Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the rumor mill at GMI:
http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=12564&page=1&pp=20

My experience is they've been very hit and miss - from adamant posts of supercharged solstice engines, to a Sunfire off the Kappa :lol:, to the "absolutely confirmed return of the Camaro," but thought it might be interesting, anyway. I think similar article was posted at skyroadster.

From that thread:

GMI Exclusive: Saturn SKY Redline and Vortec 6000 Gen II said:
...Source: Undisclosed

Saturn SKY Redline:
6 months after the production of the Saturn SKY, GM will introduce a Saturn SKY Redline, which will be powered by a turbocharged 253HP 2.0L Ecotec engine. Can you say Miata eater?
and a later post
...ALSO NOTE: The 2007 Solstice GT will also be powered by the same Turbocharged 2.0L...
Remember to take these statements with a grain of salt - GMI has a history of trying so hard to be the absolute "first scoop" that their information tends to be inaccurate. Fast and timely but half accurate information is not that useful - but if this rumor ends up being anywhere close, maybe that 5.4 second Solstice isn't too far off.

Chalk another up on the turbo side... don't worry SC fans, it ain't over till we push the accelerator and smell the tire smoke!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If the time frame is correct then it'll make me a lot happier getting the normal Solstice now. Because that would put the Solstice GT as coming out the end of 2006 as the 2007 model as they mention.

·
5,600 Posts
A 250 HP turbo 2.0 sounds like it would be maximizing horsepower at the expense of torque. I don't think they should be copying the torque characteristics of the S2000 engine. I would really prefer a 2.4L HO motor to maximize torque for whatever HP numbers they want to achieve.

Then again it is moot to me as I don't plan on buying a Solstice or Sky with an HO motor. 180 HP is good enough for me these days. When I was 21, I didn't have the maturity to accept that.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimbo,

There is a Saab V6 motor and an astra 4 cyl ecotec motor that are TC and seem to be making impressive peak torque at surprisingly low RPMS. It is concievable that Pontiac/Saturn could be leveraging this knowlege.

It might be too much to wish for, though. You may be right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And SAAB needs some work right now...They have "committed" to its future, so maybe this is what might be in the HiPo Solstice.

What are the dimensions on that V6? Could it fit in the Solstice with minor modifications?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure nobody knows the dims, but IIRC, it was a 2.8 liter, making 250hp. If it is similar in size to the old Fiero V6 2.8l, I don't think the dimensions are really that much different (the 2.8l pushrod V6 was a relatively small V6) from an ecotec.

I'd think the turbo housing and manifold/plumbing may take up more room yet, though. But I'm just POOMA. (Pulling Out of My....). We know the chief engineer for the program has already said that the Solstice will not get a V6 - so that's not likely to be the engine being utilized, if that's where you are going, byebmw. Besides, it was only making 250 hp :) Ya gotta have that extra three horsepower.

excerpt from C&D on Saab 9-3 SportCombi said:
...What some might find surprising is the powerplant in the high-performance Aero derivative. Sporting variable intake valve timing, dual overhead cams, and a twin scroll turbocharger, the all-new 2.8-liter V-6 stirs up 250 horsepower, with a healthy 258 pound-feet dose of torque...
This is the reason for a little caution before taking the rumor to the bank - why would gm produce a turbo 2.0l 4 cyl and a turbo 2.8l V6 making pretty much the same power?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
This is the reason for a little caution before taking the rumor to the bank - why would gm produce a turbo 2.0l 4 cyl and a turbo 2.8l V6 making pretty much the same power?
And then why would they make available a 253hp 2.0 in the Kappa and not offer same mill in Cobalt. Okay, rumor starts here, Cobalt SSX, 253 hp in 2007. This is more hp than the new 3900 V6 in the upcoming G6 GTP !!!

GMi post also said (NaCl) the Sol Gt would have new lower front fascia. That would explain the slightly different look to the Colorado spy shots.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
I think the real question is why would GM destroke the 3.6L high feature to 2.8L's, and then turbocharge it to bring it back to the 250HP the original 3.6L mill made. Is it just to preserve the Sabb-ness in their Swedish brand name? That would be a funny reason considering the badge engineered 9-2X Saabaru, and the 9-7x Saablazer are not Swedish in any respect.

GM does not always make total sense here. I think it would be conceivable that they would make a turbo V6 and a turbo 4 cylinder, both in the mid 200's with power. Chances are the power delivery characteristics of both engines would be very different, giving different driving driving experience. Also, as Rickaday has taught us, not everyone thinks a turbo 4 banger belongs in a premium vehicle. Maybe the turbo 6 is for cars needing a more upscale appearance, even without a lot of added power.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I think the real question is why would GM destroke the 3.6L high feature to 2.8L's, and then turbocharge it to bring it back to the 250HP the original 3.6L mill made. Is it just to preserve the Sabb-ness in their Swedish brand name? That would be a funny reason considering the badge engineered 9-2X Saabaru, and the 9-7x Saablazer are not Swedish in any respect.

GM does not always make total sense here. I think it would be conceivable that they would make a turbo V6 and a turbo 4 cylinder, both in the mid 200's with power. Chances are the power delivery characteristics of both engines would be very different, giving different driving driving experience. Also, as Rickaday has taught us, not everyone thinks a turbo 4 banger belongs in a premium vehicle. Maybe the turbo 6 is for cars needing a more upscale appearance, even without a lot of added power.
A boosted 6-cy would be a great engine for an upscale Buick/Cady Kappa car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
A boosted 6-cy would be a great engine for an upscale Buick/Cady Kappa car.
:agree: Yes it would.

The car would be upscale based on the motor, even if it wasn't significantly more powerful than a turbo 4 banger Solstice/Ski. It would also not begin to infringe on the performance of GM's more expensive sports cars (XLR, Corvette).

·
Registered
96 Posts
We know the chief engineer for the program has already said that the Solstice will not get a V6 - so that's not likely to be the engine being utilized, if that's where you are going, byebmw. Besides, it was only making 250 hp Ya gotta have that extra three horsepower.
I was never implying that I thought the V6 was the IT motor...Just leaving an open mind to possibilities. Hence the reason why I asked if the V6 was an easy fit in the Solstice.

Honestly, I feel it will be a HiPo Ecotec, either supercharged or turbo. GM has showed a lot of potential in the Ecotec, and I think this is an engine they really pushing in this size of car. Power should be the 253 hp we have heard about.

Anyone know of Solstice possibilities for Europe and Asia? The Solstice would sell well in those two areas, and future markets will dictate a lot of Solstice development, engine choices, etc. If so, the Ecotec makes even more sense...But anything is possible. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
byebmw said:
Anyone know of Solstice possibilities for Europe and Asia? The Solstice would sell well in those two areas, and future markets will dictate a lot of Solstice development, engine choices, etc. If so, the Ecotec makes even more sense...But anything is possible. ;)
The Sky will be sold in Euro land as the Opel GT.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
byebmw said:
I was never implying that I thought the V6 was the IT motor...Just leaving an open mind to possibilities. Hence the reason why I asked if the V6 was an easy fit in the Solstice.

Honestly, I feel it will be a HiPo Ecotec, either supercharged or turbo. GM has showed a lot of potential in the Ecotec, and I think this is an engine they really pushing in this size of car. Power should be the 253 hp we have heard about.

If you look at the wimpy little 90hp Opel sticks in the Tigra then 177hp Kappa will feel like a 'vette to them. They won't 'need' our HO engine.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
If you look at the wimpy little 90hp Opel sticks in the Tigra then 177hp Kappa will feel like a 'vette to them. They won't 'need' our HO engine.
Actually Opel makes some of the best ECOTEC varients out there besides SAAB. They've got several 200HP Turbocharged versions powering their cars like the Astra and Speedster, and now they have the 250HP Turbocharged OPC engine as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2.8 turbo should, in regular cruising situation, get better mileage than a 3.6 (even though the 3.6 has no turbo)...remember that those larger combustion chambers require more fuel to be at the right air-fuel mix...throw in the same RPM and a 3.6 is burning more fuel to do the same job as a 2.8 that is not generating a significant amount of boost. Now, throw boost into the mix (during acceleration, etc.) and the whole fuel consumption thing swings the other way since there is much more air being pumped in.

Also, if I recall correctly, Euro markets make you pay for displacement. Smaller displacement engine with the same hp would be cheaper to own due to lower fees/taxes.

Fformula88 said:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not sure where put this in, so I guess here is as good as any. During our GM Broadcast this pm, the moderator (Chief Marketer,) said in response to why would GM allow Saturn to market the same vehicle, his answer was basically, "same PLATFORM, diffeent sheet metal, colors, interior, powerplant." Also, only the 2.4 ECOTECH for 2006 models, stated that there are no plans to add a 2.0 turbo, or any other motor to the line-up for the Solstice

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
conejo148 said:
Not sure where put this in, so I guess here is as good as any. During our GM Broadcast this pm, the moderator (Chief Marketer,) said in response to why would GM allow Saturn to market the same vehicle, his answer was basically, "same PLATFORM, diffeent sheet metal, colors, interior, powerplant." Also, only the 2.4 ECOTECH for 2006 models, stated that there are no plans to add a 2.0 turbo, or any other motor to the line-up for the Solstice
So if that is true then any engine upgrade will only be on Sky. Humbug, I say, BAAAH HUMBUG :(

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Also, only the 2.4 ECOTECH for 2006 models, stated that there are no plans to add a 2.0 turbo, or any other motor to the line-up for the Solstice/
To me this means 2.4VVT Eng ONLY, so you could still have a SC or TB 2.4VVT motor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts