Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been revamping and cleaning out the baby room er... I mean garage...

I have a very small garage (built in 1926.) with a garage door opening of 88 inches. I believe I read the Solstice is 77 inches wide. Does anyone know if this measurement mirror to mirror?

Also anyone one with similar situations now? Any tips on threading the needle consistantly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
photog321 said:
Okay, I've been revamping and cleaning out the baby room er... I mean garage...

I have a very small garage (built in 1926.) with a garage door opening of 88 inches. I believe I read the Solstice is 77 inches wide. Does anyone know if this measurement mirror to mirror?

Also anyone one with similar situations now? Any tips on threading the needle consistantly?Thanks!
You should be OK, most of those older doors were 8 ft. wide less a few inches on each side for a seal...your opening should be about 91", but at 88"...It will be tight but with a little practice...you'll be fine... :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
A few words of advise. If you have had a few beers too many that tight squeese will become a busted mirror or worse a scrapped fender. So, the moral is, drive sobber or leave the Solstice outside! :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
According to posted specs from the Solstice forum technical FAQs, the Solstice is 1819mm, or 71.6 inches wide. The posted specs for the width of my 1999 Grand Prix is 1847mm, or 72.7 inches. I don't know if this is with or without mirrors. But so long as the specs are give the same way for both, we should be able to make a comparison. So that would make my GP about 1 inch wider than the Solstice.

Now my GP is a tight fit, but I've found that so long as I have the car lined up straight on with the garage and I take it slow, I don't have any trouble pulling in and backing out. I usually keep the car lined up to the right of center, so that I have some extra clearance to open the driver's door, as my garage isn't very wide on the inside either. This of course means that I will probably have to put the top up out in the driveway, before I pull into the garage. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm in a similar situation...had the tape measure out before placing my order. Pretty tight fit with my current fleet as well. It's kinda crazy at first, but you get used to it with a little practice. I just make an effort to keep my garage clean and obstacle free. I prefer to back my vehicles in...just in case I need to make a fast getaway. :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Okay, you got me thinking, so I went out and did some measurements. My Grand Prix is 80 inches wide, including the mirrors. The garage door opening is 94 inches, or 92 if I don't want to hit the weather stripping. This basically gives me about 12 inches of clearance for the Grand Prix.

If 77 inches is the Solstice width including mirrors, and your garage door opening is 88 inches, you'll have 11 inches of clearance. So that should reassure you that it can be done.

One other bit of advice, when backing out of the garage, keep it straight until you clear the mirrors, then you should have enough room to cut the wheel to angle the car to one side or another, just in case you need to angle out onto the road.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Know this sounds silly but it worked. Had a similar problem with Big Buford ('73 Boat tailed Riviera) and the work bench. Liquid Nailed two long 1"x2" to the floor, not parallel, but getting closer together the further in the garage you went. You can feel the car when it first starts to climb on to the "rails". Painted them black so I'd quit tripping over them and to hide how many times I've scrubbed them. Also put a 2"x4" at the end to tell me when to stop. There's nothing like backing into the garage with your eyes closed! :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another suggestion as to how far into the garage to go.....might be to hang an old tennis ball on a string and when the front grill or windshield hits it....you're in far enough. Not sure if that same could apply when judging right and left sides of the car. Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
dlent said:
Another suggestion as to how far into the garage to go.....might be to hang an old tennis ball on a string and when the front grill or windshield hits it....you're in far enough. Not sure if that same could apply when judging right and left sides of the car. Just a thought!
And if you hang up two of them so that when they are in line you are on the right track you can get your alignment and depth correct in one operation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good Ideas

I'd been thinking about the "rail system" to guide me in, think car wash....

The two tennis ball idea I like...hadn't thought about that. Would work as long as Iwasn't seeing double that day!

·
Registered
381 Posts
photog321 said:
I'd been thinking about the "rail system" to guide me in, think car wash....

The two tennis ball idea I like...hadn't thought about that. Would work as long as Iwasn't seeing double that day!
Or 1 tennis ball, and a mark on the back wall to line it up with. (You need to save 2 of the 3 tennis balls for the whip antenna.)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Or 1 tennis ball, and a mark on the back wall to line it up with. (You need to save 2 of the 3 tennis balls for the whip antenna.)
I use a mark on the side wall to determine how far I have to pull into the garage. It was kind of a fortuitous accident, since the mark is just some random smudge on the wall, and wasn't placed on purpose. But I've found that if I pull the car in so that I as the driver am lined up next to the smudge mark, I am in far enough that the garage door will close with sufficient clearance. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I think you are not asking the right question. I also have a small garage but can't park in it. My wife's Alero is bigger than my Miata but Mamma rules the garage. Does your wife say it's okay to park in her garage? :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts