom that needs to be cleaned up. Revenge of the NURBS here.

Back in my high school days I adapted to the concept of the "French Curve" - a device used to "smooth" out irregular curves. Up until that point everything was right angles, parallel lines or 15, 30, 45 or 60 degree angles. The very thought of "approximating" something just didn't register with me.

When I got into CAD I learned about "splines" and more specifically Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines - NURBS. Suffice it to say there is a crap-ton of math going on here. I laid my lens assembly on my scanner and took scans on 3 different planes. I then took those images into my CAD software and sketched NURBS on the profiles on 3 different planes. I then developed surfaces from those planes and used those to "cut" or redefine the surfaces of the solid model I'd created.

Once we whip this version into "compliance", I have to figure out a plane to mirror it on to create the passenger side. Carmakers design everything in "body position" so they know where the X,Y,Z axes are - we're going to have to "approximate" the orientation.

Lemme know how it goes. Specifically, if you find areas that interfere, please mark them on a photo or other image and tell me how much they need to "move".
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,236 Posts
Did a quick test print. It came out ok. I need to enlarge it as it came out of the machine it's about one third size but I can make that work. In clear the portion against the glass is very clear. Will do a larger version and get some pics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't even think to check the scale Rob! Sorry about that. As I scanned it into a JPEG and imported it into CAD I should have checked it for scale before I went any further.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,236 Posts
I enlarged the figure and oddly enough it still came out small. Bigger, but even after setting the scale to 8.5 inches it's about four long I need to start over I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I enlarged the figure and oddly enough it still came out small. Bigger, but even after setting the scale to 8.5 inches it's about four long I need to start over I guess.
Let me hammer that out on this end. Should only take a few minutes. You'll have a new file via e-mail in just a bit.
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top