Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my Solstice for around 3 months now. This has been happening ever since I bought the car. Under moderate throttle, I have a side to side swaying motion in the rear of the car. It's nothing so severe that it would make me lose control, but it is slightly uncomfortable. It doesn't happen under light throttle or even under full throttle. The rear is not breaking traction when it occurs. Is this normal or is this something I need to look at?

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
There should not be any swaying. Definitely look into it.

·
Administrator
17,154 Posts
DDM ProBeam.

I had the same sensation back in the day when I was daily driving the car. As soon as I mentioned it on the forum, Dave came out with the ProBeam. Solved that issue for me.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Tire pressure okay? Try raising the pressure 2 or 3 psi from the recommended setting. I found my car used to wander a bit in corners and a couple psi change in tire pressure fixed that.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Besides low tire pressure, it could be directional tires mounted wrong, or mismatched tires. Also there are some rear hub bolts on the inboard side of the wheel hubs that need to be retorqued from time to time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks everyone. I'm planning on getting the Probeam when funds allow. I'll try out the other suggestions and see if that helps also.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Ok thanks everyone. I'm planning on getting the Probeam when funds allow. I'll try out the other suggestions and see if that helps also.
The Probean IS a good buy, but from your symptoms, I doubt that will solve your issue. Sounds to me like your shocks may be gone, or other wheel/suspension issues as others have mentioned. I would get your car looked at before you install a Probeam.

Reactions: al_c

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
An obvious question that no one asked how many miles are on the car ,do you have a service history ?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,118 Posts
depending on where you are driving if the asphalt has excessive cupping due to the kind of wide tires on the Solstice the vehicle can track in the cups. This would make the car move in a side to side motion and can be interpreted as some kind of sway.

The same think can also happen on a concrete road if the concrete has groves in it. depending on the tread of the tire you can end up with the same kind of a feeling.

So my questions are does it happen all the time? Does it happen only on the same roads?

Reactions: 4501 Safari

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned my Solstice for around 3 months now. This has been happening ever since I bought the car. Under moderate throttle, I have a side to side swaying motion in the rear of the car. It's nothing so severe that it would make me lose control, but it is slightly uncomfortable. It doesn't happen under light throttle or even under full throttle. The rear is not breaking traction when it occurs. Is this normal or is this something I need to look at?
Surprised you guys didn't know the answer to this one!
It's the bolts that hold the wheel bearings.
They loosen up with hard cornering and need to be locktighted.
Let us know what you find.
Thanks,

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Surprised you guys didn't know the answer to this one!
It's the bolts that hold the wheel bearings.
They loosen up with hard cornering and need to be locktighted.
Let us know what you find.
Thanks,
I'm pretty sure that @CycleCat covered that one in Post #5.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,118 Posts
I haven't had the rear bolts loosen up personally it ha always been the fronts that come undone.

Reactions: 4501 Safari

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I test drove a Triumph TR6 back in the day that you could not keep in a straight line. Turned out to be the rear (lever) shocks.

Reactions: marksbug

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,051 Posts
the swaying was the first thing I noticed on the highway I didnt like on the way home from buying mine, someday Ill put in the rear support thingy...someday Ill get a calendar that has someday on it...perhaps a solstice calendar. :unsure: :)

I remember those tr6's they kinda drove like there were extreamly nose light, kinda like too much tongue weight, I think the front ends werent quite right...but I reckon it could of been the rear ends too. always wandering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had this same issue when I lived in South Philly !

Did you check for a mobster in the trunk?
Sometimes they start kicking again if not properly stored and wrapped in plastic.

More seriously ANY solstice should not have an overly loose rear end. You may have something major going on.

When new my GXP did track in road grooves and replacing the tires + backbone fully resolved that.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
978 Posts
I had this same issue when I lived in South Philly !

Did you check for a mobster in the trunk?
Sometimes they start kicking again if not properly stored and wrapped in plastic.

More seriously ANY solstice should not have an overly loose rear end. You may have something major going on.

When new my GXP did track in road grooves and replacing the tires + backbone fully resolved that.
Haha, I read that in an east coast accent.
:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Haha, I read that in an east coast accent.
:)
Lol

The old Italian neighborhoods in Philadelphia each have a slightly unique accent. I had friends who would consistently drink for free by betting other bar patrons they could guess where they grew up inside less than 10 block radius.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts