Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I read reviews on the Solstice they are panned for a) the roof being so difficult to put up and down and b) for being underpowered.

I have a 2006 NA Solstice with a 5 speed manual. It isn't super powerful, and I really don't care. Or at least I thought it was underpowered, until yesterday. I was overtaking a poky Ford F150 Super Dirty and got on it out of first into second. There was a little bit of dampness on the pavement, but not much. To my great surprise, the back end tried to come around on me as I hit second. Not sure of the RPM because I was holding on for dear life, but it was probably in the 6K range when I shifted up. Holy cow! (Made me grin)

As for the roof, I would be happy to do a rainstorm race with most people with a power roof. I can get mine up or down in about half a minute or so.

Love my little guy.
Tire Car Jeans Plant Wheel

·
Registered
674 Posts
I once encountered some HOGS (harleys) trying to pass me on the right shoulder of a two lane road - I was doing about 50, downshifted and floored it thru gears and left them in the dust - made me feel good

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
Whenever I read reviews on the Solstice they are panned for a) the roof being so difficult to put up and down and b) for being underpowered.

I have a 2006 NA Solstice with a 5 speed manual. It isn't super powerful, and I really don't care. Or at least I thought it was underpowered, until yesterday. I was overtaking a poky Ford F150 Super Dirty and got on it out of first into second. There was a little bit of dampness on the pavement, but not much. To my great surprise, the back end tried to come around on me as I hit second. Not sure of the RPM because I was holding on for dear life, but it was probably in the 6K range when I shifted up. Holy cow! (Made me grin)

As for the roof, I would be happy to do a rainstorm race with most people with a power roof. I can get mine up or down in about half a minute or so.

Love my little guy.
I basically agree with you on all of your points.

What tires are on the car and how old are they?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires have about 9,000 miles on them. Not a brand name, so they could be a bit hard, but I've never had a grip problem with them before.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I once encountered some HOGS (harleys) trying to pass me on the right shoulder of a two lane road - I was doing about 50, downshifted and floored it thru gears and left them in the dust - made me feel good
I'm not recommending reckless driving, and I will probably respect the power of it a bit more in the future, but it is nice to know it will go when you need it to.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,194 Posts
little bit of wetness can make a lot of differance.as can tires and road make up. I've had mine sideways too on perfectly dry road, shifting around 7000 snatching 2nd.the weight of the flywheel is whats doing the work not the motors"awesome power" but the car is still fun to drive weather low powered or not. I am used to high horse power cars so to me this is a slug. My old 71 air cooled vw bug was much much much quicker.it was also over 1000 pounds lighter with about the same hp engine...possiably more. Im gladd your happy with yours,Im happy with mine too.

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
The tires have about 9,000 miles on them. Not a brand name, so they could be a bit hard, but I've never had a grip problem with them before.
Age can be more of an influence on grip than mileage, so that is something to watch also.

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
Leaving Harleys in your dust is not really that hard. I think you can do it with a peddle bike
I detect a slight bias here. And maybe a bit of exaggeration.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I detect a slight bias here. And maybe a bit of exaggeration.
Yea your right but for 30 years I have Harley riders ask what ”Jap” company makes that ducati. Then tell me how fast their bike is. My reply to them usually goes like this… what model of Massey Davidson/Harley Fergunson do you have.

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
Yea your right but for 30 years I have Harley riders ask what ”Jap” company makes that ducati. Then tell me how fast their bike is. My reply to them usually goes like this… what model of Massey Davidson/Harley Fergunson do you have.
I am going to bet that they were no more impressed with its Italian heritage than they were when they thought it was Japanese.

• Haha
Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As they say, at least 70% of Harleys are still on the road - the rest made it home!

When I race Solo II autocross, I have to be careful with throttle coming out of a hard corner, as I usually run the whole race in 2nd, and it WILL come around on you if you throttle up too soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As they say, at least 70% of Harleys are still on the road - the rest made it home!

When I race Solo II autocross, I have to be careful with throttle coming out of a hard corner, as I usually run the whole race in 2nd, and it WILL come around on you if you throttle up too soon.
Interesting. I was changing lanes as I came by farmer John. Thanks for the tip. I'll watch that from now on.

·
Registered
2006 NA Deep 99.9% Stock
138 Posts
1.) Whenever I wish I had a GXP (instead of my 2006 NA) I remind myself of two things:

a. It's about the handling and the pure joy of open-top motoring, and,
b. The only thing horsepower has ever done for me is gotten me into trouble. :(

2.) Difficult top??? What?? It couldn't possibly be any easier (that assumes, of course, that everything lines up and you have no buttress release issues). :)

·
Registered
2006 NA Deep 99.9% Stock
138 Posts
By the way, and I'm sure the more knoweldgeable folks can back me up (or correct me on this): BHP has to considered together with weight, for a combined PWR (power-to-weight ratio). Given the relatively low curb weight, the PWR, even of an NA, is not too shabby.

AND, I have read that the GXP, given the rather significant increase in BHP and basically the same curb weight, had the highest specific output per liter of any GM production car up to that time (don't know if it has since been surpassed).

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Hmm - slick road, Brand X tires of unknown age, heavy right foot....spinning tires seems inevitable rather than any indication of a waiting place in the speed hall of fame. Might want to take a look at those tires for possible replacement.

But yes an NA can certainly generate enough power to spin wheels on a wet road..

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah. Doesn't take much to upset a car's dynamics with the above parameters. You can spin wheels and hoon around in a Geo Metro with shitty tires and damp roads.

I think the 2.4l is only "underpowered" compared to the GXP/RL. It holds its own with the Miata NC of that era in straight line performance.

Re: Harleys, I don't understand the need for excessive noise. The sport bikes and cafe racers aren't as obnoxious at idle or cruise.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,194 Posts
I disagree, the 2.4 is indeed under powered. as for the Harleys.....they probably get an extra 60 hp from removing the mufflers.and they sound like well ...ahh...hmm....sick!!! thats it, sick!!! (harley owners can take that how ever they want to make them feal better......it's a multi purpose/functional/descriptive answer. not trying to step on any toes. I have a buddy that tryes to get me to take his out as well as my brother..of coarse my brother's is chopper style springer hot rod and I would love to but...it aint mine.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think part of the tendency to step out is the really short wheel base. It sure makes it hard not to smile through the slaloms, though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts