Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I already posted this on the SkyRoadsterForum but thought some Sol owners would find it interesting. Part Sky w/a Chevy Colorado truck bed.

Someone posted this on FB, and they know nothing else about it other than what they post that's its called the Skyrado for the 24 hours of Lemons. In one of the pics you can see a glass door that says Redline Performance on it, so I'm thinking it could a a shop project.

I was trying to find the date of this event but it looks like the 24 hours of Lemons has become a victim of it's own success since it now is held on multiple dates and venues, and even different countries. I would imagine that Covid-19 may affect some of this years events.
91893115_1516082505233016_1612371297474445312_n.jpg 91613073_1516082578566342_7593360913558667264_n.jpg 91747490_1516082535233013_6321833414626377728_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Don't think this is going to qualify for the race they have a $500.00 limit as far as purchase and prep goes and this car/truck well exceeds that information from 24 Hours of Lemons website .

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't think this is going to qualify for the race they have a $500.00 limit as far as purchase and prep goes and this car/truck well exceeds that information from 24 Hours of Lemons website .
If this car is indeed for lemons, it can easily qualify.

For starters, the $500 does not apply to safety (including brakes) or cosmetics. Only initial purchase price and performance upgrades.

Second, anything you sell off the car gets deducted from the purchase price. So if you sell off some of the more desired parts such as taillights, bumper covers, cupholders, seats, etc., you can make up a huge chunk of change.

Third, if that fails you're encouraged to "bribe" the tech inspectors. If you have a set of BC coilovers on the car, the inspector might overlook them if he also finds a bottle of single malt scotch in the trunk.

Forth, if the tech inspectors still don't believe your money figures, you're simply assessed a number of BS penalty laps that you have to make up. So you might be out of contention, but can still compete.

And lastly - and this one is important for the serious legacy teams - after each race your car is re-evaluated taking into consideration what it went through in its last race. Even if it took the green flag as a "$1000" car, it'll probably be a "$750" car by the next race. Then finally a "$500" by its third.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
........ In one of the pics you can see a glass door that says Redline Auto Parts on it, so I'm thinking it could a a shop project.........
In the "For What Its Worth" department, the Red Line is Red Line Performance in Bloomington IL, not Redline Auto Parts (Motorsports) in Orlando FL.
The interior pictures could have been taken at one of their "Dyno Days".

·
Registered
326 Posts
Uhhhh..... it sounds like Phil is well versed on the 24 hours of lemons. lol!
Just trying to prevent the spread of mis-information haha!

It honestly looks more like a ChampCar build to me - but there has been a team campaigning a base solstice in lemons at the Joliet races for a bit as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Phil is correct. I've been to many LeMons races while working with the race team Retro Racing out of Birmingham. We run a VW Super Beetle. I'm the team photographer and gofer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
oh no!! not a classic collectable vw supper beetle!!!:eek::giggle: supers wernt really collectable, most are ready for the:poop: pile so this is a fitting end for it. and probably the most fun ever had in it!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts