Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How dissimilar are the two cars? Is it just badging and bodywork?

I have a 2008 Redline.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Sky interior is nicer than the Solstice.:devil:

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
And one was designed to appeal to women.
Yep. I have found that my Sky definitely appeals to women. I have been approached several times, and been given a couple of phone numbers by women who were initially attracted by the car. I can't take advantage of it now, of course, but for a while I could.

Reactions: Rusty Boltz

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Some like sky's and others the solstice design. The interiors are different and I personally like the solstice interior better. But to each their own! I do like the outside temp that is on the sky.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The Sky and Solstice are built on the same chassis. A very high percentage of the parts are interchangeable between all years for both cars. The body panels and the underlying body support mechanisms are unique between the Sky and the Solstice.

The interior panels are interchangeable. The dashboard structure is part of the chassis and shared. The dashboard support and the dashboard panels are not interchangeable, though you can install a Sol dash in a Sky and vice versa. The door panels share attachment points and while they are not identical, either will fit in either car. The electrical connections for the Sky and Sol are slightly different and I have read that when swapping door panels some minor work is necessary on the cabling.
The forward console is different for each car as that interfaces with the different dash board. The center console is identical in both cars as are all the other black plastic panels.

The cup holders are common. The door sills are identical in form, fit and function but have car unique trim pieces. The waterfall has the car logo mount molded into the plastic which makes them unique, however they are interchangeable as well.

The structure under the tulip panel is identical but due to the different shape of the trunk humps (The Sky has a sharper peak.) the covers are not interchangeable.

If you need repair parts for either a Solstice or a Sky, if its not a unique body part, its generally easier and cheaper to order the Pontiac part over the Saturn part. They have unique part numbers issued by each of the companies and the Saturn production run being smaller resulted in the number of parts being smaller and generally higher prices for them.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The Sky and Solstice are built on the same chassis. A very high percentage of the parts are interchangeable between all years for both cars. The body panels and the underlying body support mechanisms are unique between the Sky and the Solstice.

The interior panels are interchangeable. The dashboard structure is part of the chassis and shared. The dashboard support and the dashboard panels are not interchangeable, though you can install a Sol dash in a Sky and vice versa. The door panels share attachment points and while they are not identical, either will fit in either car. The electrical connections for the Sky and Sol are slightly different and I have read that when swapping door panels some minor work is necessary on the cabling.
The forward console is different for each car as that interfaces with the different dash board. The center console is identical in both cars as are all the other black plastic panels.

The cup holders are common. The door sills are identical in form, fit and function but have car unique trim pieces. The waterfall has the car logo mount molded into the plastic which makes them unique, however they are interchangeable as well.

The structure under the tulip panel is identical but due to the different shape of the trunk humps (The Sky has a sharper peak.) the covers are not interchangeable.

If you need repair parts for either a Solstice or a Sky, if its not a unique body part, its generally easier and cheaper to order the Pontiac part over the Saturn part. They have unique part numbers issued by each of the companies and the Saturn production run being smaller resulted in the number of parts being smaller and generally higher prices for them.
Good to know. Thanks, Rob. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Their are Way_More Solstices them Sky's, Your more likely to see more Solstices then a Sky on the road...
The Sky body work has of a more modern look design as the Solstice falls back to the 50's-60s design...

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Their are Way_More Solstices them Sky's, Your more likely to see more Solstices then a Sky on the road...
The Sky body work has of a more modern look design as the Solstice falls back to the 50's-60s design...
From the production records, about 2 Solstices made to every one sky. But it also depends on the demographics of your neighborhood and how good the local dealers were.

I see many more Skys around my vicinity than I see Solstices. Who knows.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Two to One....

From the production records, about 2 Solstices made to every one sky. But it also depends on the demographics of your neighborhood and how good the local dealers were.
I see many more Skys around my vicinity that I see Solstices. Who knows.
We had a couple of very active local Saturn dealers. As a result in south Denver there are more Sky's then Sols.
:huh: Hmm OK, Same here in my part of Florida!
Then most of the Solstices were shipped to China for scrap, who knows....:leaving:

:jester:

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Back in the day my friend Scott used to be in the forum did a skystice. Some people might remember this and if you do a search on here you should find it.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have always felt the Solstice looked very similar to the late 50 early 60's Corvette. The sky a somewhat more refined later model Vette. I see the Solstice as bold, more aggressive, in your face design, the Sky, sleek, racy. Both have their strong points.

The wife fell in love with a Sly Solstice the first time she saw one. Wanted to buy it instantly, but they would not sell it, nor would they let her set in it. It belonged to the owner's wife and it was the first one in the dealership. Little did we know 10 years later we would have a Solstice, very similar in appearance, not so much in performance. Now 10 years later she likes the Sky much better. Could be the anger hanging on over the way she was treated way back then.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I chose the Sky for the wife because of the color. Basically the Sky is to me more "modern" design with highly defined visual queues. Scoops and vents are key features. The Sol is more "old school" taking its looks from sports cars of the 50 s and 60s. Once you give the Sol a proper power train .... LOLOLOLOL

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Back in the dark old days of 2005, I participated in the Apprentice lottery and got my order for a Solstice 1st 1000 processed. That sealed the deal on a Solstice. If I hadn't gotten the Solstice in that procedure, chances are that I would have ended up with an early Sky.

6 of one, half dozen of the other . . .

:dunno:

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
I saw a Solstice wearing manufacturer's plates in the summer of '06 and fell in love. I fell out of love when I found that the only way to get one was to pay a dealer an extra $5k for the "privilege" of ownership. I had seen pictures of the Sky and thought it had too much bling, but stopped at the Saturn dealer one day and found that it was much nicer looking in person than in the pictures I had seen. I also decided that I liked the interior of the Sky more than that of the Solstice, so when one was finally available, that's what I got. And now I have two.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I like them both. As evidenced by the fact that we have one of each.

My wife has deblinged her car. No exterior chrome remains. She is working on the interior. She loves the car. I just try to keep her going forward on the road. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
My wife's car is the no mod car, other than the wrap, and the hood which needed to be replace. She loves the chrome, none to be removed. Hers is a salvage title car, some things are not as nice as I would have liked, but learned a lot about wraps when it was done. Hers will eventually be painted the color it is now. I thought she would grow tired of the Kawi green, but she loves it. Will have it painted next summer and do all the minor scratches and body work the wrap shows. She is not concerned about it, just loves driving it. Had the driver side window adjusted yesterday, it had a 1/4 inch gap near the side mirror on the driver side. She would be soaked if we hit rain on the way back.

As to appearance, I like the look of the GXP better than the NA in the front end. The Skys look pretty much the same, except for the head lights. I like the blacked out head lights of the Redline, and truly think the Solstice looks better with that done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts