Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I think part of the tendency to step out is the really short wheel base. It sure makes it hard not to smile through the slaloms, though.
That isn't a very short wheelbase (95") That's right in line with Z4, 911 etc. Now a Sprite is short! (80"), as was my TVR - 81"

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
That isn't a very short wheelbase (95") That's right in line with Z4, 911 etc. Now a Sprite is short! (80"), as was my TVR - 81"
It isn't the wheelbase by itself, it is the ratio of wheelbase to track.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It isn't the wheelbase by itself, it is the ratio of wheelbase to track.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. It makes it harder to back a trailer, too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why do so many people say the 2.4 is underpowered? As mentioned earlier, it has a fairly decent power to weight ratio. 0-60 in 7 seconds ain't too shabby. It won't often win in the stop-light gran prix but that isn't what this car is all about, that's what the GXP is for. The base solstice is about cruising and lookin' good while doing it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Why do so many people say the 2.4 is underpowered? ...
The same reason they complain that the Toyobaru twins and Miata are underpowered. They are.

This doesn't make them a bad car, but think about it this way - Back in the day the 2.4L was the "mid-grade" engine option on the Chevy Cobalt. That Cobalt weighed a few hundred pounds less than the kappas, and I don't think anybody ever referred to one as quick.

Couple that with the early reviews that were performed with the mis-matched 3rd gear and not only was highway passing power was severely lacking, but it wasn't even that much fun to ring it out through the gears considering 3rd topped out at an unachievable 110mph.

In a more contemporary setting, most minivans and small SUVs now run 0-60 in the sevens, and the lowly Miata puts it away under 6 these days.
_
Edited to fix my bad math.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You're right, I was thinking GXP weight in my head.

Still, the Cobalts were lighter, and the 2.4's 17lbs/HP is underpowered no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
But I don’t think Colbalts have a 3.91 final drive ratio either

·
Registered
586 Posts
Or the same transmission!

And I bet the tires were different diameters too!

Lol.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,194 Posts
so how much hp does the honda s2000 have with it's smaller engine....unturbocharged....

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
so how much hp does the honda s2000 have with it's smaller engine....unturbocharged....
240, more or less, at 8,300 RPM for the 2 liter or 7,800 RPM for the 2.2 liter. Neither engine had as much torque as the Solstice's 2.4 liter though.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I think the AP2 has a wee bit more torque than AP1... at lower revs too.
Indeed, and a 1000 rpm lower redline.

Many people drive these cars (see, I didn't say secretaries - that would be sexist!) without ever realizing that there is life above 6,000 rpm. In fact life STARTS at 6,000 rpm with these engines.

And yes, I have driven both versions and the AP2 is more comfortable less peaky and both are pretty similarly fast, with fundamentally good handling, and a bit less weight than a Kappa.

They have com a long way from the first sport car, the S800 that had 70 bhp from 791 cc and would run to 10,000 rpm. Lovely sounding cars but slow and defined 'peaky' - I won a case of beer off the driver of one running at a hill climb against my (at that point fairly mildly tuned) MGA, and I had spotted him 10 seconds. In other words, not all that much to 'torque' about....

Nice looking engine though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Age can be more of an influence on grip than mileage, so that is something to watch also.
I just bought my second Solstice [GXP]. My wife wrote the first one off, after 29 days of ownership. Turns out the tyres were brittle and over 10 years old and it spun out of control on a bone dry road. I asked dealer #2 to take photos of the DOT dates on all 4 tyres to confirm they were all under 5 years old to avoid repeating that expensive mistake!

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
328 Posts
I just bought my second Solstice [GXP]. My wife wrote the first one off, after 29 days of ownership. Turns out the tyres were brittle and over 10 years old and it spun out of control on a bone dry road. I asked dealer #2 to take photos of the DOT dates on all 4 tyres to confirm they were all under 5 years old to avoid repeating that expensive mistake!
I adopted my GXP coupe in Texas from the original owner with its showroom shoes still on. No way was I going to spend two days at freeway speeds on 12-year-old tires/tyres. As soon as I took possession I went straight to get new ones before driving the 1200 mi. home to Pennsylvania. Your wife’s story is why.

Sorry about the first one, old chum, but: Enjoy your 2nd!

·
Premium Member
17,248 Posts
Interesting topic.

A few thoughts offered in the kindest and karingest way

1) the guy came on to express his joy at what he considered to be a fun and exhilerating event and the response he got wasnt, "good for you guy, glad you enjoy your car", no it was "you did not really have that exhilerating experience as you thought, it was water not the car" and "you did not have that fun time, it was old cheap tires,, not the car" How about just letting him enjoy his experience? I mean really LOLOOLOOL You guys are a tough audience! I can spin the tyres at will, wet,or dry. And its not cause of the tires. And its sometimes fun and sometimes just scary. But I can tell you guys, based on this response I am not going to share those times here and get told its not the experience I thought I was having. LOL
2) I really like it when Phil and Bill start sharing their perspective. Especially with the fun stories about old British cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So here is what I am gleaning from this so far. The tires that the dealer put on my car are not great. I looked them up and the review said, "great in the dry, awful when wet". So I will probably replace them next season with something better. However, we've had our Solstice for just about a year and are on pace to put 10,000 miles on it. We have loved touring in it and I do not plan to do any track racing in it.

I looked at the thread on the Firestone Firehawk and found a mix of opinions. Some called it trash because it only went 12 to 30K. Others said that that was about one should expect from a good performance tire. I would like to find something that approaches the middle. We plan to continue to tour with the car (Route 66 next year as far as the Grand Canyon) so I don't want to have to replace tires twice in a year, but at the same time, I don't want the car coming unglued from the road if we run into wet weather.

Realizing I will be compromising between performance and longevity, what are the best choices for an all round tires in your opinion?

·
Registered
586 Posts
... I can spin the tyres at will, wet,or dry. And its not cause of the tires. And its sometimes fun and sometimes just scary. ...
My first thought on this thread was about the clapped S-10 ZR2 I drove in college and how on a cold morning (if it started, of course) it might have been making 115hp at the crank, but if I drove like enough of a clown could spin the rears in third.

... The tires that the dealer put on my car are not great. I looked them up and the review said, "great in the dry, awful when wet". ...
Which Goodyears did they install? :ROFLMAO:

Kidding - I know you said earlier they aren't brand name.

For your purposes it sounds like the Firehawks are probably more aggressive than you desire. If you aren't planning see snow and ice, I'd probably look into high-performance all seasons.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts