Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I love this forum, first time poster...

I preordered my solstice last week, aggressive color, convienence and power packages, etc.

Anywho, I was curious -- I am going to take out the default stereo (leave monsoon speakers in) and replace it with my Sirius Satellite Radio system. From the pictures it appears that the default stereo is a standard size (unlike my grand-ams which the default stereo is curvy).

Do you all this think this would be easy to do?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Don't know how easy it will be but I'm a thinking of Sirius after they come out with the handheld like XM has.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Do you already have the Sirius system? I'd probably be more inclined just to get a portable Sirius and a car kit to keep the stock head unit. However, there should be kits to replace the stock HU with aftermarket. It shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I end up with the Solstice, I plan on keeping the head unit and just get another portable receiver unit. My wife-to-be hogs the one I've got in her car. Since the factory unit includes a 1/8" stereo input, I will use that with something like a Sportster receiver sitting in the cupholder or the center console. I don't plan on mounting the docking station, so I will just get one of the home units and keep it in the glove box when not in use.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't think a Sirius receiver will work with the Solstice. You would have to remove the entire radio and put in your own. Something about the connections, formats, etc. XM and GM are partnered together. Sirius and Ford have a partnership. Again, I think you have to rip out the radio and replace it with a "Sirius ready" radio and a Sirius receiver.

I have the original Sirius P2P and use it solely in my SUV. I don't like the fact it's not built into the dash. I thought about using it for the Solstice, but didn't want to deal with the antenna, extra equipment in the cock pit, etc. So, I'm ordering the XM with the car.

By the way, for you folks who never had the opportunity to listen to satellite. You'll never go back to am/fm.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
todd_raleigh said:
I don't think a Sirius receiver will work with the Solstice. You would have to remove the entire radio and put in your own. Something about the connections, formats, etc. XM and GM are partnered together. Sirius and Ford have a partnership. Again, I think you have to rip out the radio and replace it with a "Sirius ready" radio and a Sirius receiver.

I have the original Sirius P2P and use it solely in my SUV. I don't like the fact it's not built into the dash. I thought about using it for the Solstice, but didn't want to deal with the antenna, extra equipment in the cock pit, etc. So, I'm ordering the XM with the car.

By the way, for you folks who never had the opportunity to listen to satellite. You'll never go back to am/fm.
Totally right, satellite radio is awesome. I was planning to remove the radio, the pontiac dealership said they would give me credit if I return the stock radio within two weeks of delivery. I would replace the radio with a sirius stereo and keep the monsoon speakers. I do have the sirius sportster radio, but it would look strange having that on the dash.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
mrfantastic said:
Totally right, satellite radio is awesome. I was planning to remove the radio, the pontiac dealership said they would give me credit if I return the stock radio within two weeks of delivery. I would replace the radio with a sirius stereo and keep the monsoon speakers. I do have the sirius sportster radio, but it would look strange having that on the dash.

Hey Onalaska! I think you the first person, other than me, that I have seen from Wisconsin on this forum! I have Sirius on my home system (via Dish) and love it. Agree with the others that a portable unit would be more effective.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
When the heck is Sirius coming out with their handheld? XM has had theirs out since December.

·
Registered
80 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Hopefully the auxiliary input jack will make it possible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have a friend with a mustang and he has the mach speaker system in his mustang. he's told me with that special upgraded system, it's supposed to be impossible to change out the head unit without taking out the speakers themselves and everything else. he would totally ahve to redo the whole system. i know that's ford, but does anyone here know enough about what i'm talking about to clarify on what i've heard and know if the monsoon system would be the same way?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Moobs said:
sorry. i thought their JVC unit was completely portable. i was wrong.
It is coming, I heard sometime in 2005.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PAS22 said:
Hey Onalaska! I think you the first person, other than me, that I have seen from Wisconsin on this forum! I have Sirius on my home system (via Dish) and love it. Agree with the others that a portable unit would be more effective.
What part of Wisconsin are you from?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts