Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've adjusted (down) my drivers side window twice now so it won't hit the convertible top. Is this normal to have to re-adjust it? Both times I had to lower the back portion so it won't hit when closing the door, and this weekend it started hitting again. I already read and made some adjustments according to this thread (Door Glass Comes in Contact with Convertible Top) and mentioned some other things I did in this thread (Side Window Adjustment... twice now? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum), which is why I went to the glass adjustment. Anything else I should be looking at, or just lower the glass again (for the third time...)?

Thanks...
Art

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I've marked the window before lowering it (so I can keep track of the distance) and I've tightened down the bolt very well afterwards.

Getting tired of removing the door panel just to do the same thing "again". Each time it's working just great, not hitting the top and I'm happy to finally have the issue fixed....

·
Registered
559 Posts
When you adjusted it the second time was the bolt loose in anyway? If so add some thread locker if you need to adjust it again

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, bolt was not loose. Crazy I know, that's why I wondered if anyone else has experienced this....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So last night I pull the door panel off to adjust the window... again (I should be able to do it in my sleep by now). Just to confirm I'm doing it correct, I've loosened the clamp bolt (#1 in the photo) and move the glass down in the clamp, the re-tighten. Is this correct?

And, what is the adjustment (#2 in the photos) next to the clamp nut for? You can see the adjustment bolt better in the second photo. Is that something I should be messing with (I haven't thus far)?

Thanks for the help guys...

Art

Another angle of the same location, you can see the bottom of the adjustment bolt.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
That is the height adjustment screw. There is a rubber cover on the bottom of the door that gives access to the adjustment screw you turn that to make the adjustment

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob, so that adjusts the height in conjunction with or independently of the window clamping?

I thought I read somewhere the adjustment from the bottom was for the tilt/angle of the glass? The adjuster in the pic is way up near the top of the door (right beside the clamping bolt).

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts

·
Administrator
9,723 Posts
If screw #2 in the picture is the one described in the manual as being accessed from the bottom of the door, it is the tip-in adjustment, and not a height adjustment. The only height adjustment I saw in the manual is done by loosening the clamp screws. Oddly, the manual references a major height adjustment, a minor height adjustment, and a tip-in adjustment, but never (that I could find) explains the minor height adjustment. I guess it could be the minor height adjusting screw.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John, are you sure? From what I could see that "tip-in" adjustment screw (accessed from the bottom of the door) is near the access hole (on the bottom of the door). The adjustment screw in my photos are way up at the top of the door panel next to the clamping nut. You'd need 2' plus extension to even reach that screw from the bottom of the door....?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If screw #2 in the picture is the one described in the manual as being accessed from the bottom of the door, it is the tip-in adjustment, and not a height adjustment. The only height adjustment I saw in the manual is done by loosening the clamp screws. Oddly, the manual references a major height adjustment, a minor height adjustment, and a tip-in adjustment, but never (that I could find) explains the minor height adjustment. I guess it could be the minor height adjusting screw.
John,

I'm guessing the same thing, as the manual isn't very clear on the "minor height adjustment". And with Rob chiming in, it pretty much confirms our suspicions...

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Art

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
After seeing those photos, I studied the manual, looking for a reference to that adjuster, and couldn't find any drawings identifying it, just the text. It sure looks like the adjusted, and the locking bolt just keeps it from moving around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe so as well, but thus far I've only utilized the "clamping bolt" on the glass to adjust it. Rob confirmed that this is an adjustment screw, so it must be the "minor height adjustment" they refer to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Resurrecting this thread....

Ok, really hoping for some help here. I don't drive the Sky very much (hopefully more next season!). Anyway, I was moving cars around today and pulled the Sky out of the shed, and when I shut the door, once again I noticed the side glass hitting the convertible top again.... WTF!!! I really thought it was finally fixed, I've already adjusted the glass down twice so far... what is going on? Any suggestions....?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I always put the windows down OR open the doors to raise or lower the top. I don't mind.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the Sky out for the first time this year, went to a show in St. Ignace. So once again, I took the door panel off and adjusted the window down. This time I even pushed the glass forward a bit, thinking that might be the "fix" to this problem re-appearing. Well, before the weekend was over, my glass was once again creeped up and started hitting the convertible top again, very frustrating! I really can't figure this out.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never really gotten this resolved. Currently I "try" to remember to put the window down a tad before closing the door, and putting it back up once I'm in the car to stop the window leak sound. I was just wondering, what is actually in the door that acts as a "window stop" (or is there such a thing?)? Maybe all my adjusting of the glass is mute if there is a missing or broken window stop? Is there anything to that line of thought??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts