Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first rain of the season here, (not so much real rain as heavy mist) and the rain has perahps percollated the built up oil and gas in the asphault to the surface, but man! This thing wants to get sideways easy! Just a little gas and the back end steps out fast. Pretty fun, but watch out, it'll trade ends pretty quick! I have the LSD, and maybe that's a contributing factor. Anybody else who's had it in the rain experience this slip slidin' fun?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I did notice that the wet traction wasn't nearly as good as the dry. But I didn't find it difficult to control ... it still steps back in line easily enough with a little correction.

I think the tires may have a lot to do with it. I remember having similar experiences with my Z3 while I still had the Michelin Pilots that it came with. I thought those were supposed to be great tires so didn't think I could improve on them. But then I got a set of Toyo Proxes T1-S and found they had amazing grip, even on wet roads. I couldn't tell a difference on dry roads, but the wet-weather handling was like night and day. I got those same tires from then on and have never been happier with another tire and they were about half the price of the Pilots (lasted just as long also). Oh well, I think the T1-S is discontinued, but I think I may have to try another one of their products when I go to replace mine again.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
my gmc 2500 with the 6000 motor 300 hp was doing the same thing and I was not even putting the metal to the pedal may be its the cooler wheather affecting the asphalt

·
Registered
168 Posts
dave clancy said:
my gmc 2500 with the 6000 motor 300 hp was doing the same thing and I was not even putting the metal to the pedal may be its the cooler wheather affecting the asphalt
My first car, the rear engine '62 Corvair did the same thing. Man it handled like a go-kart! Still one of my most fun rides of 30 some vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah...I almost wrecked mine on Saturday night...I was chompin at the bit to take her out and right around 11PM I went out to see a perfectly clear sky, bright stars, even could see Mars...roads were wet but no standing water...so, I jumped in and took her for a spin...well spin it was...just up the street I decided to take a turn hard, and was all over the road...almost hit my neighbors car broadside...

The combination of wet pavement, oil on the roads, and too much tire gel had me like I was on ice.

Thankfully, I got hold of the car and immediately went home.

I definitely did not want to be the first to say on this forum that I wrecked my Sol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
Yeah...I almost wrecked mine on Saturday night...I was chompin at the bit to take her out and right around 11PM I went out to see a perfectly clear sky, bright stars, even could see Mars...roads were wet but no standing water...so, I jumped in and took her for a spin...well spin it was...just up the street I decided to take a turn hard, and was all over the road...almost hit my neighbors car broadside...

The combination of wet pavement, oil on the roads, and too much tire gel had me like I was on ice.

Thankfully, I got hold of the car and immediately went home.

I definitely did not want to be the first to say on this forum that I wrecked my Sol.

I see you have the chrome wheels. Are they worth the price vs the polished aluminum do you feel?

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
From my experience with the Fiero, that 50/50 weight distribution will cause problems at the limit ---- BE AWARE! :)

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
flaj said:
From my experience with the Fiero, that 50/50 weight distribution will cause problems at the limit ---- BE AWARE! :)

:agree: :agree:
It is great (50/50) until you hit the limit, there is no warning.

·
Registered
278 Posts
once you get to know the car better you will learn to predict what the car will do. i can feel what my Fiero is going to do at the limit and how to correct it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
AeroDave said:
We got our first rain of the season here, (not so much real rain as heavy mist) and the rain has perahps percollated the built up oil and gas in the asphault to the surface, but man! This thing wants to get sideways easy! Just a little gas and the back end steps out fast. Pretty fun, but watch out, it'll trade ends pretty quick! I have the LSD, and maybe that's a contributing factor. Anybody else who's had it in the rain experience this slip slidin' fun?
The tires that GM put on the soltice are the Goodyear RS-A's correct? the wet traction sucks for that tire....here is a survey (Also the snow traction :leaving: ). Once you get a tire that rates better in the rain you will see a diffrence.

·
4,592 Posts
SlySol said:
I did notice that the wet traction wasn't nearly as good as the dry. But I didn't find it difficult to control ... it still steps back in line easily enough with a little correction.

I think the tires may have a lot to do with it. I remember having similar experiences with my Z3 while I still had the Michelin Pilots that it came with. I thought those were supposed to be great tires so didn't think I could improve on them. But then I got a set of Toyo Proxes T1-S and found they had amazing grip, even on wet roads. I couldn't tell a difference on dry roads, but the wet-weather handling was like night and day. I got those same tires from then on and have never been happier with another tire and they were about half the price of the Pilots (lasted just as long also). Oh well, I think the T1-S is discontinued, but I think I may have to try another one of their products when I go to replace mine again.
The Toyo Proxes are the stock tire on the MSM (I believe its the R28), very god grip, and very good in the rain!

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Brigestone Potenza RE050 and the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position both seem to get good reviews. However both of those tires are summer tires whereas the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires are an all-season tire. If you need a winter tire then the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 tires have received good reviews.

For the record I have never driven any of the above tires and no, I don't work for Bridgestone. I'm just going by what the reviews say :)

Edit: I don't know if any of you have considered getting runflats since the Solstice has no spare, but the Potenza RE050 can be purchased as a runflat tire.

·
5,600 Posts
AeroDave said:
Anybody else who's had it in the rain experience this slip slidin' fun?
Dave, throttle on oversteer is always fun. I think that is one of the criticisms of the Solstice, with its relatively huge tires for the power. Have fun in the wet, as I don't think you'll be able to break the rears loose on dry pavement, unless you are moving very fast. But then, I could be wrong.

Now you know one of the reasons the Mustang GT and the GTO are so addicting. Big torque can kick that tail out anytime.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Those of you moving from only a FWD experience to RWD need to take care until you get a real feel for the car. Most of the snap-oversteer stories that you hear about (wet or dry) are mainly due a driver's inexperience with RWD.

Crappy tires don't help either ;) .

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the rear-end kick out on my MR2 last week on a hard left wet corner. Nothing dangerous on a rural road, but a brief thrill. Completing the turn by getting back hard on the throttle with high low end torque will do that to you.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Great ratings, except for snow. My next tires!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3
The Tire Rack has a nice comparison between the Goodyear Eagle RS-A, Bridgestone Potenza RE050, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Any of the tires handily beat the RS-As with the Eagle F1 GS-D3 and the Pilot Sports taking the top ranks. The graph results are fairly intersting too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts