Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Side turn signals and rear red fog light

In order to make the lights of my Solstice road legal I need the following:

-1- Turn signals be visible from the side.

-2- Red rear fog light on the left hand side of the car.

My car does not have forward fog lights, but those are not needed to make it road legal any way.

- - - - - - - - - Turn signal should be visible from the side - - - - - - - - - - -

To fix problem #1 I found the mod below, by DeepBlue, in these forums:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum...marker-lights-into-marker-turn-signals-48817/

http://www.youtube.com/v/n2sqdzgdl1A

- - - - - - - - - Red rear fog light on the left hand side - - - - - - - - - - -

To fix problem #2 I have already bought the switch below. That is a real good start I think :)

Some European Kappa drivers have installed the fog light like this:

To put it mildly: "that is not is not impressive"

So I would like to do it like in the image below:

Basically disabling one backup light and make it into a switch operated red light.

Any tips & suggestions on how to do this ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, the backup lights can be converted to work as rear fogs relatively easily, using white/red switchback LEDs. We do not currently carry them, but other suppliers might out there. You would basically have an extra wire coming out of your bulbs socket, which you could connect to your rear fog switch.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nick & Rob, too bad Diode does not have the switchback LED available.

The manual states: "Back-Up Lamps 3047"

Do you have a bright (at least as bright as the brake light) red one for it ?

Or does anyone know what number a 3047 would be in red, or does the number not determine the color ?

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Just buy some red-tinted lens sticky tape (for repairing cracked/broken lenses). Not sure where you are, but I know it was available in the UK.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
So what was finally done to get it road legal . . . .

-1- Replace the bulb of the drivers side backup light with a red DD one and install a dedicated switch in the dash. The lens remained white.
-2- Replace amber running lights with white ones. Apparently amber running lights are not allowed. I was not aware of this requirement at all.
-3- Rewired side markers so they get power from the turn signals.

In case above animated image is broken click the one below:

Will post some pictures of the rear fog light later this week.

·
Registered
715 Posts
-1- Replace the bulb of the drivers side backup light with a red one and install a dedicated switch in the dash. The lens remained white.
Thus creating a rear fog lamp, I figured?
-2- Replace amber running lights with white ones. Apparently amber running lights are not allowed. I was not aware of this requirement at all.
This does not seem to be a problem here in Brazil, apparently amber DRLs are OK. But how did you go about this one. Did you break/remove the amber lenses?
-3- Rewired side markers so they get power from the turn signals.
Side repeaters are also not mandatory here but it is a good way of solving this issue.

Were you not required to have some kind of amber rear turn signal, operated independently from the brake lights?

As for the rear foglamp switch. Do you happen to have the part number and know for which model it came? (Maybe the Opel GT)?

Thanks

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts

As for the rear foglamp switch. Do you happen to have the part number and know for which model it came? (Maybe the Opel GT)?

Thanks
I have a rear fog lamp switch for an Opel GT and it appears to be the same as the normal front fog lamp switch used in the Sky and (I am guessing) the Solstice. Since it supplies a momentary signal to the BCM, it cannot be used to directly control a light.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a rear fog lamp switch for an Opel GT and it appears to be the same as the normal front fog lamp switch used in the Sky and (I am guessing) the Solstice. Since it supplies a momentary signal to the BCM, it cannot be used to directly control a light.
John, thanks for quickly chiming in. So I'd have to either mod the switch to become a permanent (as opposed to momentary) switch or use a flip-flop circuit.
Apart from being the same as the front fog switch I imagine it has the correct icon for rear fog (ie. "flipped" compared to the front fogs)? Thanks

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
John, thanks for quickly chiming in. So I'd have to either mod the switch to become a permanent (as opposed to momentary) switch or use a flip-flop circuit.
Apart from being the same as the front fog switch I imagine it has the correct icon for rear fog (ie. "flipped" compared to the front fogs)? Thanks
I think the flip-flop circuit will be a lot easier than modifying the switch, unless you can find a similar switch with the latch mechanism that you can exchange caps with.

A good question about the icon. I bought the two-switch panel and switch "because they were available" but never really looked at them because I didn't actually have a use for them at the time.

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
I checked on the switch that i bought and it is still available 2006-2010 Solstice SKY Opel GT Rear Fog Light Driving Light Switch New 15773547 | Factory OEM Parts :

Font Camera lens Lens Camera accessory Cylinder

It looks like the same icon, but maybe it is installed reversed? I don't actually know what mine looks like, as it is pretty much out of sight, but I did look at the owner's manual illustration:

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thus creating a rear fog lamp, I figured?
Correct.

. . . .here in Brazil, apparently amber DRLs are OK. But how did you go about this one. Did you break/remove the amber lenses?
Lenzes where not amber, just the bulbs. So those where replaced.

Side repeaters are also not mandatory here but it is a good way of solving this issue.
I recommend doing that anyway, so people can see when your are about to take a turn.

Were you not required to have some kind of amber rear turn signal, operated independently from the brake lights?
No, red was ok. So actually my turn signals are
White in the front
Amber on the side
Red in the back

:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I checked on the switch that i bought and it is still available 2006-2010 Solstice SKY Opel GT Rear Fog Light Driving Light Switch New 15773547 | Factory OEM Parts :

View attachment 117917

It looks like the same icon, but maybe it is installed reversed? I don't actually know what mine looks like, as it is pretty much out of sight, but I did look at the owner's manual illustration:

View attachment 117918
Thanks. The icons are reversed (at least that's what I always found in several European brand cars I have owned). I noticed it seems the button you have has no telltale LED like the Solstice front fog button does. It might be because of some rule in Europe requiring a telltale light on the instrument panel. Maybe the Sky also works that way (fogs on/off indicated in the cluster instead of the button itself)?

Anyway some googling gave me a good short answer on the difference between the icons for front and rear fogs:
Sky Font Magenta Brand Darkness

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Thanks. The icons are reversed (at least that's what I always found in several European brand cars I have owned). I noticed it seems the button you have has no telltale LED like the Solstice front fog button does. It might be because of some rule in Europe requiring a telltale light on the instrument panel. Maybe the Sky also works that way (fogs on/off indicated in the cluster instead of the button itself)?

Anyway some googling gave me a good short answer on the difference between the icons for front and rear fogs:
View attachment 117919

Cheers
Yes, the Sky has an indicator in the IPC, it would be interesting to see what the Opel GT has, ie: one or two.

So the Solstice switch is different, is it a maintained switch? If you leave the fogs on when you power the car off, are they on when you power it back on?

Hmmm, I wonder if the FactoryOEM description is wrong, or if GM elected to ignore convention and labeled both switches the same.

I have messaged an Opel GT owner on the Sky forum, we will see if he has any answers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts