Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rented a Pontiac Grand Prix not too long ago and the rear view mirror was right in my forward/right view. Very discomforting. Has anyone ever heard of a removable rear view mirror, or a mount/dismount kit to retrofit your existing mirror. I would like to be able to pull the rear view mirror from the Solstice's windshield for maximum front visibility while allowing me to pop it back on at a stop light or freeway off-ramp if traffic got too congested. I think pulling the rear view mirror would assist my modest attack on tight curves and switchbacks.

Has anybody ever heard of such a thing as a quick mount kit for rear view mirrors? Or do I have to design something myself?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You can always buy your own mirror that fits the size you want and get a rear view mirror glue kit and put it in place of the old one. I believe you can get solvents too to disolve the glue that's there already. Just be aware though if you get OnStar the controls are in the rear view mirror, so you can only move it as far as the wire will permit.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Along those lines, I've removed the mirror from the windshield, carefully pried the metal plug off the glass and tried glueing it to the windshield surrond. Didn't hold past the first bump. Had to drill a hole in the plug and bevel it to accept a flathead screw. Then slid the mirror post over the plug and swiveled it 180 degrees. So this might not work for a car with a wire to the mirror for interior lights or driver information.

But on most rental cars I've driven, I've found that, because there's usually a ball swivel at both the mirror and the windshield, there's the possiblity to move the mirror vertically over a range of roughly 2 1/2". If it's still in the way, I just pretend I'm driving someones car with all kinds of stuff hanging off the mirror and learn to look around the fuzzy dice and Mardi Gras beads. Think of it as adapting to the different available visual information as when driving top up or top down. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts