Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Simple Ebony Interior Question

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Crimson Avenger 
#1 ·
I have a question regarding the Ebony interior. Since Pontiac has not seemed to find the ebony interior worthy of an official photograph, (or the green, red, blue or white cars either) I am relying on the photos that were taken by members at the Detroit show. In the pictures it would seem that the Ebony has a two tone effect as well. It kind of looks like black with a grey. Is this true, or is it just a trick of light? If this is true, it might make me feel better about being stuck with Ebony in my green car and not have to switch to white. I really don't want a monotone interior.

Any help from those that saw this car would be appreciated.

#6 ·
limited option

Some of the tinted screen pics in the brochures made it difficult to tell what the colors are going to look like. The two tone looks Navy and Camel on some and grey and sand on others... I was told that the ebony looks like the showroom samples. I like two-tone also, didn't want the extra heat on the seat in the summer, but I ended up with ebony.

#9 ·
Solstice designer Vicki Vlachakis said:

How do colors come into play?

The interior color scheme is an evolution of the concept car. I devised it based on fashion forecasting and current trends. Solstice has a very muted tone-on-tone scheme, where it’s more like cool grays and warm grays instead of your typical black. It’s not a lot of high contrast; there’s a richer, much more muted appeal. For inspiration, I naturally look to fashion, architecture and product design rather than other cars. If you look to other design disciplines, then you might bring something innovative to the mix.
That makes me believe that the charcoal interior is not all the same color.

#10 ·
Included in an email from Pontiac... re: interior

"Thank you for contacting Pontiac and for your interest in the 2006
Pontiac Solstice! The steel/sand leather seats in the Solstice are of
a much lighter hue than the Dark Blue Metallic paint in order to
avoid a clashing effect. Your preferred Pontiac dealership is your
best source of information regarding the appearance of exterior and
interior colors on the Solstice. "

Sincerely,

John Borst
Customer Relationship Manager
Pontiac

My dealer hasn't a hue... I mean a clue :)

#12 ·
Billabongi said:
I still wish they had a better color combo then that tan. Arent we past tan interiors by now? I want that black/red interior from the sky BAD! I wouldnt mind a black/grey combo either
I think a black/grey color combo would be awesome.

#14 ·
i assumed that the ebony interior was what we saw in the Philadelphia show. there are pics in the gallery...clik the link under my moniker..., although my pics may translated the interior a bit lighter than the real thing. much of the apparent variation in color is due to the different textures of materials used for the cockpit- in real life it all comes together nicely. i liked it enough to order it on my solstice.

#15 · (Edited)
Billabongi said:
I still wish they had a better color combo then that tan. Arent we past tan interiors by now? I want that black/red interior from the sky BAD! I wouldnt mind a black/grey combo either
I completely agree ... I like the idea of the two-toned interior, but I'm too concerned about the light "sand" color to go for it. Those light colors just seem to start looking dirty after a few years, no matter how clean you try to keep it. At least it gets that way if it's your daily driver. So I'm going with the black because it looks good a lot longer in my experience. (I also don't care for that tan color in general.) Anyway, I actually posted the same thing in another thread before I saw this one. 2qwk4u had posted a pic of his model and it got me thinking, so I played with it in Photoshop. Here's one of the results that I think would look pretty good ... maybe even better on the Cool or Mysterious cars.

Edit ... Oops ... I forgot to attach the pic the first time around

Attachments

#16 ·
SlySol said:
I completely agree ... I like the idea of the two-toned interior, but I'm too concerned about the light "sand" color to go for it. Those light colors just seem to start looking dirty after a few years, no matter how clean you try to keep it. At least it gets that way if it's your daily driver. So I'm going with the black because it looks good a lot longer in my experience. (I also don't care for that tan color in general.) Anyway, I actually posted the same thing in another thread before I saw this one. 2qwk4u had posted a pic of his model and it got me thinking, so I played with it in Photoshop. Here's one of the results that I think would look pretty good ... maybe even better on the Cool or Mysterious cars.
:cool: I've got the 2-tone black and tan in my black RX-8. It looks great and classy. Mazda had a black and red option as well. It looked good as well, just too aggressive for me. An article I read said it best when he describe it as looking "hot pepper, hot." I'm going with mysterious and two tone on my sol. However, I'm worried that the steel, not the tan may be too light.
Try agian to post your photoshop pic.

#18 ·
hyzer said:
I was hoping that the ebony was a two tone also, but it looks like just a trick of the light as you say.

The Philly show car had the ebony interior and it looks monotone.
Boy I sure hope that this is not Ebony. Ebony is black. This interior in the Philly car looks like grey to me. According to the Pontiac Dealer slick, the top is Ebony and all the pictures I have seen it looks like a deep black.

#19 ·
gmviso said:
Boy I sure hope that this is not Ebony. Ebony is black. This interior in the Philly car looks like grey to me. According to the Pontiac Dealer slick, the top is Ebony and all the pictures I have seen it looks like a deep black.
I'd peg the Ebony as a charcoal grey. Top is pure black.

#20 ·
I think every one that is looking for DEEP BLACK for the interior better read the interview with the interior designer of the Sol.
She enfatically mentions NO BLACK interior like other roadsters and convertibles, I am with MCEB on this one, that it is more of charcoal grey, that is because as she puts it, a more subtle look, or as you look at the car the colors flow.
This is the reason I believe there is no steel/sand for the Red/Green because of the, no such flow of colors, specially after you add the Deep Black top.
This is the reason I think GM needs to publish the ACTUAL colors or there maybe a lot of disapointed owners, once the car is delivered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.