Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece is in her high school homecoming parade. She wants to ride in my Sol, sitting on the edge of the back deck with her feet in the car.
Is the deck strong enough to handle this.? She is fairly petite. She weighs 115-120.
Any of you have experience with this?

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
While I personally would not recommend this as a normal practice, there have been many pictures of young ladies perched on the tulip panel between the seats with no evidence of lasting problems with the car. Just keep her off the deck lid if you can :)

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
In the past people have posted of denting the humps by using them to close the decklid, that indicates to me that the tensile strength of the deck lid metal isn't very high. Possible because the deck lid was formed by using the water hydroforming method, and not the old school method of using traditional steel dies to stamp the metal.

At the very least I'd use a combo of a rubber backed bathroom mat (to prevent sliding) overlaid by a stadium blanket. Also don't let her step on the center console because they have been know to crack too. In fact covering that with a thick pad would be a good idea too to help her get situated on the decklid. I'd also tell her to keep at least one hand on one of the seat backs at all times to help maintain her balance.

Finally, happy parading!
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
993 Posts
It depends on the the value of the relationship. What if something got damaged? Is it worth the aggravation and potentially long lasting relational strains?
I'd leave these sort of things to rental mustang convertibles where there are dime a dozen and parts galore.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,186 Posts
NOOOOO well. make sure she is not wearing jeans. Jeans have the back pockets and the corners of the back pockets can have those rivets in them. the rivets WILL dent the deck lid.

Me personally I would take 2 pieces of the purple 3" thick rigid foam insulation and double side tape them together. Then using a rasp I would carve out where the humps are trying to have as much contact from the deck lid to the foam as possible. This will give a flat area for 1 or more people to sit. It will also spread the load out across the entire deck lid instead of having small points having a lot of weight on them. I would take a soft blanket and fold one edge of it over by 2" and put gromets in it. have the blanket hang over the edge into the interior of the car and using the gromets and some rope tie the blanket off to the seat rails. Place the foam onto the blanket that is on the deck lid. The blanket will not slide off because it is tied and you will not get any scratches in the paint from the roam. Make sure that area is cleaned really well.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
Since … opinions..
I wouldnt let anyone sit anywhere on the car.
Parts are just too scarce. I like the idea of the rental mentioned above.
That being said, your car your call.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If it was me I'd rent a convertible and get the optional insurance. If anything gets damaged you just take the car back and hand them the keys. You'll be going slow enough that as long as she can have one hand to help balance herself she should be fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts